Author Topic: Smartkey  (Read 5936 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Smartkey
« on: January 30, 2010, 02:04:03 »
I just bought another Benz to keep my Pagoda company in the garage, its a 07 E350, beautiful car but  it only came with one key (Smartkey) and I'm looking to get a spare. I see thewm on ebay but who knows if they will work or if the dealer will touch it if I have to go there for help.

Does anyone know if this is strictly a dealer item or can I find one that will work properly at a parts supplier? speaking of parts suppliers are there suppliers out there for newer  MB cars that are of the same caliber as the suppliers we know and love for the 113?
Mark

hauser

Re: Smartkey
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 03:10:31 »
If I'm not mistaken the new key will have to be programed.

Just over a year ago my ML ac stopped working.  The problem was with the module so it had to be replaced.  The new part came with it's own key and my other keys were programed to the new one.

Hope this sheds a little light on your key problem.  Before buying a key on ebay I would make sure it's compatible.

jacovdw

Re: Smartkey
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18:00 »
These keys are usually dealer only items (proof of registration/title required) and you will have to get it programmed by the dealer to "bond" with your car.