Author Topic: speedometer  (Read 4297 times)

merl

speedometer
« on: January 18, 2010, 01:37:31 »
removed and repaired the "slip" /drive gear in the odometer  put togeather and spun it with a drill works great   problem trip # centered however millage #'s off center from top to bottom  can see about 2/3 of the numbers they appear even ie all in about the same position on the dial. all low relative to the opening. I do not see an adjustment to raise the numbers in the opening. have spent quite some time understanding how to repair but now i am stumped help please thanks in advance merl

al_lieffring

Re: speedometer
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 14:59:14 »
The problem is that there are 20 teeth on each wheel, appearantly when you reassembled the odometer the wheels are now one tooth off. the fix would be to slip one end of the shaft that holds the smaller idler wheels free of the frame and then pull the idlers away from the number wheels, then move each wheel one tooth to where the correct mileage shows up centered in the windows and then carefully reinstall the idler shaft.

merl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 16:31:26 »
makes sense   thanks did not count the teeth on the wheels assumed 10 will try today thanks

merl

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 20:37:12 »
fixed thanks     20 teeth who would have thunk it

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 17:07:25 »
You now have the skills to roll back odometers, back in the day, 36K was a popular setting.

merl

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 21:52:33 »
lieffring thanks
i'm now thinking perhaps if i reduce the millage would it replace an overhaul??