Author Topic: How the Fuel Sender Works?  (Read 3915 times)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
How the Fuel Sender Works?
« on: June 17, 2009, 00:29:50 »
Hi gentlemen........

I recently had occasion to remove my fuel sender unit from the gas tank to see if it was defective; my gauge was stuck in the "empty" position.  I cleaned the sender up and made sure the little wires were properly connected; everything looked good. After reinstallation I experienced the same result.... my gauge was stuck in the "empty" position.  This time I tapped on the glass in front of the fuel gauge and .....for the moment at least.....it is working properly.

While I had the sender out I noticed the plastic piece at the bottom of the aluminum cylinder. This little guy has some grooves in it, and it is sandwiched in between the cylinder and the washer/nut at the very bottom of the float assembly. 

Does anyone know the purpose of the plastic piece, and the purpose of the grooves on the bottom side?  I just can't relate to how this plastic piece affects the operation of the float assembly and the fuel level signal that is sent to the gauge. Your explanation is appreciated. 

I understand the significance of the resistance in the small wires, and how fuel level is determined by the resistance........thanks to this forum for providing that information.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: How the Fuel Sender Works?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 02:22:06 »
I have taken a few of these apart and my best guess is that the groved plastic is to allow fluid to slowly pass in and out of the sender rather than suddenly pass in and out.  If I'm correct, that would guarantee that the movement of the guage would always be slow and smooth rather than bounce around.   I don't know if I am correct or not, but this is my guess.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 16:16:18 »
Correct! That is indeed the purpose of the grooves. It acts as as a 'low-pass filter', allowing only low-frequency changes to the level of fuel inside the canister, which limits the float inside from sudden movement (hence maintaining a steady fuel reading).

The sender should be removed occasionally to clean out the grooves on the plastic disc as they can get filled with crud, preventing the gauge from draining properly and giving a false fuel level reading.

On one of my cars, I noticed all of a sudden that the fuel level reading had started bouncing erratically. On removal of the sender unit, I found that the bottom nut and disc had loosened and fallen off (and into the tank somewhere). This caused the float mechanism to react instantaneously to the level as the fuel sloshed around the tank (hence the erratic needle reading). I ended up having to drain the tank, remove it from the car, and turning/shaking it around until all the sender pieces had fallen out through the filler hole. Moral of the story: when reassembling the sender unit, always use thread-locker on the bottom nut that holds the disc in place.

Finally, be sure to inspect and/or replace the cork gasket underneath the sender (it only costs a few dollars). If the gasket is too old and crusty, your trunk will smell like fuel.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 18:14:58 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:53:03 »
Thanks Scoot and Waqas........  Good explanation.  I failed to notice how the fuel enters/leaves between the plastic piece and the metal piece below it.

I appreciate your responses.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder