Author Topic: Website problems  (Read 9604 times)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Website problems
« on: October 26, 2009, 23:17:26 »
Dear all,

as many of you have seen, yesterday I posted a message stating:

Many of you have noticed that we've had some pretty tough problems on the site. As Murphy's law dictates, such problems should occur exactly when I can't fix them.

Many of you have noticed the error when accessing the forum:

Unable to load Themes/default/index.template.php!

Also, when accessing the front page of the site, the look and layout had disappeared. Both were manifestations of the same problem. When I was on a family trip to New York, the log files of the website and the uploaded video files, attachments, and image files together exceeded our alloted space of 1200 MB. Because of a bug in the host management software provided by our internet hosting company, I was actually under the impression that they had lifted disk space quota's, when in effect they hadn't.

That would have been a nuisance, but not painful. When we ran out of disk space however, rather than deleting log files the system started deleting software files (probably under the premise, first in, first out...

Today they claim to have fixed it, however, unknown to me they have also deleted a whole bunch of messages by restoring an old database. I wasn't warned they'd do this, and I since I only take a database copy each day, you may have to resubmit your message... I cannot access it.

I can access PayPal payments and will reinstate those... for everything else, please post again.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I am really unable to fix this for you.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jeffc280sl

Re: Website problems
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:41:59 »
Thank you for the explanation and for all of the work you do keeping this site running. Stuff happens sometimes and we're lucky to have you to sort it out.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:04:45 »
The good thing is, that some people only really learn to appreciate something, when it's suddenly not available. Thanks for all your work!

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 23:06:13 »
There I was pressing 'enter' continuously for the last 2 days, wondering what had happened to our Sl Group !  ::)
From Google to Jeeves, nothing  ??? ??? ???

Welcome Back.  ;D

Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69

IXLR8

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 00:15:54 »
Thanks, Peter.

This is one of my top 5 websites, and when it is out, I really miss it.

Thank you for your leadership and patience in keeping us informed.

"Unsung Hero" applies to you.

Joe

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 23:20:14 »
Just a question for some thought...I personally don't need an answer on this.

We seem to have these issues more than occasionally.

Is this the best website hosting out there?
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 13:11:06 »
I've been on a skiing holiday for a week... so hence no response to this post, and the outage. I had no internet connection up in the Alps where I was.

No, the internet hoster is NOT the best hoster. When I selected them 2 or more years ago, they had rave reviews, and very happy customers. They were a small outfit, and the transition to them went very smoothly and I saved the group money in the process.

About 6 months after we went over, the company got bought. Service went down. Monitoring of the system has become haphazard. Normally, when I'm around, I'm able to contact them pretty quickly. However, if I'm not, it may take a day or more for them to take action.

What are the problems with large scale webhosters? They put too many customers on one machine. If one of these customers has a rogue program, or a heavy load, he may bring down the database server (which drives the website). This is a fairly frequent occurrence with the current hoster.

The issue? We're stuck with this contract until January 2011. Moving to another hoster is a procedure which must be well planned, and takes me a couple of days.

There are many large scale hosters, offering low cost service. I believe we've outgrown them. We would need to move to a much more reliable service (costing perhaps four or fice times what we pay today... so $1000 instead of $200 per annum) for it to have a noticeable effect. This should not be a shared service, but have a dedicated machine with a good backup and monitoring plan. That's where the money goes.

Or alternatively, we live with some downtime.  :'(

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

knockmacool

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 18:17:14 »

Or alternatively, we live with some downtime.  :'(

Peter

Hope you enjoyed your downhill downtime! Our downtime only made me appreciate what a good website this is! Thanks and welcome back!

Drew