Author Topic: Kick panel speaker repair (?)  (Read 7271 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Kick panel speaker repair (?)
« on: August 19, 2009, 18:38:51 »
I have a pair of the becker kick panel speakers found in 108's and late 113's.  One is bad (no sound).  Any suggestions on what to do to fix it...?   Becker says I can send it to them but they don't quote a price.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Kick panel speaker repair (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 20:23:10 »
Find a new speaker to fit in it... http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Speakers or Koenigs Klassic.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 09:24:57 »
If you have a multimeter you could test continuity between the terminals of the speaker coil.
Have a look and see if one is broken off.

Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:15:27 »
Have a pair of Blaupunkt speakers in the kickpanel area with a Europa II Stereo. One speaker had no sound, the other was OK. I looked at the speaker wiring and it looked like new...tight, clean connection.

The AM band on the radio was not working. I sent the radio to Becker for repair and told them to fix the AM, check the speaker channels, add levers for balance and tone (which were missing).

$175 and a two weeks later all was repaired and both speakers work. The speaker problem was in the radio unit not the speaker or the wiring.

Richard M, NYC

P.S. Funny part of the story: while the radio was out for rapair, I went to a car show. I carefully pasted a life size matte finish color photo of the radio over the empty hole. Many spectators and not one noticed it was a paper radio...didn't play well but it looked nice.  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 23:59:35 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 21:15:24 »

P.S. Funny part of the story: while the radio was out for rapair, I went to a car show. I carefully pasted a life size matte finish color photo of the radio over the empty hole. Many spectators and not one noticed it was a paper radio...didn't play well but it looked nice.   

I once had a VW Rabbit (Golf) and lived in Boston.  One day I came out to find my vent window (remember those?) broken and my radio gone.  Oh well, fool me once...
I went to a junkyard (when they existed in abundance) and picked up a filler panel; wasn't going to put a radio in again.  Plastic panel snapped in, so I didn't have a hole in the dash.  A few weeks later, I came out to find my vent window broken again, and the filler panel PRIED OFF.  Apparently the dumb-a** thieves thought this blank filler panel was HIDING a radio.

I'd be careful of a PICTURE of a radio where one belongs if I were you!   ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:37:07 »
A hole with some wires sticking out is the best anti-radio theft prevention... install top class audio in glove compartment!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:39 »
A hole with some wires sticking out is the best anti-radio theft prevention... install top class audio in glove compartment!

Peter

...and not living in Boston which was (is?) the auto theft capital, and where high end cars had NO audio systems, hidden or otherwise--just NO RADIO stenciled/etched on the glass.  What a world we live in.  Thanks for the suburbs!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 15:46:06 »
Came across a car with a broken and taped up window and a note: "Thanks, but we already gave our radio away, Sorry"
On a car in San Francisco.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 17:21:48 »
If you have a multimeter you could test continuity between the terminals of the speaker coil.
Have a look and see if one is broken off.
There is no continuity between the terminals, I already checked that.  The speaker is riveted into a structure such that there is a metal grill riveted to the front side so I have no access to that unless I drill out the rivets.  Becker in New Jersey said "send it to us, we might be able to help you out" (but at what cost???)  The becker guy suggested that the speakers might be the same as what is in the dash of early 107 cars, but I doubt that.  Still something to try... 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 00:25:12 »
Hello Scoot,

Actually the same speakers were used on the front kick panels of some of the W108, W109, W114 and W115 sedans depending on year of manufacture.

Once you have the original squre covers, finding a good modern speaker to fit under the covers,  should be a good option.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 19:32:03 »
Actually the same speakers were used on the front kick panels of some of the W108, W109, W114 and W115 sedans depending on year of manufacture.
Once you have the original squre covers, finding a good modern speaker to fit under the covers,  should be a good option.
  Didn't know these were in 114 / 115 cars.  Anyway, my intention as to sell them and I didn't think they had much value if only one worked, and I don't think they have much value if they have a non-becker speaker inside so I was hoping to find an interchange that provided a more or less correct speaker to rivet into the thing...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California