Author Topic: 123 Distributor Updates  (Read 4709 times)

hauser

123 Distributor Updates
« on: January 02, 2010, 22:46:08 »
I would like to hear from those that have installed the 123 distributor.

How long have you had it.

How many mi/km you have driven.

Any problems?

A brief summary of your opinion with the 123.

Many Thanks

bpossel

Re: 123 Distributor Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:49:15 »
Hi Hauser,

I installed a 1-2-3 last Jan.  To date have put 3,484 miles on it.  No issues what so ever, works great  ;).
I installed the 1-2-3 because my distributor was worn out.  In the mean time, I purchased a nice used distributor from a fellow member.
If and when the 1-2-3 ever fails, I will most likely go back to the OE dis with Pertronix due to cost of the 1-2-3.  The 1-2-3 is a great product if your dis is worn and cant be repaired (ie later alum versions). 

Let me know if you have any add'l questions.
Bob

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:16:13 »
I've had mine since summer 2008. It's worked flawlessly since then. As I believe I reported before, there is a marked improvement in cold and idle running characteristics, and some increased power. I have not noticed a change in fuel consumption or cold/warm starting characteristics.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 14:22:58 »
Hi Hauser,

I installed mine in 2006 and after 15,000 miles haven't had any problems at all. Every time I service the car I check the timing and have never had to adjust anything.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 15:31:10 »
Hopefully not running contra to the discussion, I followed those who put in 123 and was very close to getting one after some jackass mechanic I put my car with because I didn't have time to sort a dizzy problem cracked the dizzy housing. However, Cees came to my rescue and very kindly sent me a new housing. I 'rebuilt' (=took apart, cleaned, replaced some bits, put back together) my 051 dizzy and all is well. I did quite a bit of research on the 123, and spoke to the guys in Wimbledon, London (Southern Carbs, not the Wombles; they don't drive) who seem to be the closest stockist in the UK. In all, I couldn't find anyone who had anything but praise for the 123 unit. There are some confusing discussions on this site about springs and whether things need to be modded or not; people can't seem to agree about that, but it's minor stuff. If Cees hadn't come to my rescue and taken away my lame excuse to buy one at the same time as a new housing I'd probably have one now (I know that makes little sense, btw).

That said, yesterday I finished servicing my car. Naj and I changed the oil, brake fluid, did the values and all that other stuff last month but never got around to doing the dwell, points, timing, etc. I did all that yesterday. I was surprised that after a year and admittedly only a few thousand miles and a year or so, the dwell was spot on at 38 deg and the timing was barely off at all. I played around with it a little, of course, but it needed little. I then took it for a long (very boring) high speed run (for me 80 mph is high speed) as part of my winter lay up plan. Anyway, my point  - if there is one - is that I like having points; my car seems to like them, too. If my dizzy does go one day, then I will opt for the 123, but I think I'd miss playing with a timing light, dwell meter, and tachometer. They're fun tools to play with.

Sorry, Hauser, that doesn't help much!

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 23:20:43 »
I have 123...for a year and a half now.  My car starts well, cold or warm. Runs fine. No maintenance needed. I recommend it.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!