Author Topic: 123 ignition distributor?  (Read 5103 times)

Bob G

123 ignition distributor?
« on: June 26, 2009, 04:41:11 »
does anyone now or have on their SL  a 123 ignition Distributor? I own a 1968 280SL and want to set  up my car for road use and reliability. I have the later aluminum Bosch single point distributor. how does this 123 distributor compare to the Partronics kit. I am not looking at price but real time use with  both systems. 

I now this may be an apple and oranges comparison. but any feed back would be appreciate.

Bob  Geco

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: 123 ignition distributor?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:01:18 »
Bob,

where have you been? The 123 distributor has been discussed very extensively and in great detail in this thread: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9984.0

Bob Possel did a lot of research on them for his car. In the Technical Manual a summary is given.

Pretty much everyone who has one is very happy with it.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:53:47 »
Hi Bob G. !

The 123 has been working great for me.  I have used both the 123 and Pertronix.  I replaced my Pertronix, along with my distributor, with a 123 unit because my distributor was worn and not repairable.  The Pertronix setup works well with a good distributor.
Hope this helps.
bob

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:56 »
Peter.
I move slow these days still have pain in my legs from my back surgery. I got call as I explained to Bob from the sales representive  I posted the inquiry to makesure it was leglite.

See you in black lick Ohio.

bob & Sharon Geco

scp

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 12:34:30 »
Perhaps a bit off topic, but how does one remove the old distributor?  I have loosened the clamp and the distributor is frozen in place - it does not move at all (can not change timing).  Is there a degree of "persuasion" that could be used (beat on it with a hammer) or is it worth taking the distributor bearing body off the engine and bringing the whole thing to a machine shop?  Has anyone encountered this before?  Any suggestion would be appreciated.  Thanks.
-SCP

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 18:31:23 »
You could try some penetrating oil at the collar of the distributor applied over a few days, but it may be that after lack of use the collar is a bit stuck, so you may not have fully slackened it. The housing is aluminium, and the dissy (probably) steel, so you could try a little heat on the collar gently, but note that there are petrol lines around there also, so don't use an indescriminate naked flame. I would expend some effort with penetrating oil and attempting to move it back and forth before removing the entire housing. I think you'll find it will move with a little preparation.

Apparently a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone makes the best penetrating oil. I've also had success with old brake fluid (which I think JA recommended).

(Don't beat on it with a hammer, tho).

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL