Author Topic: Alternator adjuster nut access  (Read 6641 times)

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
Alternator adjuster nut access
« on: June 13, 2009, 20:11:01 »
For those who have a rotary compressor mounted above the alternator (a la Bud's Benz), I'd kill for an easier way to turn the adjuster nut that tightens the alternator V-belt. Last time I had to rotate the compressor out of the way in order to slide a long socket over the end of the threaded tensioning strut. This was a real pita just to tighten the belt. I think another way would be to remove the lower radiator hose off of the engine, also a job.
Has anyone with this setup found an easier way?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

DavidBrough

Re: Alternator adjuster nut access
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:57:57 »
Hi Andy,

I think I must be lucky with mine as a standard 1/2 drive deep socket does the trick for me with the compressor in place.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 12:57:55 »
David, thanks for your reply. You've have to admit that it's a tight fit to slide that 17mm 1/2" drive deep socket down that threaded rod until it engages the adjusting nut. But at least now I know that it is possible to do without touching the compressor. I will look to see if I can re-orient something in my original installation. 
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 15:31:18 »
Snap-on makes a 3/8 drive that is in the frame of a !/4 ratchet handle. I use this all the time in tight locations, like the alt. adjustment on cars with a/c.

I'm sure other brands would have a similar tool.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 21:51:35 »
Thanks Al, but my problem is impingement of the deep socket against the underside of the compressor when I try to slide it over the threaded strut in an effort to reach the adjustment nut. The socket gets blocked about 1/2" short of reaching the nut.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 17:24:20 »
Hi Andy,

It would appear I must have a different setup to yours as my adjuster is 14mm although I can still get a 17mm deep socket over the nut but then it's more difficult to get an extension on it due to the lower outside mounting for the compressor. I use a 3/8th drive and remove the outside lower mounting bolt and I can then get a small extension and ratchet on quite easily.

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 18:41:40 »
Andy:
I may not have a good understanding of your problem, but Harbor Freight has a racheting socket set where the socket, socket adapter and wrench have a hole drilled thru so that the socket can slip over an infinately long stud to the nut.
There was a time when I wouldn't have considered a HF tool, but as Chinese quality has improved, so has thiers. If it sounds like this might be a solution check out the HF web site which shows all their offerings.

Gus
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 20:17:00 »
David, I was mistaken, it is a 14mm (apparently 17mm was used on earlier SLs). Yet, I still can't reach the nut with a 14mm long socket, it can't slide all the way to the nut because it can't slip under the compressor.
Gus, thanks. Sounds like a cannulated socket/wrench you're talking about, but wouldn't help me.
David, I wish that I could see your set up, sounds like you have more room than I do under your compressor. I am using a 55amp alternator, but I'm pretty sure it's the same size as the 35amp.
Could be my belt length, which will determine the angle of the tensioning strut; but I am using an MB dealer supplied belt designed for the alternator in its factory position.
I spoke to Gernold who says he sees this all the time and he has to remove the compressor to get to the nut. Actually, he has an even harder time than I do because he mounts these compressors so that the hoses point down so that he can route them under the manifold and hide them. When he sets up a new belt, he won't even charge the A/C until the belt is tightened up after the break in period.
He says that he's working on an improved adjustment setup for the alternator that's more easily accessible.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

DavidBrough

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 19:07:28 »
Hi Andy,

Here's a picture of my compressor with the socket and small extension on the alternator adjusting nut, you can only see the end of the extension and where is fouls the lower mounting bolt which I remove when adjusting the belt. Don't know if that helps but it sounds like my compressor mounting bracket may be slightly different to yours.

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 20:03:40 »
Thanks for the picture David, very kind of you. I can't tell the difference between our mountings, they look quite similar. The angle of my socket extension is also about the same as yours when I lift my compressor to engage the nut.
The next time that I need to change my belt, I'm going to try to redesgn one thing or another.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo