Author Topic: Wiper motor for 230SL  (Read 52435 times)

justken2u

Wiper motor for 230SL
« on: November 17, 2009, 18:45:52 »
I'm building a FrankenBenz ... much more to follow on this with pictures in the coming months. I've been one of "those" guys who wanted to put a V8 into a 230SL and (yes, Dr. Benz) most of these never get completed. I've been working on and off on this thing for 15 years. This, however, is the year (well, maybe early next year). The computer with all of my current pictures is in the shop for a screen job, but I promise to come back and post a few. As mentioned in many other posts, there was a LOT of cutting that had to be done. The complete drive train has been replaced. The dash was also completely reconfigured. When completed, this will be a fuel injected, quad exhaust monster that at the low end will generate 330 HP and at the high end 400 HP depending on the chip.

That's the teaser .. now for the real question of the day ...

I need to replace the windshield wiper motor. Obviously from the extent of other modifications done to this car I'm not married to the necessity of replacing it with OEM parts. Anything that will fit and work is fine. Any suggestions (on the wiper motor that is ... I know that there will be a lot of buzz on both sides of the aisle about the ultimate end product. If we could save the beatings until I post pics and progress info I'd appreciate it!)

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:28:03 by justken2u »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Wiper motor for 230SL
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 18:54:33 »
Just wondering... you've clearly read a lot of the forum, but since you did not register until today, you've not been able to see a lot of pictures... why didn't you register before?

I suggest doing a search on windshield wiper motor...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

justken2u

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 19:38:00 »
Hello Peter ...

I'm actually not much of a forum guy. I was struggling with this particular part and somebody suggested I check out the forums. Obviously a ton of information here. Hopefully I'll be able to post more as the car progresses.

K

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 21:18:22 »
I don't get it. You're happy to go that far to mod the car and put in a big shiny engine, roll bars, etc (not passing judgement, mind, simply making an observation)....

...but you're asking about a wiper motor!????

Isn't that bit like the captain of the Carpathia asking the captain of Titanic what sort of iceberg he hit? (Okay, that's a judgmental comment; I couldn't help myself).

Actually, it must have taken a lot of work and commitment to get that far so good luck with the project and I hope it works out for you. I look forward to seeing the finished the product.

And sorry but I have no idea what sort of wiper motor you should use, but I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get away with anything as it's unlikely to be the first thing that purists latch onto as they search for evidence of non-originality.

Not that any of that helps, of course.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 21:41:21 »
The original wiper motor will obviously be easiest to install, assuming the linkage is all intact. But these can be hard to find used (and new ones pretty expensive, last I checked). I believe some of the 111 chassis cars (220s/sb/se, 230s, etc from the early 60s) had the same motor.

Alternatives depend on the orientation of the motor relative to the linkage. Even the wiper motor from an era 108 sedan would be tough to fit (at first glance), due to it's perpendicular orientation.

I guess what James is getting at is if you have come this far making/welding modifications, you can pretty much install any motor you choose.

Unfortunately, I've no answers.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 21:41:43 »
I think I'm missing something too.  Why would you not want to use a 113 wiper motor?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 21:50:53 »
I believe some of the 111 chassis cars (220s/sb/se, 230s, etc from the early 60s) had the same motor.
I looked it up on EPC.  The wiper motor for a 230 SL is either A1108200342 or A1108200442.   Those are common to the following:
110. 000, 001, 004, 010, 100, 104, 110   and   110. 000, 001, 002, 003, 004, 005, 010, 011, 100, 104, 110

So basically almost any 110 car has the same wiper motor.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

justken2u

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 22:39:04 »
Hey Scoot:

Very helpful information. At least now I can widen my search. James ... I hear ya! I guess the big thing about not using the motor from a 113 is first and foremost it would be tough to find a new one - at least at a reasonable price. I was hoping something similar and built in this century would fit. With the information from Scoot I can widen the search in hopes of finding a new one now at a reasonable price. Somebody has one of these things kicking around in a box that they need to get rid of.

Meanwhile, I've got a few spare parts that I will likely be listing. Everyone on here would probably lynch me to learn the trials and tribulations of all the parts that came off this car and which were either trashed or traded for empty promises ... neither one being my intention.

Here's one more teaser picture ... the current progress on the trunk mounted amplifier and sub woofer speakers.

Thanks for the help!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:44:17 by justken2u »

justken2u

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 22:53:08 »
Oh ... and Waqas! Thanks for your input as well ... forgot to thank you before hitting the Reply button!

K

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 01:19:12 »
I hear ya! I guess the big thing about not using the motor from a 113 is first and foremost it would be tough to find a new one - at least at a reasonable price. I was hoping something similar and built in this century would fit. With the information from Scoot I can widen the search in hopes of finding a new one now at a reasonable price.
If someone has a wiper moter in a box that is new I doubt that it's going to be inexpensive.  I would strongly consider getting a used one from a junkyard car.  Maybe next time I see a 110 at the junkyard I'll snag one myself.    I have a good motor from a 111 but I seem to have proven to myself that it isn't the same...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Witt

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 01:26:48 »
.....just looking at the pictures makes me shudder....why did you not use a Detroit muscle car to build a "pimp-mobile".....
BTW why do you need a wiper motor, you got no windshield ?

CHEERS !
WITT !

PS: Please do everybody a favour and remove those offending pictures and please refrain from posting any more !

justken2u

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:24 »
Ahhhh ... Witt ... the "purest" side of the aisle has spoken  :)

I'm sure there will be a lot more dissention as the car progresses ... just do me a favor. If you ever see it at a car show, please throw the vegetables at ME, not the car. The car means you no harm. And sorry ... more pics to follow. This is, as you know, the R&D board. I'll keep it off the purist boards.

But before I sign off ... Witt .. this is for you, buddy (all in fun, brother ... all in fun ...)

Rear end and front brakes

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 06:15:43 »
.....just looking at the pictures makes me shudder....why did you not use a Detroit muscle car to build a "pimp-mobile".....
BTW why do you need a wiper motor, you got no windshield ?

CHEERS !
WITT !

PS: Please do everybody a favour and remove those offending pictures and please refrain from posting any more !
Naughty naughty.  I share your shudder, but think he is entitled to Pimp His Pagoda here.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:42 »
Kind of funny seeing a white gas tank. 

Next time I'm in Orlando I might have to look you up to see this monstrosity.  Don't worry I'll probably be unarmed and tomato-less. 

A wiper motor would be the least of my worries. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 11:08:12 »
Need those hefty rear-axle mods to carry the weight of the loudspeakers and amps? By the way, keep posting... to each his own! And yes, this is the R&D forum...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 15:19:24 »
Need those hefty rear-axle mods to carry the weight of the loudspeakers and amps?
...and what happened to the spare tire!!!  You are worried about your wiper motor and you have no spare tire?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

justken2u

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 15:46:51 »
I love you guys ...  :D

And as a side bar, thanks Scoot ... our secret will always be vouchsafe with me  ;) As for the spare tire, isn't that what girlfriends are for? Pimps, afterall, do need their hoes to help out once in a while "Baby, hitch hike to the nearest gas station and get this flat fixed whilst I sit here and look cool, would you? Love ya!"

Oh, and Dash ... by all means drop by if you happen to be around Mickeytown. Hopefully everything will be done by then. The wiring has become a bit of a bear since there are two guys working on it. The stereo guy had to take off for a couple of weeks, and something he did is screwing up the conventional wiring. Without cutting everything apart that he did and starting over, the conventional wiring guy is going to have to wait until he gets back to continue with his part. Building a car like this is a constant pain in the butt and the wallet. My guess is that either the alarm or the keyless ignition is causing a shut down of the main circuits and without the guy who hooked it up working directly with the conventional wiring guy it's at a stand still. It can't go to the interior shop until all of the wiring is in and functioning flawlessly so the project has pretty much come to a grinding halt for now (I can hear the cheers rising in the background and an international wave being done by the purists -"death to the heretic ... death to the heretic!!") But fear not my fellow R&D enthusiasts ... I will soon proclaim from our secret lair in the greater Orlando countryside, "IT'S ALIVE!!!!"

The clever repartee  has earned you boys another glamour shot. This is the current state of the area behind the seats. The box in the middle is actually a fingerprint activated gun safe. Every gangsta needs a place to keep his heater. Oval grills are sound ports from the trunk for the bass, which will always be at a manageable level. I'm not a fan of the heavy thump-thump-mobiles but I do enjoy some quality bottom end to my sound. The smaller cutouts are for the 3 way fill speakers. All in all the system will have the highs and the mids in the front kick panels, the 3 way fills behind the seats and the twin subbies in the back all powered by a McIntosh 6 channel amp and a Pioneer GPS/stereo head unit. Diamond speakers all around.

Enjoy.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 18:15:11 by justken2u »

w113dude

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 18:02:22 »
I am literally speechless & lost for words! WOW :o

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 15:46:10 »
Hello,

Intreresting project.  I appreciate the craftsmanship shown iin a project like this. In the end it is what gives you satisfaction and make you happy that is most important!

I have some good used sedan wiper motors if you still need one.

Take care,
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 12:56:11 »
Personally on a car like this, I'd have a custom made wiper motor fabricated, probably about 5 HP. ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

justken2u

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 04:42:51 »
Thanks Michael! Probably a great suggestion for this car actually! hehehe

And Joe, thanks for the offer on the wiper motors. I think based on some of the info I got from one of the earlier posters I was able to find a motor at a relatively good price. Used of course - the new ones were in the $400 - $500 range. I'm on travel but it should be there by the time I get home. The car goes to the interior shop on Friday. I should have some newer pics in the next few weeks. True to form, the guy who was working on the electronics was strapped for cash, so I paid him in full with what he described as a couple of hours of work left to do. He never came back to finish and much of what he did is a mess. His fabrication was amazing, but his ability to hook up the electronics was not what was expected. I've got to get someone to go in behind him and fix it. He surfaced after 3 weeks of being MIA, but now I don't trust him to touch the car. Nothing is smooth in a project like this folks. One way or another, unscrupulous people are going to find their way into the project and ultimately your pocket. My body guy and one of the guys who has done a lot of the mechanical have been both awesome and honorable, but they have had to clean up a lot of crap that was incorrectly done by others as this thing passed from hand to hand and shop to shop over the past 17 years. A bit of a cautionary tale to those who want to take on something of this magnitude. As the Latins say, Idiot Emptor:)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:45:06 by justken2u »

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 18:27:53 »
I think it's cool

Not my choice per se but if offered it, i doubt I'd say no! ;D ;D ;D Credit to you and I really can't wait to see the finished article (indeed an article in/for Pagoda World would be ACE!). I would also love to know the cost but you'll have a unique car and if that's what you wanted, good for you!!

James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Drewtee

• Silver
  • England, Kent, Sevenoaks
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 23:34:20 »
I think it's cool

Not sure about that, although It's definitely a unique Pagoda and i look forward to seeing the pics once finished.

Hopefully the car was a shell before justken2u started.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:50:32 by Drewtee »
Andy Tee

Rhd 5 speed 728h with parchment interior
White Californian 280sl LHD
W111 3.5 Cab and Coupe both RHD

justken2u

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 16:25:10 »
Hey Drewtee ... excellent question about the pre-condition. Thought I'd post a couple of pre-pics for everyone. Car is going to the interior shop shortly, then back to the mechanical shop to get the engine dialed in. Still a LOT to do on this monster but I will definitely have pics posted of the finished machine.

justken2u

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 16:34:56 »
Hey Tosh ...

I've been working on this car off and on for 17 years now. It's been in 8 shops 12 times. I've been gouged, lied to, swindled, sued ... you name it. Frankly, I've lost track of the costs but add everything up including all the bad decisions and repurchase of parts time and again and it will easily be over $100K by the time all is done. My advice to anyone who chooses to undertake a project such as this is HAVE A PLAN. I started out with the simple idea of putting a basic north American engine in the car and redo the body. I had a buddy who owned a body shop ... simple transaction I thought ... and to save money, why not just work on it "in your spare time". Error Error Error ... Although it did finally end up at another buddy's shop who has his body business at his house and he has done the Titan's job of getting this car to the stage it is now. He'll probably never take on a project like this ever again, but he has stuck with it and recruited the right talent to do some amazing work. I am truly fortunate to have had Lorenzo in this project. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to find your own "Lorenzo" ... someone who virtually takes ownership and personal pride in seeing the project completed. Then have a plan, deep pockets, and find a shop that can do it all. Park it with them for at least a year and never ... NEVER ... pay in advance. Pay for completed progress. Trying to get anything done by bargain hunting with a car like this will end up costing you WAY more in the long run. You truly get what you pay for ... well, I take that back. You often get none of what you pay for.

Here she is ready for the next stage of her emerging life. Headed to the interior shop as soon as the planets of time, weather and shop availability line up.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 16:41:21 by justken2u »

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 22:00:29 »
Im with Tosh I think its cool.  Not for everyone but still cool.

Can see why you need a gun locker.  People will be trying to steal the car when finished for the non original parts.

Can we get a better picture of the modified dash board
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

justken2u

Dashboard pics for Garry
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 15:16:01 »
Here you go!

hauser

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 17:37:40 »
Have a look at this one I found on the Roy Spencer website.

http://www.mercedesheritage.com/classifieds/viewlisting.php?view=298

justken2u

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 18:14:35 »
Nice to know I'm not the only freak! :)

sjiatrou

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 03:50:51 »
Is this a trick question? Do you intend to ever drive this in the rain?  I like the dash work, very tastefully done.

justken2u

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 22:15:14 »
I don't intend to drive it in the rain, but this is Florida afterall ... you don't make plans around the weather, you deal with it on a moment to moment basis. Getting the wipers working is pretty much the same as having the top go up and down. I can't imagine wanting to have the top up much, but it's kinda gotta be there! :)

Car went to the interior shop today. Hopefully this will go smoothly. I have a very good guy doing the work, but of course there will be some quirks and unexpected expenses that I'm sure I'm just going to have to swallow hard on.

More to follow.

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 18:40:14 »
Nice to know I'm not the only freak! :)

But yours could be the freakiest.  It has potential.
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

justken2u

Frankenbenz continues ...
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 18:08:32 »
Hey guys ... I know I haven't been around for a bit, but thought I'd post a couple of progress pics on the Frankenbenz to titillate the curious and fire up the puristas ...

The interior is approaching complete. Of course the guy who took the first kick at the stereo, console and some of the interior panels screwed the car and me .. par for this course. The shop that has it now is doing an excellent job. Need to replace the center console suede with leather and the glovebox door the same with MUCH smaller stitching. Mask for gauge cluster is being built and door panels to be done shortly. Should be out of the interior shop in about a week, then off for final mechanical and plumbing. The nightmare is almost over and the dream about to begin! Emhoy

wbain

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 17:43:13 »
Wow, what a project. I'd like to know more about the front suspension. A McPherson Strut in there, what make is it? MOre info please.

The wiper motor is common to W110's, W111's and W112's. The electric motor section might be the same in the W108's and W109's, just a different transmission.

RickM

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 15:52:34 »
While you're custom fabricating most of what's going into the car perhaps a modern system can be adapted to your 230.....

Such as: http://www.detroitspeed.com/productpages/indproduct/electricalprod/wpr_universal_prod.htm

justken2u

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 02:45:38 »
Hey guys ... been dormant for a while, and now the FrankenBenz is almost ready to leave the interior shop. It will have to go back in for some detail stuff ... the glove box cover is hideous and the center console suede has to be swapped out for leather, but there has been some amazing progress. The guy who originally did all the stereo stuff and a lot of the panels screwed up miserably. 95% of what he did had to be re-done ... the problem with a custom resto-mod like this is simply finding the RIGHT people. I can tell you one thing .. if ANYBODY needs an interior guy in Florida, Tony is THE guy ... his work is outstanding, quality is amazing, and he's one of the nicest guys you're ever going to want to meet. My body guy (a REALLY picky Italian) is speechless over what Tony has been able to do in this car. He fixed all of the problems that the other guy created, had a stereo guy that was able to fix all of the wiring problems the other guy created, and was just a total class act from beginning to end.

So ... here are a couple of pics of the dash, the interior and the console ... remember .. the suede and the gawdy glove box cover will be all re-done in leather with small logos .... still need a steering wheel, and the shift lever will have a Mercedes knob on it when all is said and done.

Car goes into the mechanical shop in a couple of weeks for final mechanical. Hopefully will have it all ready to run for Turkey Rod Run in Daytona in November. Pics to follow when it is up and running.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 11:47:13 »
Your interior guy's not up to that much: He forgot to do the seats ;D

Looks great and I would love to see it in person. I'm sure it'll be a fun drive, especially on a warm day in Fla
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

sierra31

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 15:12:58 »
Stylish, unique and a mix between a TVR tuscan's interior & a chromed pagoda.
Good on you mate.
I think more than the stereo, it's the engine roar that should make it interesting.
All the best!! Alex

olazz

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 18:30:16 »
I wonder when such major modification to a car causes it to lose it's " original" DNA and become a "funny car"  dragster??

Very impressive commitment and attention to detail J2u.

Was interested to see a fingerprinted gun safe. In certain parts of Africa where I'm from, they'd happily cut your hand off for said Fingerprint!!

Good luck with the build.

frankenbenz

It's ALIIIIIIVE!!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 14:25:28 »
Well, like most of you, I never thought I would see the day when the FrankenBenz would lurch to life. Last Saturday (May 4, 2013) was that day. Of course there are still a few things to do to the car (engine final setup, a few cosmetic issues such as window winder covers, custom floor mats, engine cover, speedo calibration, wipers and washer nozzle, trunk badge and a few other annoying details) but the car drives, is titled, tagged and insured, and attended the first car show in Howie-In-The Hills, Florida (The Festival of Speed at Mission Inn)

There was a lot of interest in the car and a lot of people who were appreciative of the hard work involved in getting this project completed. I have been at it for 20 years and have certainly endured my share of woe. There were many times I just wanted to sell it for parts and crush anything that remained to just get back at it for nearly crushing me. Overall, it was an interesting experiment in endurance. I realize that the 113 group will have a love/hate relationship with FrankenBenz. For the lovers, thanks for all of your support and thanks, too, to all of those who helped to steer me towards parts and resources to make this car a reality. To the haters, well, Mea Culpa. If any solace may be found by the purist, please take it in the fact that this car was pretty much headed for the junk yard ... it was a rescue puppy. (see early photos) Also delight in the fact that what it cost me to finish this car was likely well in excess of what it would have cost for a frame up restoration of this car when you factor in all of the brigands and rogues who took advantage of me and the car over the years.

As for the high quality work that was done, there are a few people who deserve honorable mention. I am not mechanically inclined. In fact on the occasions when I did pick up tools to help out with the car, I probably did more harm than good. I am also not a patient person. I have had several people tell me I must have had incredible patience to wait 20 years for this car. Anything but. But I am persistent (as several of my former girlfriends have told me) and that has been an asset in many areas of my life. I will not mention all of those who screwed me along the way, but this car has now been in 14 different shops 20 different times, 4 different engines, three sets of wheels, 4 wiring harnesses ... I'll stop now before I start getting angry ... the best thing about a crappy past is that it is behind you.

So to Lorenzo Morizio, thank you for you steadfast dedication to seeing this car completed. Lorenzo's ability to shape metal and his fine eye and unwavering commitment to detail and excellence is unparalleled. This car is probably the reason Lorenzo has abandoned body work but has taken his talents to his burgeoning business in refinishing auto parts to make them look like whatever you want ... wood, carbon fiber, hundreds of different patterns. It is a dipping process that is truly spectacular. He did the carbon fiber inserts on my wheels but I have seen him do parts for cars and motorcycles that are unbelievable. Lambourghini dealerships are now using him for some of their custom work. His website can be found at www.AquaTransformations.com. Honorable mention goes to Lorenzo's neighbor Robert Taylor for helping revamp some of the technical issues such as brakes, rear end support, fuel system and wiring in the car. After a few bad wiring jobs, Robert completely rewired the car and got everything working properly. He eventually became frustrated with the car and both personal and business issues caused him to stop any future work on the car.

Rick Prospero from Rick's Auto in Indian Harbor Shores, Florida (www.ricksfabshop.com), is the guy who figured out most of the mechanical aspects of the car. Once the basic body work (body, floors, sheet metal) were completed, Rick began the transformation process hacking, cutting and welding his way towards making everything fit, and believe me when I tell you there is precious little spare room anywhere. Rick is a mechanical genius. Although he specializes in muscle cars, he was able to give FrankenBenz the heart of a beast and the soul of a poet ... beautiful exterior lines preserving the elegance of the 230SL with the get up and go of a rocketship. It went back and forth to Rick a few times as the project evolved but he got on it and stayed on it until it was mechanically sound. The work he accomplished was spectacular.

Chris Bible from Bible's Auto Interiors (https://plus.google.com/100352786939793014887/about?gl=us&hl=en) began the interior process and did my seats for a start, but had to decline further work on the car due to illness in the family.

Tony from Tony's Auto Interiors is, quite simply, an artist. (www.tonysautointerios.com - yup .. it's spelled right) The craftsmanship of the interior finishes is amazing. He also had to follow one of the nightmare installers, a stereo and interior design guy - THAT guy kept calling himself the "world champion" - anything but ...  Tony had to pretty much re-do everything the "champ" had done.The end result, though, is very high quality. Honorable mention also goes to Antonio who redid all of the accessory electronics after "the Champ" finished his hatchet job, Antonio ended up rewiring the stereo, alarm, keyless ignition, low voltage wiring throughout and the EFI computer. Like so many on this project, though, Antonio had to drop off as he changed real jobs and was no longer able to focus attention on the car.

Frank Rodriguez and Gerry Picart from Superior Custom Orlando (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Superior-Customs-and-Audio/168932716527833) finished the job. The door panels, power windows and locks, electronic glitches and cleaning up the car fell to Frank and he did a great job. Frank is another one of those guys who is rock solid. In fact on the first night of the car's freedom, the car ended up outside a restaurant not being able to start. Of all of the parts that got changed out in this car, there were a few old parts left. The brake light switch was one of them. Hey, it's a plunger switch. It works. Why change it? Well after nearly fifty years (twenty of which were sheer dormancy) this switch gave up the ghost. I smelled it as it burned and the brake lights fizzled to dark. No big deal usually, except for the fact that the car won't start if there is no signal from the brake and the clutch switches since the keyless ignition is wired through them. You have to step on the brake and clutch to start the car. Frank came out at 10:00 at night to wire in a jumper to get the car started until we could get it back to his shop the following day. Try and get a Mercedes mechanic to do that!!

Finally, once the car got on the road, it wasn't running right. Rick Prospero had told me that the computer needed to "learn" the car and would run rough until it did. Not so much ... it ran very poorly once it made it onto the road and unfortunately Rick was backed up with other projects for months. A local shop called Central Florida Auto Repair, owned by Frank, took it under his care. Frank is an old-timey car builder and GM guru. Within a short time he was able to ascertain that the computer and throttle position sensor were dodgy and got it sorted out. Although Rick would have been able to get it right if he would have had the bandwidth to spend the time on it, Frank is much closer and it's nice to have someone local to bring this car to.

So, although those mentioned above will probably never read this blog post, I wanted to go on record as thanking those who did the real work on this car. And now, without further ado ... I give you ...

FrankenBenz

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 13:47:41 by frankenbenz »

frankenbenz

More pics ...
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 14:37:18 »
More pictures ...

frankenbenz

Final pics
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2013, 14:40:13 »
And finally ...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 15:35:28 by frankenbenz »

kampala

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Hermosa Beach
Re: Frankenbenz
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2013, 18:13:16 »
I am quite new to the pagoda scene ... so am just reading your history on this car from 2009.  As you mentioned this not for the purist but regardless it is very interesting and jaw dropping ... whether one likes it or not.  It's always upsetting to hear about all the unscrupulous people we run into ... this happens to many.

I applaud you for persevering over 20 years to create something that you wanted.  

I do hope you enjoy it each time you take it out.  In a few years I would love to read that you put 100,000 miles on it ............... . and decided to bring it back to stock again?  ;D

Enjoy ...

by the way ... did you ever get a wiper motor?  
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 18:35:45 by kampala »
250sl - later - manual
280sl - 1971 - Auto - LSD

Aslam

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 00:08:10 »
Oh yeah baby - love the car - even if you didn't have that much fun doing it up, you should have a blast playing with it.   Love the quad exhaust - really really love it.

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50

frankenbenz

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 01:11:22 »
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys ... still a few headaches ahead before I get to fully enjoy it, but I plan on FULLY enjoying it. And, yes Kampala ... finally got the wiper motor ... but I think I have to change the positions of the wires. I just got wiper arms and they want to park in the up position. Just another pain in the butt, but I'm knocking them all down one by one. :)

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 12:54:13 »
I'm just discovering this story, and wow, what a job !

What the purists are missing is the incredible satisfaction of achieving something unique. It starts with a vision and then it is a lot of work, try and error, frustration etc. To do it right, it is much harder than just re-assembling a car with shiny/new parts. An additional difficulty is to have all the components work well together for an harmonious end result. I'm not downplaying what's involved in a 'purist's' restoration (I've done it 'right' on a W109 6.3, I know it's not easy), but the added dimension of this type of project is creativity. Now, creativity is very personal, so not everybody will like the end result. But it is still the most rewarding aspect of such a project, which is missing in a "normal" restoration project.

A lot of these projects get stalled along the way, because they are difficult, and one does not always realize the challenges lying ahead. So, congratulations for bringing this to a successful end. Right on time to attend all the 50th anniversry events ! I hope to see your car and meet you in person in september in PA. We could park our cars next to eachother, as they are two different  interpretations of a very beatiful car. Mine is due out of the paint shop next week. I will be left with all the re-trimming job.

As you are in Florida, you may have come accross Derek Jettmar. He shoehorned a 6.3 M100 motor in a Pagoda ! Very nice guy, we were in contact some years back while he was building his car. I hope he will also show up in PA.

Again, congratulations!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 13:48:57 by GGR »

frankenbenz

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 13:31:09 »
Thanks GGR. It certainly has been an adventure ... and the adventure continues. It has been running extremely rich and blowing some smoke despite the fact it has a brand new engine rebuild. It is currently in the shop with a guy who is an old-timey electronic fuel injection GM mechanic. He thinks he might have narrowed it down to a bad computer and dodgy throttle position sensor. He has ordered up both and hopes to have it back to me by the end of this week if all goes well. Then there is the matter of a very hard brake pedal that you nearly need to stand on to get it to stop and a phantom "bump" in the rear right quarter panel going down the road. She looks beautiful and I will be very pleased when she runs as good as she looks.

I was unaware of the 50th anniversary shows. I'll go and look some up. Unfortunately due to my travel schedule making it to the various shows will prove next to impossible unless the planets align when I am back in Florida and there are some nearby shows.

I hope to see you out and about somewhere. Meanwhile I'll be sure to post some pictures here and there of some of the shows I end up taking it to!

Cheers.

K

frankenbenz

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 23:29:56 »
Some good news for the followers of the FrankenBenz ...

I spoke with the shop that currently has the car. It was running very rich, back firing, stalling out, and being a general pain in the ass. I found a shop in the Orlando area with an old-timey GM mechanic and who has an appreciation for fine, custom built cars. I was always concerned about leaving this car around a run of the mill grease monkey as it would be nearly impossible to match the paint on this thing in the event there was some carelessness around the car.

