Author Topic: Value RHD vs LHD  (Read 9337 times)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Value RHD vs LHD
« on: December 23, 2009, 23:33:11 »
Now here is an interesting question.

I notices that Drewtee (Andy) is selling his RHD 280 SL with the comment that RHD get a higher resale value in UK that LHD US models.  I could say the same here in Australia for the RHD and US LHD values also. 

Question.  Is the RHD vehicle more valuable than the LHD vehicle. Does rarity have a value as I can only assume that there is considerable less of them produced.
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
Re: Value RHD vs LHD
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 23:37:31 »
bad weather means rust & unfortunately the UK is famous for it   :(

....although i understand that decent RHD in OZ are few and far between?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:50:35 by Drewtee »
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

Richie B

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 22:57:03 »
Interesting point about value, reading the discussion on how many are there in the uk seems about 500 and they are not all RHD's ,so I would think this may have some effect in the future anyway. Now the Euro is almost 1to1 the gap is closing.

knockmacool

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 01:20:24 »
I buy the rust argument up to a point, but it does rain in a lot of places. The RHD is of more value than a LHD in countries like the UK because it is more practical- we drive on the left. I think the more pertinent question is why are (classic) cars in the UK more expensive than their continental or American equivalents.  Taxes, import duties may play a part in some jurisdictions. But unless we think the Indian subcontinent are going to become massive importers of classics, I can't see the reason.
Is there an argument that there is a greater affinity to classics in RHD countries? Hmmm.  Since post war car production in the UK was geared towards the export market maybe there is a shortage of classics compared to other economies (witness the huge amount of rhd conversions AH, Jags, etc)  Provenance/history is an issue here. Home markets should command the highest price for the best examples, but this is not the case with MB cars as they are sought the world over. So the provenance of a UK RHD Benz will add some value (in the UK)
Was the UK MOT more stringent than other vehicle tests thus reducing supply? Maybe, but not anymore.
I think Andy's observation is correct, but I wouldn't bank on the differential remaining static. Finally, is the huge number of UK classic dealers lead to an enthusiasts market where prices are also inflated?
HNY
Drew

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:06:06 »
It maybe has something to do with a smaller pool of RHD Pagodas to 'source' for restoration.  The fact that you cannot change a LHD pagoda into a RHD one must have an impact. XK's for instance can easily be converted and the price difference between a left and right hooker is narrower world wide on these cars.  

The valuation from my insurance company on my LHD Pagoda is quite a bit less than my red RHD car, even though similiar quality. In fact they would not agree to give the LHD car an agreed value without an independent report. My independent report gives my LHD car a £5k lower value.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:19:05 by Drewtee »
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

Eryck

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:33:47 »
This is of relevance to Hong Kong where only RHD cars can be registered - LHD cars can be driven but under very restricted circumstances.  I have seen a recent (3-4 years) surge in the Pagoda's popularity here in HK.  And where do they come from?  RHD countries like the UK and Australia but more from UK because cars in Australia are comparatively expensive.  HK is not a huge market in terms of number of cars but it does add to demand for RHD cars, nonetheless, especially exotics and classics.  Just my 2 cents.

Eryck

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:11:31 »
Having thought it over, I think that yes, there is more value for a RHD car but only in RHD markets.  For example, people here (and the UK) always say about the BMW 3.0 CSL and M635 that "there were only 500 or so RHD cars ever produced".  So yes, I think they may command a higher price due to their limited numbers but for LHD markets or markets that have both LHD and RHD cars like Japan, it should matter too much. 

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:52:41 »
That is all interesting comments. 

I lived in the US in the early 80's in Bucks County nth of Philadelphia and a friend of mine brought a RHD Pagoda there for next to nothing as it was unwanted and unloved by people in the USA due to its RHD configuration.  I looked around for a year after that whilst still there but did not find another unfortunately.  I remember driving a Maserati I owned to Norfolk to ship back home and my mate drove his Pagoda there to put on the same ship.  He still has it, I changed my Masarati to the Pagoda some years later and at four times the cost. And then I had to restore it :'(

Interestingly enough mine came from Scotland and still has the dealer plate on the door sill but the PO was not able to tell me how it got to Australia and so I don't have much detail on its earlier life. As Eryck indicated prices here are high but I don't think they are as high as the UK or Europe.  LHD Pagodas here really struggle to sell and normally don't get much more than $30k for a good condition non concourse driver where a RHD drive one in similar condition would get closer $50k.  Restored ones can get a premium on that of $25k and upwards depending how good.  With exchange rates getting better here against the USD and also the UK pound it makes for interesting times on where to buy or sell a Pagoda.

Whilst we can import a LHD drive Pagoda from the USA and register them and I believe Treedoc has done that recently, selling them for a reasonable price really needs to then be either in Europe or back to the USA which is not an easy task from so far away without actually sending it there on consignment.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 15:43:52 »
It's just a question of supply and demand.
Much fewer RHD cars available for a comparatively large market hence inflated prices.
The best case of all for me as someone in the trade is a UK buyer who wants a LHD!

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 23:14:24 »
RHD cars are much less worth in LHD countries like continental Europe. This holds at least true for MB cars. ;)
Achim
(Germany)

knockmacool

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:57:24 »
This was in my inbox today. 5 LHD sl113s  :o up for auction next month in the UK
http://www.classic-auctions.co.uk/lotdetail.php?lotid=28750&aucid=29335