Author Topic: Where to get chrome parts of dashboard?  (Read 4777 times)

Chuckbkk

Where to get chrome parts of dashboard?
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:24:48 »
Dear All members,

I am trying to find this chrome plates, 3 pieces all together, locate on top of the radio.
My pagoda is 280 SL, RHD / year 1971, chassis no.113044-20-019441.

I would really appreciate if you guys can give advise, how / where to find this parts.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:47:37 by Chuckbkk »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Need Advise for Parts
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:51:01 »
I don't think any of the regular vendors on the Supplier List have those, unless they have just scrapped a Pagoda... that's the likeliest source, a donor car. Look in the "For Sale" section of the board to see if anyone is selling a parted-out Pagoda and contact them!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Where to get chrome parts of dashboard?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 13:59:57 »
Has anyone ever had these three pieces re-chromed? Mine are peeling. I have searched as Chuck will -- tricky to find replacements.
James
63 230SL

Chuckbkk

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 18:01:05 »
Dear Peter

Thank you for your advise.

Chuckbkk

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 22:29:06 »
I have a complete set. They're in average condition but not RHD. Only the middle piece would be the same on either car.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:57 »
Has anyone ever had these three pieces re-chromed? Mine are peeling. I have searched as Chuck will -- tricky to find replacements.

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have had everything rechromed on my car including these pieces on the dashboard.  Further, I went against conventional wisdom, common sense, and the advice of experts and completely disassembled the fresh-air vent louver assemblies.  I did this in the hopes to actually plate each louver blade, but equally important to isolate the pieces which you need to do for plating.  There is a trim ring, the louver assembly, the defrost flap, and the base plate that comprise this trim item.

The platers would not touch the actual louver pieces--there was a problem with finding a good place to mount the electrical wire, and there were very small pegs on each end which would get their dimensions compromised.  Then, there was the possibility of one or more of these dropping in one of the tanks.  Lastly, these fine pegs--part of how they hinge--could easily get broken during the buffing process.  Too many trouble spots.

One big challenge, prior to any rechroming, is actually getting the entire assembly off the dash w/o damage.  The castings are zinc, and they are held to the dash I believe, by pegs.  Then, clips friction fit onto the pegs.  They are not designed for service.  It is easy to break these pegs off during removal or reassembly.

One challenge I faced, successfully, was removal of the defrost flap from the assembly.  I did this carefully with a pin-punch and a hammer.  It too, was not designed for removal; this flap is held on by a friction fit pin.

So, I only had the trim ring and the base plate replated, along with the defrost flap.  The assemblies went back together with more effort than I would expend today, but it can be done.  Here are some photos I took during the process.

The upper photo is the louver assembly after removal but prior to disassembly; it is held in with a spring wire and a zinc casting.  I don't suggest taking it any further than what you see here, which is the advice given to me and I pass it on.  Only by the good graces of a superior being was I afforded the opportunity not to screw it up.

The lower photo is the actual pieces that I did have replated; the base, the trim ring, and the defrost flap.

Best of luck to anyone who tries it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 15:48:10 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid