Author Topic: Searching for history on original Pagoda Batteries  (Read 7242 times)

Tom Colitt

Searching for history on original Pagoda Batteries
« on: July 10, 2009, 16:03:27 »
Hi All

I used the word history in my inquiry in hopes that this topic will not be bumped into the electrical and related items forum where it may not find as much attention.

I am looking for historical detail pictures of the Varta 12 (55AH or so?) batteries that came on later 280SL Pagodas. As far as I know these should be hard Black rubber cased batteries that no longer used external tie straps between the individual cells. Can anyone provide pictures of such or similar batteries or maybe a good 40 year old engine bay photo that shows battery details? Also, I plan on recreating the original round Varta logo sticker. Maybe someone has pictures of this logo (need not be on a battery as the logo may have been used on other products or in advertisements as well. I have enclosed the few pictures that I have, but they do not yet give me enough detail. I have already located a battery manufacturer who may be able to provide a correct type of ribbed design for the rubber casing. I believe the Varta batteries of the day used this ribbed design...

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Searching for history on original Pagoda Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 20:02:58 »
This One any good?

naj
68 280SL

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:48:46 »
Tom,

I don't know if these pictures are period correct as to what your looking for, but these are a couple of Varta pics that I have. Hope this helps.

1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

Tom Colitt

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 17:20:53 »
Wow! Those are great. Thank you very much. Did you take the picture in 2004 or do you know who took it? Now I'll have to figure out what the part number and AH rating for the correct battery on a Pagoda was, so I can reproduce the Varta sticker. Also, in one picture (the ad) the Varta sticker has a company logo instead of the part number. I wonder which one is correct for the 280SL (230SL)?

Tom

P.S. Who are you? (your name)

Tom Colitt

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 18:32:50 »
I just checked the parts catalog and found that a 55Ah battery would have been correct for a 280SL. Now all I need is a Varta part number or pictures of an original Pagoda battery so I can re-produce the sticker.
Is there anybody else with pictures of Varta batteries?... 280SE guy. Did you take that picture yourself? I'm wondering why the sticker is a bit different than the ads? Maybe newer?...

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 22:33:26 »
Tom,

No I did not take the Varta battery picture. I was in the same boat as you looking across the Internet for a source for an original Varta battery, except for my 280SE. The pictures were just gathered as a reference. I'll never forgive myself for turning in my original Varta as a core on a new battery purchase in 1975. I still remember the built in metal lifting handles on each side of the battery to assist one in the removal of the battery from the car. The original Varta really fit the holddown neatly.

Tom Colitt

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:41:33 »
I know how you feel. I don't think I've ever seen any restoration that has had the correct varta casing, but I am trying to come as close as possible. The main confusion left is that the battery shown in this early Pagoda (230SL) does not show external tie straps between the individual cells, yet you battery picture and most of the offerings I've found use externally visible ties. Does anyone have any recollection one way or another of how their original battery looked? What do you think about the style of battery in the second picture compared to the all-ribbed design 280SE guy displayed?

Thanks, Tom

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:36 »
I know how you feel. I don't think I've ever seen any restoration that has had the correct varta casing, but I am trying to come as close as possible. The main confusion left is that the battery shown in this early Pagoda (230SL) does not show external tie straps between the individual cells, yet you battery picture and most of the offerings I've found use externally visible ties. Does anyone have any recollection one way or another of how their original battery looked? What do you think about the style of battery in the second picture compared to the all-ribbed design 280SE guy displayed?

Thanks, Tom

Tom,

I'm not sure what you mean by "the externally visible ties", unless you mean the "lead raised" connections between the cells on top of the battery. If that is the case, yes mine had those. I don't see the second picture you make reference to. Recollection of my original battery was more like the one I had pictured (dated 01-24-2004) right down to the yellow caps and vertical ribs on the case. I seem to recall that the logo was not like the picture I had posted previously, mine was more like the first pictures you had shown, but in white and not a sticker but molded into the case in raised letters as the "French add" shows. Of course my memory might be tainted as that was 34 years ago ! Sorry if I have added to the confusion.

Good luck with your quest.

280SE Guy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:02:21 by 280SE Guy »

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:32:57 »
Hi Tom,
this may not be what you want but I took a few pictures of a 1958(?)  VARTA tar-top battery at Silver Star Mercedes in Escondido.
Franz knows someone who restores these old batteries.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:47:21 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 03:14:40 »
I believe I've seen adverts in the German Auto Motor Klassik of a company that sells old style batteries. As I'm in Curacao, mostly underwater except when posting here, please remind me via mail or PM to look this up for you after Blacklick!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Tom Colitt

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 19:07:35 »
Thanks Albert for the good pictures. Unfortunately, they don't confirm that a (late) Pagoda used this type of battery too. We still have that picture of a 230SL engine bay that point to the lead connections between the individual cells not being exposed.... Most of the other evidence seems to point to the lead connections being covered by the Black top.

Peter, maybe you can ask some of the original owners at Joe Alexander's place what they have to say (maybe pictures?) about their original battery?
Say Hi to everyone from me....

Regards, Tom