Author Topic: PC vs. Mac  (Read 51610 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: PC vs. Mac
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2010, 13:47:45 »
Mike,
with all respect I have to disagree, these machines were not dreadful at all but very reliable.
I used my first Mac II for office work (until the Quadra came out) but had several siblings in the lab, a MacSE and a MacIIfx. The SE arrived in 1988 together with an instrument under its control (a 96-well microplate reader if you want to know) and both were still functional and very useful when I retired in 2007!  Never replaced the hard drive, or either processors (it also had a floating point co-processor).  The only problem I had was that the IT group did not allow the computer to be linked to the first local net when it was installed since these guys were all Microsoft brain-washed (but a smart grad student figured out a method to beat them anyway  :) )
When I bought my second reader 5 years later the company had decided to couple its newer version with a PC.  Why? Because they liked the fact that they could sell a very expensive maintenance contract - the reader didn't make trouble, no the computer always needed to be worked on because every time MS changed something (which had to be installed as mandated by the IT department) the interface was screwed up and a company technician had to fix it again.  >:(  Nice little racket - wouldn't you say?

Alfred, you usually disagree with me anyway!  But nonetheless, in the CEPS front end applications, where we were working with early versions of Quark Xpress, and other proprietary software for imaging; Adobe's first products, PostScript in its early generations, expensive fonts, and file sizes that were orders of magnitude greater than any laboratory or office application--the MAC's were dreadful.  I was there.  But, nothing had been ported yet to a PC.  The problem was really that our needs were far greater than the hardware was up to; and the software wasn't there yet either.  The limits of hardware and software were being pushed; we were on the edge.  Aside from security issues prevalent today because of the internet, all the foilbles that people complain about with PC's and their operating system, the system crashes, etc. were all there on the Mac.  Just because you didn't experience them doesn't mean they didn't exist.  It just means you had simple applications, in a relative sense.  ;)  This was the dawn of the digital imaging arena.  JPG didn't exist.  File compression didn't exist.  Color images coming from room sized scanners and were hundreds of megabytes in size.  Remember this is a time when main memory was typically 640K.  Disk drives topped out at 300MB, and those were enormous and cost $15,000.  We had to use virtual drives with images spread out over several drives.  When it came time to create a PostScript RIP, our vendors chose a UNIX system running on a PS2--the MAC just could not cut it at that time.  They chose Unix because they needed real-time; they chose PS/2 because its expansion bus, though proprietary was superior at the time to generic PC's.  These kinds of problems were to be expected--we were porting what were mainframe applications to the desktop world, and the first to do so.  I worked for a firm called Scitex, and then independently serving their customers for many years.  (N.B. you can go to most file format lists and see something called "Scitex CT"; yes, that's the original full color, 32-bit, CMYK digital image format).  Scitex was created by a man who saw commercial applications from the digital imaging work he did for the Israeli Defense Forces and the U.S. Government with satellite imagery in the 1960's.  Scitex's team of brilliant Israeli engineers invented digital imaging as we know it, and developed all the core products that feed that market today--scanners, image processing, ink-jet printing, CTP, imagesetters, platesetters and related.  They stuck with proprietary hardware and it eventually killed them--but parts of them live on in HP and Kodak today.  The photo below shows a mainstream mid-1980's CEPS system--this is the back end of what the Macs were used for on the front end.  It took 10 tons of air conditioning to keep the equipment cool, and a 50 kVa power supply.  The photo is at Parade Magazine, which was an early adopter of the technology; I trained the entire company.

But as I mentioned, that was then.  Tightening of the software, and the introduction of things like file compression (JPG) and skyrocketing capacities of memory and disk drives made everything work.  You should note that Apple abandoned NuBus, SCSI, their proprietary memory schemes, etc, and finally went to more robust and lower cost peripherals made popular on the PC platform.  They even abandoned the Motorola processors and use--gasp!  I N T E L!!

And the purpose of my post was to explain WHY I had abandoned the Mac early on; not to point at any present problems.  Now the issue is I've been away for so long, I have to really get smart before making any kind of purchase decision.

I'd never go with an integrated unit--I change monitors too frequently.  I know I need a LOT of memory to work efficiently.  Folks, some of the PHOTOS (single photos) used for the Pagoda Style book are in excess of 20MB to start; when they get layered in Photoshop they grow, sometimes to 100MB.  Disk I/O speed is paramount, since every time you update or save, you are re-writing these enormous files.  Processor speed (net useful; not just speed in gHz) is paramount, too.  One digital photo filter I applied recently to Gus Monahu's page took nearly 10 full minutes of computation to process.  Of course when you sit and wait for this to happen, those 10 minutes seem like an eternity.  These are applications and procedures that dwarf most internet surfing and office apps.

So, I'm listening to all these things.  I am appreciating all the advise and suggestions, which focus my search efforts.  And when I can beat my way past the teeny boppers with their iPhone issues, I'll visit the Mac store.  One thing that still is dreadful about Macs is their distribution model. >:(  For a company with less than 20% market share and nowhere to go but up, with generally acknowledged better hardware and user experience than the collective PC world, that distribution model is holding them back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 16:00:39 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2010, 16:38:16 »
Mike.

You are THE target audience for a MacPro... I know, I have one too!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 13:03:26 »
Mike.

You are THE target audience for a MacPro... I know, I have one too!

Peter

I'm coming to figure that out.  The early MacPro's are still commanding $1,500-$2,000; some higher when equipped.  The immediate predecessors, G5 towers dual core, are more down to earth but usually are not coming with enough memory or disk space, so you have to add, add, add...

What I'm hoping to find is some photographer/designer with a 2-4 year old MacPro properly equipped that wants the latest...then maybe he can have an exit strategy and me, and entry one.  I've posted on Craig's List just that.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2010, 16:46:06 »
You said you weren't going to make a switch until you'd finished the book?

Here's the trick. I have a MacPro, two models back. Still plenty of horsepower (2 x 2.66 GHz dual core Xeon processors, i.e. 4 CPU's). I bought it from an Apple reseller that had it as a demo machine, until after it's successor came out. No-one wanted to buy this expensive machine, especially now there was a newer model out... I revisited that store once a month or so for 4 months. Then I told the boss the truth: " you'll be stuck with that machine forever... however, I'll take it off your hands for 50% off", and waved some cash in front of him.

10 minutes later I walked out with the box. I then bought extra RAM (I have 9 GB now, and extra SATA II hard drives (at less than $100 per 1TB) and I reckon this box will last me another 5 years at the least. I've had it for almost 2 years now, and it already was a year old when I got it. The performance difference between my box and the latest model is probably only around 40%... and I've always said that if a PC isn't at least twice as fast on everything, you wont notice the difference.

The physical build quality of a MacPro is amazing. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing like anything you've ever seen in the PC world.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2010, 19:10:47 »
Since my first computer purchase was in 1992 you can call me a late bloomer. Therefore any contribution of a technical nature I might make would probably be irrelevant to this discussion.

I can however provide some interesting commentary on the man behind the machines. Because of where I live,  I have been in close proximity to Steve Jobs on two occasions. While strolling at the local mall I recognized him in a high-end sunglasses store perusing the merchandise. Sitting just outside while eating my ice-cream cone allowed me to spy on him. Each pair of sunglasses he picked up became subject to a thorough engineering  examination. I witnessed his self induced "robotic trance" as he meticulously analyzed each feature and methodically categorized their shortcomings.

The other time was when the local AppleStore opened. On the first day of business he was there in person. As we walked up to the store we saw a metallic blue Viper GTS , with traffic cones all around it,  right smack in front of the store. The King was holding court, and entry to the store required a some kind of special pass.

As an aside, can you imagine a dweeb like Bill Gates behind the wheel of a Viper?   Scary

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2010, 21:03:46 »
As an aside, can you imagine a dweeb like Bill Gates behind the wheel of a Viper?   Scary
Larry in CA

You're right Larry - it's hard to imagine that someone who is donating over $10 billion to vaccinating children in the poorest countries (i.e. Bill and Melinda Gates) against deadly diseases, also holding court while us mere mortals can gawk at his Viper. Different strokes!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 23:05:34 »
Peter--find me a deal like that and I'll move on it!  The distribution model is different here, I think...there's Best Buy (limited selection) and the Apple Store.  I went into Best Buy today and chatted up the kid for a bit.  He agreed with me about the Apple store--at least it isn't just me.  He said he gets a lot of "annoyed" customers coming in to Best Buy because they can't even walk into the Apple store, you need an "appointment" to LOOK at a computer.  Again, it's not a lot of buyers at the Apple store, it's 95% gawkers; kids dreaming about air books; problems with the iPod, playing with all the iPhones, iPod Touch, stuff like that.  People--serious people--who want to look and poke and ask questions, etc. can't get far in an Apple Store.  I have to see if there are any Apple retailers around that have a full line.  Have not seen any, but that may be just because I didn't look yet.  But all the places that used to sell computers around here are gone.

Was surprised to see full CD copies of Snow Leopard--the latest OS--for $29!  $49 if you want a "family 5-pak".  Now's that's an eye opener.  Current price for a Win7 license--upgrade only--is over $100~.  That's for the home version, and not the full version either.

And yes, I won't give up the PC until the book is done.  It really gives me no issues, and there's a continuity issue.  Go with what you know.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 02:28:20 »
So....

Thanks in part to this thread -- and partly my own good sense, today I made the switch (back). Bought an Imac and a Macbook. My teenage daughter had been bugging me but I really wanted a laptop myself, so I compromised -- a pretty white one that is mine but she gets to use it.... The Imac is mainly for mommy and me. Other kids get this Dell. The Macs are Just so cool -- love them already. However, like all things computer -- it didn't take long for me to have a hang-up. Hoping you guys can help... Here it is:

My plan was to continue to use my PC as out third computer since it has a lot of stuff amassed over the years and still works ok. For homework, etc. It has the DSL modem hooked to it. I had hoped to add a router? to the PC -- so the two new macs could get Internet wirelessly. The Mac people seemed to think no problem. The girl sold me Airport Express for this purpose. Problem is I don't think its right. It has one ethernet jack. The DSL Modem has one ethernet jack which ties it to my PC. If I unhook it from computer to go to Airport Express, my connection is gone. I am thinking maybe I need Airport Extreme or a Netgear product to accomplish what I want? Anybody know about these things?

So for the meantime I am here on this PC, just gazing at that pretty Imac over there... can't wait to see some Pagodas on that screen  :)

James
63 230SL

w113dude

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:59 »
James,

The Mac people seemed to think no problem. The girl sold me Airport Express for this purpose. Problem is I don't think its right. It has one ethernet jack. The DSL Modem has one ethernet jack which ties it to my PC. If I unhook it from computer to go to Airport Express, my connection is gone. I am thinking maybe I need Airport Extreme or a Netgear product to accomplish what I want? Anybody know about these things?

You should hook up your DSL modem to your new Air port Express, This way all your computers would have Wi-Fi. if all your computers are on the same floor and not much concrete barriers you should have wireless to all three computers, Provided they all have wireless capability. If your PC is not Wi-Fi ready then you can buy a small router ($30.00) at best buy and you'll be set.
I use Airport Express for three Macs, works perfect.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 12:28:52 »
Jim,

Shaun is right.  However, I can't believe they sold you something like AirPort without at least briefing you on how to use it!  That's crazy.  If you go to the Apple website or just google airport express you'll find the connection information.

This is a clear case of the entirely different mode of thinking used by Apple.  You are used to PC-Land like me, where you would have in your home a "static" (i.e. non-movable) device such as a NetGear or D-Link Wireless Router, complete with antenna (wireless-G) or several antennas (wireless-N) and it isn't something you would generally want to move or take with you anywhere.  It's an essential part of your home network.

While the Airport Express will certainly work like that, they also anticipate it being a mobile device that you take with you.  The appropriate device for comparison to what you are used to is not the Airport Express, but rather the Airport Extreme.  The Extreme is more traditional, sized for static placement; and has 4 Ethernet ports in addition to wireless.  So, you connect the Extreme to your DSL/Cable modem, connect your printer, and "main" computer hard-wired to the ethernet ports, and the rest of the computers in your house (probably not in your home office) use the wireless.  Because the Express has no external antennas and is so small, I'd like to say its range is limited.  I just bought, last week, a D-Link DIR655.  It sits on the second floor of my home in the corner.  I have extremely strong signals even with my daughter's iPod Touch in the basement--and this is something we did NOT have when we had wireless-G.  The new one is wireless-N, and has three antennas and dual simultaneous bands much like the Extreme.  My router installed in about 5 minutes, without any real issues but the software was bad--kept coming up with error messages that were not real.  It's in and works, and probably won't require much attention.

