Author Topic: White wall cleaning  (Read 6476 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
White wall cleaning
« on: December 08, 2009, 20:53:16 »
Guys,

I am sure there has been a discussion on this before but I cannot find the thread or anything in the Tech Manual.

12 months ago, after finding that the tyres on our car were over 20 years old - one disintegrated, but thats another story....... I bought a new set. White walls, same as  the ones being replaced. The tyres are fine, however I am frustrated that the white walls have yellowed. The car sits next to an Austin Healey 3000 and its white walls stay white.

Can anyone explain why my whites aren`t white (sounds a bit like a TV add for washing powder!!) and how I can keep them white. They are not dirty - just turn cream/yellow.

BTW,

For all of you thinking of winterising, we have our restrictions too - top down driving for the next coupe of months for us is restricted to early morning or evenings - its too hot otherwise. ;D

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: White wall cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 22:42:30 »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 00:11:00 »
Gary,

Thanks for the links. They all seem to focus on road grime etc but as I said, mine are clean, its just the white rubber has yellowed.

Last time I cleaned them I used a cake of Solvol - this brought them up well although it was serious hard work!

A common thread in the posts seems to be bleach, so I shall give that a try, rinsing carefully afterwards.

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

RickM

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 00:50:32 »
This is what I used back in the day... Wesley's Bleach-White http://www.northhantstyres.com/Tyre%20Cleaner.htm

Spray, let it soak in, light scrub and a rinse should do wonders.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 00:52:22 by RickM »

w113dude

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 00:56:44 »
Any spray degreaser will do the job. Spray & wipe before washing the car, works much better.

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 01:07:59 »
Throw everything at them, bleach, power washer, Comet, SOS or Brillo pad, WD40, Scotch Brite pad with the cleaners, etc.  Elbow grease and a combination of one or all of the above should do it.  I had brown stains in addition to graying.

Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

franjo_66

• Silver
  • Australia, NSW, Point Piper
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 02:06:04 »
Hi George

I recently bought Diamond Back white walls for my 230SL based on their claim (and lots of positive feedback), that their whitewall tyres don't turn yellow. Apparently most whitewalls eventually turn yellow because the chemicals from the black rubber eventually leach into the whitewall rubber. Then, over time, those chemicals will bleed right through to the surface of the softer white rubber, where light and air turn them yellow over their entire surface. Diamondback tyres claim to use a unique white rubber formula and their whitewall material is made up of three layers

They state that "the bottom layer is black rubber for maximum adhesion to the tire’s sidewall. It’s the exact same rubber formulation they use to make truck retreads — very strong stuff. That’s because “like materials” bond best. In the middle is a special butyl barrier layer. The butyl layer blocks the staining chemicals that will try to come through from the back. Nothing can pass through this layer. The white “face” layer itself is made up of my own white rubber formula. This is why Diamond Back claims its whitewalls are whiter, and that they will also stay whiter"

As for cleaning, this is what they state :
-----------------------------------------------------
CLEANING TIPS (No Bleach)

One of the first things you will notice is that Diamond Back Classics are extremely easy to clean. Most whitewalls turn dingy or yellow because of the leaching of chemicals (mostly anti-oxidants) into the white material. Because our process uses a butyl lining to stop chemical leeching, you only have to clean the surface dirt. We recommend frequent cleanings with an abrasive cleaning pad. A fine or medium sanding sponge works well. These are available at most hardware stores.

Any good cleaner works OK - Castrol Super Clean, 409, Simple Green, Greased Lightning - just to name a few. Avoid cleaners that contain bleach. Prolonged use of these cleaners can “dry” the whitewall surface. Do not use products such as Armor All on whitewall. This could cause slight discoloration. Whitewall surfaces tend to “dry” with time, heat, ozone, etc. A vigorous cleaning periodically will get rid of the dry surface and help maintain the tire’s beauty. Don’t be afraid to scrub.

---------------------------------------------------------------

As I've mentioned, I purchased a set of 205/70/14 Diamond backs with a 1" wide whitewall for my 230SL. The tyres are are manufactured by Cooper Tyres in the USA. I got a lot of positive feedback from various owners and forums before taking the plunge.

Rgds
Frank

Franjo

1965 230SL Black/Auto/RHD
2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1983 BMW 735i
1986 560 SEC
1991 500SL
1982 Holden Statesman DeVille

KevinC

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 02:33:22 »
This is what I used back in the day... Wesley's Bleach-White http://www.northhantstyres.com/Tyre%20Cleaner.htm

Spray, let it soak in, light scrub and a rinse should do wonders.

Its what I use....