Author Topic: valve cover to hood latch clearance  (Read 4024 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
valve cover to hood latch clearance
« on: August 23, 2009, 20:40:24 »

Well, after one year of ownership, I finally finished all chores (apply engine appliances, fix steering shaft bushings, repair heater core, and many other items), and put my engine in the car.  After spending so much time on all the other stuff, it was anticlimactic.  The transmission has always been in the car, so after mounting the flywheel and new clutch/plate, I used an el-cheapo hoist from Harbor Freight, and it just slid right in!

One problem:  I have to use a jack on the transmission to apply the valve cover.  Even so, the thing must be tapped in with the heal of my hand to make it past the hood catch mounting bracket.  So maybe my transmission mount is too low, or collapsed?  The distance between the head and the firewall is only about 3/8", or 1 cm.  Is this too close?  I cannot tell from photos on this site. 

Thanks for all your advice on this site.  Maybe in a month or so, I'll be lucky enough to get it running.

Ron
1966 230SL, euro

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: valve cover to hood latch clearance
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 21:54:45 »
Ron,
I have new mounts on my 66 and I still have to remove the valve cover carefully.

If I remember correctly, after removing the 3 bolts holding the cover on, I pull up on the rear of the cover clearing the latch then the front comes up

installation is the reverse. 

If you do a search I believe you will find other posts where the use of a jack is common to remove the cover
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

230slhouston

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:36:33 »
Ron,

I have new engine and transmission mounts on my 230sl auto. To remove my valve cover, I had to remove the transmission mount nut and jack it up in order to remove the valve cover. Even with this, I had to wiggle a lit to get it out. I tried without jacking the rear end and it was near impossible.

I would say that once you install the cover and the engine and transmission is resting on the mounts and you have clearance between the firewall and cover you are OK. I will measure my clearance if I get a chance tomorrow.

To be safe install a new transmission mount.

Cheers
Maistran.

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:29:01 »
Ron,
At PUB Joe A gave a demonstration of how to do the valve cover removal by putting jacking pressure on at the rear of the engine/gearbox with a wooden block under for protection. That is the normal way to remove the Valve Cover.  See photo of the correct location to jack up. No bolts were loosened.
Garry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 07:31:58 by Garry »
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric