Author Topic: 280SL Cooling Water Bypass  (Read 10253 times)

SteveK

280SL Cooling Water Bypass
« on: October 04, 2009, 23:40:57 »
My 230SL has a late 280SL engine in it and I've been concerned about overheating in our hot Houston weather.  So far it has not happened, but I have watched the temp gauge move up pretty quickly above the second white mark.  It never got to red, but then again I have a standard transmission and have removed the AC compressor.   (I like convertibles!)   I decided a few months ago to buy the coolant bypass from the Classic Center and finally got around to installing it last weekend.  It's pretty simple, (see pics) but like everything else took more time than I expected.  By the time I got it all in it was a good 4 hour job.  (the two capscrews on the oil pan are really hard to get too and turn!)    After I installed it I went out for about an hour run in 90+ temps.  Took it up on the freeway at 70mph and then down in stop and go traffic, then home to measure temp with my IR gun.   It still went up about the thermostat setting, but I did really notice how slow the temp gauge moved with the new bypass.  The hottest is did get was 205f which is about 15 degrees lower than where it had gone on other days.  I also measured the temp across the head and found that now it was the same temp on all cylinders where before there was a pretty good gradient that had the back of the engine 15 degrees hotter than the front.   All in all I would say a good investment if you have a late 280 engine that is prone to running hot.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 15:44:46 by SteveK »

bpossel

Re: 280SL Cooling Water Bypass
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:30 »
Hi Steve,

Nice.  Thanks for this post.  Can you take some pics of this installed.  Would be a nice add to the manual.
Thanks,
Bob

SteveK

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:05:43 »
Happy too!   I'm traveling this week but will be home on Friday and will take some pics and post them over the weekend.

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:57:40 »
Steve,

You have me curious - how does the pipe redirect coolant - what does it bypass to get the extra cooling?

Cheers

George
230 SL manual
Brisbane
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

SteveK

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:22:52 »
George, the pipe connects where the thermo time switch connects to the back of the head of the later model 280 engines and runs under the engine and back to the lower radiator hose (which is the suction side of the water pump).   The thermo time switch then connects into a fitting on the bypass line.   

It appears that when the 230 engine grew to the 280, there was just too much heat to remove (more HP equals more heat) and since the pistons got larger the coolant channels had to get smaller which also restricted coolant flow to the back of the head.  More heat, less flow led to the overheating problem so MB came up with this bypass.   

What happens is now the water pump suction is pulling coolant through the head increasing the amount of heat that the coolant can remove.  The hot coolant then mixes with cold coolant from the lower end of the radiator.  Not an intuitive fix since the hot fluid now bypasses the radiator, but at the end of the day it all winds up in the coolant mix which mostly (90% or so) goes back to the radiator to get cooled.   (It works similar to the oil slip stream that gets filtered in an oil filter)  I suspect that since a small portion of the coolant now bypasses the radiator, on really hot days (when the engine running above the thermostat temp), the engine does run a few degrees hotter, but the extra coolant flow to the back of the head levels out the temperature gradient that was caused by the dead spot in the back of the head overall removing a hot spot that generates the main problem.  Before I did this I had a 15-20 degree gradient across the head, now it is gone, which in my mind is a good deal.   (Sorry for the long explanation, but in my younger days I was a heat transfer engineer so this is fun stuff for me!)

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:54 »
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time for the reply.

The explanation as to why heating is a problem on the 280 is interesting - and don`t worry, the second time through your explanation was very logical - I can see you have a passion for the topic.
We have a 230 and summer does get hot in our part of Australia however we have never had a problem - in traffic with the aircon on the temp is as steady as a rock - I guess its an advantage of driving  a car with an engine that was designed for its horse power, rather than one that has been "squeezed", - albeit by those clever German engineers ;D :-\

Cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 07:03:44 »
I like George have not had a problem with over heating in the hot summers here in Australia even though mine is a 280SL.  I have always flushed my radiator annually so mayby this helps stop the build up of scale and crud etc.  Never the less am interested to see photos of the fit and am keen to do anything that extends engine life. 
Any pricing on the modification parts?
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

georgem

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 22:53:01 »
Gary,

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that water goes down a plug hole in an anti clockwise direction in the southern hemisphere rather than the opposite way up north.   ;)
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl

SteveK

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 01:50:27 »
I must admit that being an engineer, the first thing I did when I went to Australia for the first time, was run in and flush the toilet.   I was never sure however if I was upside down or if it really did spin backwards!   Coriolis rules!

SteveK

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 15:59:04 »
Added one picture to the original post.  I have a few more from below the car but can't seem to be able to add them to the original or this one?  Tried again, here they are.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 17:42:33 by SteveK »

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 16:27:33 »
Steve, each post is limited to four photo attachments.

You should, however, be able to attach additional photos in subsequent posts.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:17 »
And could I recommend to stick to a maximum size of 800x600 or 640x480? Removes the need for scrolling...
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

bpossel

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:55:26 »
Hi Steve,

If it makes it easier for you, please email me all of your pictures and I will resize and add to our tech manual.
I always wanted to see what this MB kit looked like when installed.
My email address is 280sl@comcast.net.

Thanks Steve,
Bob

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 18:01:06 »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this bypass modification [almost] equivalent to simply bypassing the heater core?
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

SteveK

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 23:32:11 »
Wagas, Its similar, but connecting the heater hoses pulls coolant from between cylinders 4 and 5 while the MB bypass pulls it from the back of the head, after cylinder number 6.   I thought about doing the heater hose deal but felt that it could leave even more of a dead spot at the back of the head.  Living in Houston, I was looking for the best fix possible and figured the engineers at MB must have studied this some to come up with what they did.   For the $250 it cost from the Classic Center it's a pretty cheap fix if it keeps the head from warping some day.

jeffc280sl

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 23:47:35 »
I have the heater core bypass installed on my 280SL and have for three years.  My IR gun says temps are nice and even across the head.  For what its worth the heater core outlet  in the head is quite a bit larger in diameter than the TTS outlet in the very back of the head.  This makes for greater flow of hot water out of the head.  Both systems seem to get the job done and that's good to know.

bpossel

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:14:21 »
I've posted some nice pics (from SteveK ;)) of this MB cooling retro kit in the Tech Manual.
Does anyone have the MB Service Bulletin that could be scanned and also uploaded to the Tech Manual?
Thanks,
Bob

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 18:10:50 »
Good addition to Tech Manual!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!