Author Topic: Weird problem  (Read 3135 times)

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Weird problem
« on: January 07, 2010, 14:46:11 »
Happy New Year to all!

I came across a weird problem.  1970 280SL with the transitsorized ignition system.

The car ran choppily prior to replacing the tank and using starter fluid up the intake.
Now after the new tank and cleaned fuel lines.  Filter was replaced before the starting as well as the oil and filter.
Tried to start and it didnt want to catch, plugs were wet.  So fuel is fine, but electrical.
Checked the distributor and found the rotor was split neatly in half.  Got a new one and put it in, but still no go.
Then looked around for bad connectors, checked the plugs and the coil wire was corroded.
Replaced that and then it ran, but badly.  Plugs 3 and 6 were wet.
Will replace the plug wires.

Now the weird problem.
Tried to start the next day but no go.  Nothing was out of place and the currents were going, but no spark.
There was a bit of a whitish vapor puffing out the filter on the IP when (the engine didnt start) letting go of the key(the engine was turning backwards a bit, maybe a 1/16 turn), is this normal?

Then I followed the running a jumper wire from the battery to the TTS and that jumped the engine a bit, but then tried again and it didnt jump.
Then tried the key and it fired up.  What gives here?

Puzzled at the odd behavior.

Walter
1967 220SL-diesel
1970 280SL-almost done
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 20:41:22 by waltklatt »

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Weird problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 01:17:06 »
chassis earth ok?
does the solenoid of the starter motor jump in when you touch the TTS?

away from that.... in my 250sl I found the carbon rod in the distributor cap that touches the rotor was cracked.
It was causing all osrts of problems.

I wonder why the rotor was split like that..... very strange.

Wonder about the white vapour..... maybe remove the IP filter and see if it happens again.
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Weird problem
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:20:29 »
Guess no one has any helpful hints for me.
Anyways, I found several problems and now am commencing to replacing the bad parts.
Will be up and running soon.
Thanks for all your help.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel
1970 280SL-almost done