Author Topic: Newbie question re: speaker wiring  (Read 3393 times)

chicagopagoda

Newbie question re: speaker wiring
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:00:53 »
When I bought my 280 SL it had a ratty Sony aftermarket stereo and separate amplifier, all connected to the center dash speaker, a pair of 3.5 inch kick panel speakers and a pair of Jensens on the back deck/ kinderseat area. Ugly. So I yanked the Sony and replaced it with a Becker Europa Mono AM/FM. I plan to pull out the Jensens in the back at some point soon and recarpet over the cut-outs. I'm going to leave the little kick-panel speakers in because they match nicely.
Here's my question: Can the Becker unit I have power both the dash speaker AND the kick-panel speakers without the asistance of a pre-amp? And, if so, can somebody tell me how to wire it, if it's not as simple as twisting all the negative and postive wires together?
Thanks.

ChicagoFred
1968 280SL Euro (white/ blue Tex)
Illinois plate: MYPGODA

knockmacool

Re: Newbie question re: speaker wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:34:20 »
I don't know the answer, but I found this web helpful;
http://www.beckerautosound.com/

Drew

SteveK

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:42:01 »
With a mono radio, all you have to do is twist the wires.   Not sure how much power the amp has but I would be surprised if it could not power 3 small speakers. If you can't get enough power, you could then add a small amp behind the glove box.   

chicagopagoda

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 01:48:00 »
Mission accomplished and yes, the Becker unit had plenty of power to drive the dash speaker and the two kickpanel speakers. Actually sounds pretty good. Plus I had the chance to clear out a rat's nest of BS wires assicated with the preamp and back speakers. Thanks all.