Author Topic: 2010 CL 550 - Mine until Monday!!!  (Read 9005 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
2010 CL 550 - Mine until Monday!!!
« on: November 04, 2009, 13:09:12 »
The MBCA President, Peter Lesler, requested and made arrangement for MBUSA to provide some cars for the National Board Meeting in St. Louis that begins tonight.  Sure, they said--but our press cars are in Chicago and St. Louis.  You'd have to arrange someone to drive them there.  (By now the astute among you know where this is going...)

Twist my arm, I said, I'll drive one down if I have to.  So yesterday I pick up this brand spanking new CL 550.  Sticker price (for some reason they included the sticker in the paperwork they gave me?!?) on it is $116,000.

I sure wish I had Buzz Aldrin, or Michael Collins, or Neil Armstrong with me, because it is about as complex a car as I've seen.  I managed to pair the phone in about 30 minutes sitting in a parking lot last night.  Problem was the MB bluetooth doesn't want to be "found"; it wants to search on its own for a phone.  Alas, so does my phone.  Typical bluetooth handsfree devices are passive.  Not the teutonic version in this car--it wants to be the boss.  The trick had something to do with authorized and unauthorized phones.  Whatever, finally got it working.  (Note: my Ford SYNC took 2 minutes, all intuitive) The adaptive cruise control worked great--so great I had a nice nap (kidding!) on the way home last night.  The blind spot detectors worked amazingly well, and yelled at me when I put my directional on when someone was there.  The audio system is complete--USB, memory cards of various kinds, a pigtail for several kinds of MP3/iPod, and sounds great too. The steering wheel is heated, and I have to discover what the other 90% of the features are.  Overall, smooth, sleek and sexy.

Should be a nice trip to St. Louis...and back on Sunday.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 13:11:04 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: 2010 CL 550 - Mine until Monday!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 16:16:56 »
Michael,

who cares about your phone and the stereo... tell us about the engine and the performance and how it rides. Oh, and in case you wonder, the base price for the bare model CL 500 in the Netherlands (they don't sell the 550 here) is (inclusive of all local taxes) € 164K or $ 241K at todays exchange rate.

Now you know why we Europeans think you Americans are a bunch of lucky *%&!* when it comes to both car prices and gas prices!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:19:23 »
Sounds fun!
Sort of reminds me when my uncle threw me the keys to his brand new Ford GT.   I wussed out at around 150mph...  That car is amazing. 

When his new SL arrived in '06 we spent a humbling 20 minutes trying to figure out how to open the gas lid.  We were searching everywhere for a button or lever to open it.   Finally one of us had the brilliant idea of pressing on one side of the lid and it popped right open. 

Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

jacovdw

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 09:53:20 »
...model CL 500 in the Netherlands (they don't sell the 550 here) is...

Peter,

It's a question of badging specific to the region. The CL is badged a 500 even in South Africa, but it has the 5.5 litre V8 engine. For the American market it is badged as a CL550.

The same applies to the C-class. The C280 that is assembled here in the East London plant is exported as a C300 to the United States.

Enjoy the ride Michael... :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 19:39:41 by jacovdw »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 00:10:48 »
Michael,

who cares about your phone and the stereo... tell us about the engine and the performance and how it rides. Oh, and in case you wonder, the base price for the bare model CL 500 in the Netherlands (they don't sell the 550 here) is (inclusive of all local taxes) € 164K or $ 241K at todays exchange rate.

Now you know why we Europeans think you Americans are a bunch of lucky *%&!* when it comes to both car prices and gas prices!

Peter

Well, Peter, we Americans (that would be me, I can't speak for all of my kind...) think about creature comforts--phone connection, stereo, and CUPHOLDERS! ;)

That being said, the first 550 mile were put on the car on Wednesday.  You almost can't hear the care running--extremely quiet.  Very little road noise.  It handles nicely--one must remember this is for all intents an S-Class coupe.  It's a big car, lots of mass, and you'll never make it feel like anything BUT a large car.  I felt extremely safe in it.  The Distronic control worked very well...especially when had just re-engaged after slowing me down a bit.  It came back up to 75 MPH when a tractor trailer basically pulled in front of me (what?  he didn't see my daytime running lights?) and the car went down to about 40 very quickly.

It's fast--but only when you push it.  I did a couple of times, in quick bursts of acceleration either to pass or entrance onto a highway.  No complaints from me, and none from the car either. (n.b. the wife's Taurus SHO is a bit faster...albeit not nearly as refined.)

They have done a very nice job with the engine management...

Sunday, the next 550 miles goes on and I'll report anything further.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:15:38 »
Sounds like a tough job Michael, maybe you can get them to pay for your service next time  ;D

Reminds me, I have a customer with four  Mercedes SLs all near mint;  57 300SL roadster (53,000 miles), 62 190SL roadster, 69 280SL (26,000 miles) and a 86 560SL roadster 19,000 miles,   all four red roadsters. None of the cars has traveled over 500 miles in the last 15 years.   They sit in his climalte controled garage with dead batteries,  getting flat tires and collecting dust, so he decided to hire someone to take them out and exercise them several times a year.  Tough driving job for me too  ;D ;D
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:48:46 »
This must be it, the ultimate in stupidity... Hire someone to have your fun for you... and pay him in the process.

But lucky if you can get such a job...

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 14:19:39 »
Sadly, the car goes back a little later this morning.

On the way home yesterday, I had the opportunity to "push" it a bit more than I did on the way down.  Respond it did.  It does indeed handle very well, and accelerate very well (with, apparentlly, a sweet, authoritative if not raucous exhaust note).  While the quiet interior doesn't let you hear the exhaust note, my companion in the other car--a C350, heard it quite well.

There is a lot to do in the Nav system I'm afraid.  I don't think it is as easy to use, or logical in operation as an off the shelf Garmin or Magellan or TomTom.  For example, it rarely recites the primary road you are on, just the secondary.  So, if you have maintained driving on Interstate 70, and part of I70 is joined by a stretch of I55, it will tell you to maintain travel on I55.  Your first reaction is "But wait, I'm on I70!"  The signage it presents doesn't match the road signage very well.  I would not expect it should, however my Magellan does match it very well--surprisingly not only in words but appearance, too.  Too many features require you to take your eyes off the road and hit buttons on the console.  The buttons are small and the lettering even smaller.  My Magellan, my Ford, and most modern units are touch screen with large, well market actions.  Then there's the direction itself, ostensibly the reason to have a Nav system in the first place.  On the way down it took me off the interstate (I didn't know why) to a road with a T; it gave no direction at the T.  I made the turn, and then it directed me back onto the interstate.  What was that all about, I don't know.

It did not appear to have a "preference" setting; i.e. avoid tolls, avoid 2-lane roads, or whatever; if it did, it wasn't obvious.  It calculates the route with authority, but gives you alternates to choose from.  It's hard to see precisely what lies ahead in the alternates.   On the way home last night it had me on 2-lane roads running through NW Ohio.  Pleasant, but why not the interstate?  Even more interesting, the main 2-lane it had me on was sometimes 4-lane: US-24.  However it kept taking me OFF the US-24 bypasses and through towns.  For $116,000 perfection is expected and shortcomings would hardly be tolerated, especially on something built in.  I will fully accept the fact that some issues and challenges with the interior features (nav, audio etc.) are due to my lack of familarity with the car.  However, good ergonomics includes intuitive interfaces that don't require a lot of learning, IMHO.

Now, that C350?  Price aside, it is a delight.  Tight, fast, nimble--like a pocket rocket on rails.  Tight quick steering, lots of road and steering feel (most of which is damped in the CL) After driving it for 20 miles, my first words out of the car were "I LOVE this car!".  I didn't play with that Nav system or anything, because I was too engaged in the delight of driving.  Wow.  I think you could have a new C350 with about $70,000 change for the price of the CL 550.  Drawing a logical conclusion, I would expect the overall feel and experience of the E350 to be somwhere between the two cars we had.  I think the C350 had the "Sport Package" since it had AMG wheels, large cross drilled front rotors, but it was not the AMG.

If there is a next time, maybe they'll give us the C63 AMG?? ;)

Sadly Joe, I can't get anybody to pay for anything in my life :(, but at least the gas was covered.  I don't often have the opportunity to drive a new Mercedes, much less one for 2 days and 1200 miles, so I could not pass it up!  My alternative was a cheap ($150) but boring airline flight.  My young companion, the VP of my MBCA section, even had his airline ticket already and gave it up to drive the C350.  Now that's dedication.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 22:47:18 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 22:35:02 »
Hello Michael,

Yes, I do not think any of us car people would turn down that opportunity.

Happy motoring!

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback