Author Topic: Turn indicators - "Slow" blinking?  (Read 5980 times)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
Turn indicators - "Slow" blinking?
« on: June 22, 2009, 19:47:37 »
Hello All,

After working on the car last week to fix some electrical issues, I remembered something I had experienced when using the turn signals on my 250 SL. The turn indicators work (I have an Euro-Italian spec car, with the additional side markers on the front wings) in the sense of them coming on and blinking... but they blink in a very unusual way.

Let's say that a regular blinker in a modern car will blink about three times every two seconds. On my car, the interval is much longer, meaning that the turn light comes on when I move the stalk on the steering column and it will stay on for a good 2/3 seconds before it blinks and comes on again.

If I had to guess, I'd say the relay managing this function is a little "tired".

Any advise?

Thanks,
Andres G

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Turn indicators - "Slow" blinking?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 20:03:24 »
Hey Andres. First, I'd check the bulb. I would then be sure ground wires both front and back are nice and tight.
James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 20:10:02 »
A short of some kind somewhere would do that... but haven't we been over this ground already ?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 20:13:38 »
Andres,
did you change the bulbs lately?  Ever since I put higher W bulbs in the blinker frequency has slowed down and I believe there was an earlier post mentioning the same.
I haven't had a chance to go back to the old bulbs (still have them) to see whether it makes a difference.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 23:04:44 »
We saw the same sort of thing on Project 58 (190 SL). We had bulbs that were not correct, and that really did mess up the turn signal blinking. We got the generic 1157/1156 (for the 190 SL anyway) and voila!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Markus

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 12:21:35 »
Mine did the same thing, solved it by removing the signal flasher relay (cylindrical aluminum can) in drivers foot well. You will see a small round hole on the base plate (connector end) through which you can pass a micro screwdriver and adjust the "rate of flash"  Adjust the screw no more than a 1/8th turn clockwise or anticlockwise before checking new flash rate.   ;)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 14:19:50 »
James, I believe all grounds are ok, but I will get in and check the grounds if the repeater speed trick posted by Markus does not work.

Peter, I don't recall asking this specifically before, but when I searched the archives I found so many topics I decided to post my own.

Andres,
did you change the bulbs lately? Ever since I put higher W bulbs in the blinker frequency has slowed down and I believe there was an earlier post mentioning the same.
I haven't had a chance to go back to the old bulbs (still have them) to see whether it makes a difference.

Alfred, as a matter of fact I did change the bulbs when I put the new headlights on the car, about 1 month ago approximately. I did not find the exact bulbs (I believe they are 15W and I put 18W instead). You're probably right that this may very well be the cause. Thanks Johnny too, especially for the part number. I think I've seen the 1157s on shelf @ O'Rilley's.

Markus, what you mention is quite interesting as well. I will go in and check this as well, as it seems even easier than changing the bulbs.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Andres G

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 17:48:50 »
Mine did the same thing, solved it by removing the signal flasher relay (cylindrical aluminum can) in drivers foot well. You will see a small round hole on the base plate (connector end) through which you can pass a micro screwdriver and adjust the "rate of flash"  Adjust the screw no more than a 1/8th turn clockwise or anticlockwise before checking new flash rate.   ;)
Is this for real?  Does it exist on a 114 car also?  I just acquired a 250 C and both turn signals and the hazard lights go blink-blink-blink at an almost blindingly fast speed and there are no burnt out bulbs.  Help!!!   thanks
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California