Before leaving on a month-long work junket, I found "the" guy that will likely be the future mechanic for the car. He walked around the car listening to this, poking that, making a lot of "hmmmmmmm" sounds before declaring "well, it's not the motor .. it's what the motor is being told to do." Although I was concerned about leaving the car anywhere new for an extended period of time, I was reassured when he told me he pretty much owned the entire strip mall that he was located in, and then walked me over to a triple bay where there were some very exotic cars. He told me that he would be the only one working on the car and that it would stay in that custom car cocoon the entire visit. In a nutshell, he inspired confidence.

After running a bunch of tests, he determined that the problem was coming from the coil, the computer and the throttle position sensor. While I was away he replaced all of them. On Friday he told me that the car is running like a top. During the next couple of weeks he would turn his attention to the next projects.

I have a very hard brake pedal. We are going to explore the option of a different brake setup or a brake booster. After having to build shock towers to accept the new undercarriage, there isn't a lot of room left to install a brake booster. He is exploring options in my absence. I would also like to have power steering on this thing. While the car drives nicely once rolling, backing the thing up while turning that wheel is a real chore and certainly not desirable on a nice night out on the town. I also need to find a fitting steering wheel and the right sounding horn. The steering column could also use a paint job. The instrument cluster could be redone as well as the IPod/IPhone inserts. Something a little more stylish I think.

Once all of that is done, I'll be turning my attention to a couple of dress up projects such as an electric E-brake and center console mounted headlight and wiper switches that will all go in a nice little panel I bought to sit in line with the push button ignition. I also need to do some sprucing up of the stereo and the trunk as the trunk lid vibrates from the sub woofers in there. It's fine when it is parked and the trunk lid is up, but I have always been annoyed sitting beside some car with buzzing sub woofers. The plan is to put a couple inside the car underneath the back deck panels with an isolation switch to be able to shut off the trunk subs when I am driving.

This car is definitely nearing completion. I think once it is done I will feel a big void in my life ... who am I if I'm not the guy bitching about finishing his car???

Time to buy a motorcycle ...

:)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 23:37:59 by frankenbenz »

frankenbenz

Update for the FrankenBenz
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2013, 15:40:50 »
Well, it's been a while since I have posted about this challenging car. I'll post some pictures shortly, but since the last post there has been a lot more work. The last shop I took it to is the shop that finally got most of the issues ironed out but it has been a difficult path.

The engine (that TPI V8 engine in previous pictures) refused to stop smoking. They finally had to tear it down and replace the rings since it had been fitted with chrome rings that would likely never seat. It was also discovered that the ring grooves were lined up, not staggered. After the rings were done, a bad tick developed. Had to replace all the lifters. That didn't solve it. In and out of the shop for weeks trying to figure out the engine noises. After several weeks of all of this, the mechanic threw up his hands unable to ascertain what the problem was. We made the hard decision to completely pull the motor and tear it down (500 miles on it). It was discovered during the tear down that I had been sold a junk motor. Cylinders had been machined out of round, junk parts used to rebuild it, heads machined into the runners, absolutely unsalvageable. I guess the good news, if you can call it that, was that we now had a way forward. Engine Number Five. The mechanic was a really good guy. He ate all of the work leading up to discovering that the engine was shot and we started over. He built me the same engine so that everything else would fit and bolt right on. We used a roller cam and rockers and an aggressive cam so it's got the right amount of lump in it. So it is now finally on the road running great. A few things to adjust as it breaks in but the car is finally driveable with pride.

We had to change out the brake system as per the previous notation. There is an assist system that looks like a slightly oversized master cylinder. There is a motor and an accumulator. When you step on the brakes, the motor starts and pressurizes the accumulator that adds pressure into the brake system. This is the only way to get this car to stop after removing the factory brake booster. It was about $2K for the brake system but there is 100% confidence in the brakes where as before it had a really mushy pedal. We also completely rewired the rear lights and got some all red lenses so that problem has been resolved. We added some chrome camber/caster plates for front wheel adjustment that looks great and also added a power steering rack so the steerability is awesome. Trying to muscle that car into a parking spot was exhausting until we changed out the steering but it is a dream now.

We are down to the final cosmetics on the car. I leave for Canada on the weekend and they will start working on an engine cover while I am gone. Cruise control is still an issue as it doesn't seem to want to work right. There is some wiring under the dash that is a little ugly. I guess that is the cost of having 6 different guys working on it over the years, each of them blaming the previous guy only to dick something else up that the next guy has to fix.

We will also be re-doing the instrument cluster in carbon fiber to match some of the new carbon fiber dress up inside the car and rewiring the stereo which has some issues. There were times when I was really questioning if this bloody thing would ever see daylight but I have had it out for some fun drives over the past couple of weeks. It is a real head turner and any time I end up someplace there is a gear-head, they always come over and ask about the car. With the throaty sound and meaty drive train they know that it is no run of the mill Mercedes. As appalling as it is to the purists, everyone comments on the quality of workmanship in resto-modding this car.

In retrospect, I'm not sure I would ever undertake a project like this again. Partly because of the cost, partly because of the anxiety, but mostly because I don't think I'll live long enought to finish another one if it takes this long! I love the concept of a resto-mod with the old school cars becoming new again under the hood. But if I do it again, I will find the one shop that does it for a living and that has been around for 20 years. Guys like that are always backed up with projects and are costly. There's a good reason for it. Everybody that has a shop will tell you they can do the project, on time and for much less money. My experience is that it will end up costing you twice what you should have paid with ten times the time and frustration. Live and learn. It will cost you money trying to save money.

If I ever get another resto-mod, my sights are set on an E-Type Jaguar and a 57-59 Corvette. Until then, I love my little FrankeBenz.

GGR

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, DC, Washington
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 12:46:57 »
Sorry to hear all the trouble with your engine.

All the fun is in the journey, even if it can be challenging at times. You now have a unique car, and a lot of creativity went into it. You now need to enjoy it and look back on the experience in a couple of years. Though, if you're like me, the most exiting part of such a project is not the end result. Imagining the car the way you would like it to be, looking for parts, solutions, etc. are way more exciting phases than the final result when you've got that kind of bug. It involves a lot more creativity than a traditional restoration.

I understand your need for a new project, as a finished car won't keep your imagination busy. Thanks  to all what you've learned with this one, your next project will be easier, faster and cheaper. My only recommendation would be for you to do as much as you can by yourself. The main reason is that when you will look at the final result, you will be able to tell yourself "I built it with my own hands", which is very rewarding, especially if the project involves creativity. The other reason is that other people are not in your head, so they may not do it right the way you want it to be. Finally, it will also save you a lot of money!

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 16:13:56 »
I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before! Awesome journey, welldone for seeig it through. GGR is right, it's the creativity that sets it apart from a standard resto. All of my work is to stamdard spec, but I recently fabricated a custom glove box to accommodate a second (modern) radio and it was the most rewarding part of the whole resto! (well, apart from getting paid of course)...

jedwards

« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 23:17:09 »
Classic Mercedes in the UK has a used one for sale.
http://www.classicmercedesbenz.co.uk

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2014, 00:45:01 »
Has what for sale? A Frankenbenz or a 230SL wiper motor?

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2014, 09:31:28 »
After looking over you photos the only thing that concerns me is the mountings for the front suspension.  When you hit the brakes the forces will be transferred rearward to the frame member behind the axle and also downward at the front bolt where the subframe meets the body. The front axle is going to want to roll under the car.  Please make sure the member that the subframe is bolted to is welded to the vertical steel behind it.  Also make sure the nuts holding the subframe to the body are lock nuts of some type as that would be a really bad place to have a bolt rattle loose. Common aircraft sense would be to have the bolts installed from the top down so if the nut does fall off the bolt does not leave the building.

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:29 »
frankenbenz,

did you ever post any youtube video/s of your car on the road?

cheers
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

frankenbenz

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2015, 15:22:01 »
It has been a while since I have posted on this thread about the FrankenBenz. The journey since I last posted has been pretty torturous. I'll post more of it when I have some time. As it turns out, the Tuned Port motor that I purchased turned out to be a box of rocks. The guy is STILL on eBay selling junk motors. There are 11 cases against him trying to have him brought up on fraud charges, but the police are absolutely uninterested in prosecuting this guy. The shop I had working on the car ultimately built me a whole new motor, which also didn't work. The main problem was finding somebody that knew how to tune a TPI setup. I actually had the guy from GM that was involved in developing the setup and the computer, and not even he could get the motor to run properly. Ultimately I decided to forego the TPI motor and put an LS3 brand new motor into it with a hot cam and some headers. It is rated at 535 h.p. I'll post some photos when I get the time as well as some of the trials and tribulations of getting it all done. The brake system also had to be completely replaced as did the ignition system. I had tried to use Digital Gard Dawg push button ignitions. I went through FIVE of them, before giving up on them and opting for a starter button. The "ignition" switch is my VIPER system. So I turn off the alarm, press a single on/off button to energize the starter and then press a lighted start button. 100% reliable. I have an independent on/off switch for the accessories.

I just got back from the tuning shop yesterday where I had the car dyno tuned as well as road tuned. With a TKO 5 speed transmission, this car made 422 HP to the wheels with 424 ft. lbs of torque. It is a monster. The weight to power ratio on this thing would easily make it a low 10 second car if you can keep it on the road. Not that I have any plans to track it or race it at all. But it is still very impressive.