Author Topic: License plate mounting  (Read 3099 times)

BMWTom

License plate mounting
« on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:22 »
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the pagoda SL group, having purchased my '67 250SL on July 2. This is a very nice web-site-kudos to the web-master and others who are responsible for it's conception and updates.
I'm learning more about my car everyday and enjoying the journey so far.

I have a question about license plate mounting. My car is a European model, and I was wondering if there is a special back plate or mounting brackets that I can buy to mount the U.S. plates.

Thanks

P.S. How do I change my user name? Many Pagoda enthusiasts are apparently offended by the reference to the "other" marque. (I only use it because it's convenient and easy to remember).

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:57:52 by BMWTom »

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: License plate mounting
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:35:20 »
They are just kidding about the name. Vive le difference!
Sorry cannot help with the number plate question.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:20 »
Tom,

You should note that the recognized stylist of the Pagoda, Paul Bracq, went to BMW in 1970 and designed the first 3-series, 5-series, 6-series, and concept 7-series, in addtion to the 1600Ti...

Go to any auto parts store and you can get mounting brackets in a variety of sizes and kinds.  Mine is simple and holds the rear plate about 1" away from the rear sheet metal.  Yes, there was some drilling involved.  Consider stainless steel hardware.

The local independent installs "rivnuts" in the rear for plate mounting, avoiding brackets.  These are rivets with a threaded center section that can take screws.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

BMWTom

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 03:10:44 »
Thanks Michael. I figured it might be something simple and custom. Paul Bracq is the man!