Best to read the documentation; I do know for certain on the D-Link, Netgear routers that the Ethernet cable you use for connection from Modem-->Router is DIFFERENT that Router-->computer or printer.  They tell you to use the enclosed cable but don't often tell you that it is required.  The difference is one of the cables is straight-through, and the other is a cross-over and are not interchangeable.

The Express is just another way of Apple thinking...they anticipate, for example, you travelling to a hotel room (just one example) where they have a hard-wired internet connection at the desk.  Normally you take your computer and physically connect it.  With the Express, you connect that instead, and now your laptop is wireless in your hotel room, on the balcony, or whatever.

BTW, the Apple routers are pricy.  The Extreme is about $180; technically it does no more than a $99 D-Link on sale this week at OfficeMax:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod450066&history=fdcsdoxx|prodPage~15^freeText~routers^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

BUT, it offers, from what I can see (and I'm sure there are Mac folks that would agree) significantly better software and ease of connection with Mac networks...provided of course, they tell you how to connect it! ;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:37:35 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 13:52:18 »
Michael and Shaun, thank you -- you are both helping me understand this. And quicker than the geek squad I must add...

It seems my idea was for one static home base (the PC) and that the Extreme would have been better than the Express. Maybe the Apple girl assumed my PC was wireless already -- tried to explain it but my head was spinning from all the Mac stuff. Anyone been in one of those Mac Stores. The happening Place here in Northern California. Anyway. Looks like two choices: go all wireless or get another "router".  I think my PC might be wireless ready -- how would I know for sure?

In either case, the Imac is asking me for a password to my 2wire DSL modem. How the heck to I find that .. tried the usuals but really have no clue (if I even had one)... As you can see I am kind of non-techie...
James
63 230SL

SteveK

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 13:59:39 »
One other item you might consider buying at Best Buy is the Belkin transfer cable that allows you to hook your new Mac to the PC and it will automatically find all of your music, documents and files and copy them to the Mac.  It cost under $50 and by loading the supplied software in each machine does this transfer in about 5 minutes.  A lot better than going and trying to transfer each file individually!

w113dude

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2010, 15:08:20 »
James,

If your teenage daughter is anything like my teenage son she can do this in a blink, this kind of stuff come to them like second nature. :)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 15:16:59 »
Jim,

The password is one provided by your ISP.  2Wire just makes the hardware.  Contact the tech support on whoever supplies your DSL or cable service for support.  Or, check some of the original documentation that came with your DSL and the hardware provided such as the modem.  None of my routers ever had the password set up, and the new one recommends NOT setting up the password.  All it is used for is access for some setup information--once that is done it is likely you'll never use it agaiin. (My last router was a wireless-G.  Paid about $100 for it 3 years ago.  Today, there were dozens of them on eBay for .99 to $10, and NONE had any bids.  It's trash now.  Never had to access the setup except at initial install.)

That being said, if you plan on travelling and need the portability of the the Airport Express, keep it.  If not try to return or exchange it because it isn't what you really need.  You really want the Extreme, or something similar to what I highlighted (such as the DIR655).  The Apple website does a good job of explaining the differences.

And yes, the entire Apple store experience is dreadful unless you are a Gen-X or Gen-Y person that thrives on that sort of uncontrolled chaos.  G-d forbid you should choose to go there on a Saturday!  There's a lot of salespeople around that are like brainwashed acolytes of a bizarre religious cult.  You want to speak with the one or two real technical gurus that the stores have.  The sales people I spoke with were extremely friendly but really knew very little about the details of the hardware and how it works with the particular software I use.

Jim--many PC's are NOT wireless w/o an installed card.  Most LAPTOPS have wireless built in.  Best to go to your original documentation and see what they gave you.  If your PC is more than 2 years old it probably does not have a wireless card installed.  They often have an external antenna.  That's one reason why my PC is connected hard-wire to the router.  The hardwire connections are also faster.  Gigabit ethernet (hardwired) is generally up to 1 gigabit per second data transfer.  The fastest you'll get out of a Wireless-N is up to about 800 megabits per second, but there are a LOT of variables on wireless performance.  If your router will be "permanently" installed, best to use a hard wire.  Let the roving remote devices such as the family laptops, netbooks, iPhone, iPod-Touch etc. access the router by wireless.

In my home, I have the hard wires.  Wife and child use the wireless.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 15:30:01 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 17:52:29 »
Thanks Mike,

Here is a progress report: First off, I am on the IMac! and it is connecting wirelessly through the Express (which is attached to my DSL). That is the good news. Bad is, once I hooked ethernet from DSL Modem to the Express, the PC is not cooperating. I installed airport utility on it -- but it says it cannot find an apple wireless base station. Since its literally one feet away and working with the Imac, I think my PC is not up to speed. So I could add a card? or hardwire, correct?

I like the idea of hardwiring both the IMac and the PC since they are in the same room, thus the term Computer Room for where I am... So I think I may have to head to Staples (best buy is 30 miles away -- apple store 50) which is a few minutes away. I will look into the DIR655 or comparable. I want N right? I am still not sure how I can hardwire two computers using my DSL Modem. It has only one Ethernet jack?

Appreciate all the help -- makes changing points seem like a walk in the park!
James
63 230SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2010, 19:20:10 »
OK Jim, it's like this.  Sounds like your PC has no wireless card.

For the routers, yes you want "N"; and you want a N-Extreme.  It can be the D-Link (just order it, it'll be at your home in a day or two!) or the AirPort Extreme, or any other that you might choose.  That one I pointed to, the DIR-655 has good reviews--I bought it and it's taken me WAY longer to explain all this to you than it did to install mine.

There will be FIVE RJ45 Ethernet connectors or ports on the back of the router.  ONE will be separate from the others and probably marked WAN.  That's for the DSL modem.  The other 4 are just labeled 1-4.  They are for devices such as computers or printers.

The DSL/Cable modem connects via a cable (it will come with the Router) to the Router's WAN port.  Should all be clearly labeled.

The iMac and the PC in your case will connect with cables in your computer room.  That's 2 of the device ports.   If your printer has an ethernet port, use that too.  That's the 3rd port, and you have a spare.

All other devices external to the computer room will need to be "wireless enabled" as most laptops/phones/iPod Touch etc. are, or if you have another, remote and older PC w/o a card, you'll need to get and install a wireless card for that.  Alternatively you can get "wireless USB" sticks, they look like thumb drives.  If you have a USB port free on you computer, just get one of those (about $30) and use that instead of a card.  Check out one made by MediaLink:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Adapter-Windows-Compatible/dp/B002RM08RE

The N spec is pretty robust and I bet you can get good reception outside in your backyard.  :)  And of course, throughout the house, too.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 19:25:55 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2010, 22:01:21 »
Great news!  I am on the couch in the family room surfing the Pagoda world! I ended up explaining my situation to best buy and yet another GenY person sold me on a Linksys N router (on sale for 79). This allowed me to get that Belkin file transfer cable that Steve mentioned. They did not have the D-Link by the way -- anyway, it was a snap to set up and as of now I have wireless throughout the house, but am hardwired in the computer room. I am going to see if I can get them all to the printer wirelessly?

Now to figure out how to transfer the files, especially itunes which I have 100s invested in. Then photos etc. Thanks friends.

Mac is Back in Town!
James
63 230SL

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 22:27:54 »
All the discussion here finally convinced me to buy a Mac so have got myself an iMac 22.5" and a MacBook Pro. about four weeks ago. None of it hard wired to the net and all using wireless both printer and internet connection.  Working fine, operator needs training though.

I then used a Switch-to-Mac Cable (AUD$90)and transferred all the files across relatively simply and now only have to work out how to use all the new programs properly.

It is taking some learning and frustration but will eventually get there.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:11 »
Jim,

You probably ended up with the Cisco/Linksys WRT310N.  The main difference between this router (and those similar) and the D-Link I mentioned (and those like it) is the fact that the latter is a dual-band, with its wireless broadcasting over 2 simultaneous frequencies.  Also, it has 3 external antennas (as similar models do) and thus has a greater range.  Since we have these crazy "holes in the ground" in middle America--things we call basements--I needed all the range I could get.  Previous router could not reliably transmit to the basement; the new one's signal is excellent throughout the home.

BestBuy has the Dlink on their website for $99 but I don't think they carry it in the store as you discovered.  They are funny that way.

But, as you discovered, installation is generally a snap when you have all the right parts.

File transfer should not be an issue--you just have to set it and walk away.  I'm sure the purpose-designed Belkin will help you out.

Regarding wireless printing: many printers that offer built-in wireless printing (such as mine) offer it as an "either-or" feature.  ALL access the printer wirelessly, or all access it through a USB or network port; you don't mix them.  Since I have my printer connected to my router's ports, all the computers in the house access the printer wirelessly not through its own wireless feature, but through the router.  My office PC is not hardwired to the printer, but to the router.  The printer is also hardwired to the router.  In the case of PC's, you probably have to install drivers on each PC that might access your printer.  In the case of the Mac's, I think it kind of figures it all out.  As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, when Peter van Es came to visit here for PUB, his Mac laptop found my printer, found the drivers, and he was printing in less time than it would have taken for any PC owner to download and install the proper drivers.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:13:36 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 22:46:14 »
Congrats James & Garry.

Garry the coolest thing about the Pro is the 1,2,3, &4 finger trackpad functions.  Swiping up, down, left & right makes navigating very pleasant.   If you want the break down let us know.   

As far as Apple stores, this Gen Y'r has never set foot in one.  Actually I try to refrain from electronic stores altogether.   Online is where it's at for my electronic needs.   Cheaper, easier, and faster.  Apple online and also the Apple refurb store is nice.

Like Mike said, just because it says Apple doesn't always make it better.   A simple router for 1/2 the price will work just as well.   

A site that does a decent job of Mac reviews is:  http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/

Welcome to the dark side!
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

SteveK

« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2010, 13:56:23 »
I don't understand why you guys don't like the Mac store, I just push the little squirts away and play with all the great toys. (I really don't push them, they just seem to move when they see me standing by ;D)

I was there about a month ago and walked out with the new "Magic Mouse".  Not sure it's really worth the money, but really fun and supper efficient to use.  (same deal as the touch plate on the Pro, just run your fingers over it to roll pages or blow up the script)  I guess thats why they call it magic!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 21:19:13 »
I revived this discussion, because I finally went and bought a Mac.  No, not new--but a used Mac Pro Tower.

Now that I finished the Pagoda book, of course, I buy the proper tools.  Really, the PC was and is pushed too far.

The Mac is several years old; it has 2 x dual core 3 GHZ Xeon Processors, and 8 MB of Ram.
For photos and layouts, there is no screen too big, and no disk r/w too fast.  Therefore, ordered and waiting for delivery are parts to customize.

240 GB Solid State hard drive, for the Lion OS-X operating system and applications.  This will assure fast boot up; fast start up of apps, and fast closure as well.
1 TB enterprise class hard drive--for files
27" Apple Cinema display.  This would have allowed me to view a 2-page spread at about actual size.

Of course I have to wait for all this stuff to arrive, and then "build it all".  But it sure looks easier so far than the water pump I did in July on the Pagoda.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 23:07:58 »
Congratulations Mike. I have been a Mac "person" for many years. I used be an IT manager at Boeing (Unix ws and 100s of PCs) and when I retired I didn't want to have that headache any more:-) I recently bought a 27" iMac and I know you will be very happy with that display. Hope that was a typo "8mb of memory". Lion need's a minimum of 2 gb.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 23:47:16 »
Mike,

As Chan (Dash 808) said, welcome to the dark side ;)
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2011, 21:28:16 »
Well, I'm not there yet!

Well, MOST of the parts have arrived.  The one missing part is the keyboard, to arrive on Monday.  Then I'll have all the parts ready to put this baby together.

My daughter borrowed the OS-X Lion USB key to install on her MacBook Pro, and that went well.

One last part I need to get is--believe it or not--a Windows 7 OEM disk.  Though most of my software comes in dual versions, there is still some thing I have that are PC only.  There will be one drive in the Mac Pro Tower that will be a Windows 7-only drive, where I can run these programs and others as I need to.

I'll post the results as I make them here.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid