Author Topic: Rocker Panel Repair/Replace  (Read 4706 times)

a1handy

Rocker Panel Repair/Replace
« on: January 26, 2010, 09:36:45 »
I have a 280SL with rust consuming the drivers side rocker panel (actually two holes about the size of your fist). Any suggestion on how to repair this. Is there an aftermarket panel that can replace the existing panel, do I have to have a piece fabricated?  Any ideas would be appreciated on how I can go about this or where I can find parts, help and assistance.

knockmacool

Re: Rocker Panel Repair/Replace
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 13:05:59 »
Ty this outfit. Everyone speaks well of them.

http://www.kkmfg.com/index.php

jsaylor

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 07:11:20 »
Is it the actual rocker panel or the rocker panel cover?  I replaced both of mine on both sides including floors and lower firewall.  K&K had everything I needed.

a1handy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:27:18 »
As I get into this a little further I understand the actual rocker panel is the more substantial side rail of the car. The only thing I need is the actual metal that is exposed on the outside of the vehicle. It is possible that I need covers only. I am a little confused as to exactly what the cover is.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 10:30:56 by a1handy »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 12:23:14 »
The rocker panel cover is screwed to the side of the rocker panel. The rocker panel assembly which is everything from the floor out is in two pieces(Inner-outer and top).  As  someone who is far down the path of rust repair If I were you I would make a really thorough assessment before you start.

First buy your significant other an extravagant present. and then agree to a don't ask, don't tell arrangement.

If you are seeing that much rust there has to be more.  Take a look at the following areas:

Reach into the front fender well and on the inboard side up high you will find a small boxed section. Run you hand along the top of that and check for holes.

Check the frame rail directly behind the rocker panel on the inboard side. You might want to do some gentle tapping with a hammer to see what it sounds like.

Check out the other rocker panel. Again some tapping from below will reveal if it is full of rust.

Check out the floor just inside of the rocker panels.

get a small flashlight and look into the rust holes and see how the rest of the structure looks.

The rocker panel assembly is really integrated into the structure of the car.  To change the entire rocker panel assembly you will need to at least remove the lower rear portion of the fender and the front lower section of the quarter panel. Hopefully you will be able to just cut off what you need of the outer skin and section it in.

RickM

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 14:49:10 »
Excellent post Shvegel.

Curious if there are any 113 repair pictorials on the web. I know of two for the repair/replace of older 911s. They're quite informative.   

jeffc280sl

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 20:15:30 »
Here are some pictures of the area you are interested in. Let us know if you have any more questions.