Author Topic: Looking for Guidance on Restoring AC Condensors  (Read 2720 times)

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Looking for Guidance on Restoring AC Condensors
« on: October 27, 2009, 23:28:35 »
I'm planning to have the AC Condensers restored.  There are 2, a black condenser that goes behind the radiator and a silver condenser that goes under the bumper.  I've been advised that the condenser under the bumper left the factory finished in silver but often times when restoring it people opt for the black finish.  Does anyone have examples of restored AC Condensers they can post to this thread?  Is it best to stick with the silver finish in terms of originality or refinish in black?
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
Re: Looking for Guidance on Restoring AC Condensors
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 13:56:28 »
Nate,

The a/c condenser is going to be very visible behind your grille, so that one has to be black.  I have not looked at all that many, but the under bumper ones I have seen are black. 

Almost 6 years ago I found a company in California that had the main condenser in stock.  Theirs is aluminum with twice the number of tubes of smaller diameter as the stock model.  This provides much better heat transfer and keeps the same volume.  I recall having to file out on of the mounting holes a tiny bit, but otherwise it was a drop in replacement.  Cost then was $180.00  It was silver and I painted it black.  I just spent several minutes looking through my receipts and couldn't find the company name.  It might be worth an internet search for companies that manufacture condensers.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe