Author Topic: Wanted: warm feet!  (Read 5442 times)

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Wanted: warm feet!
« on: June 11, 2009, 10:20:26 »
This weekend I turned the heater knob (the lover one on the left) from warm towards cold - and something in there went "twinggg!" and now it seems like there is no warm air coming out. Obviously something snapped in there and as Denmark can be pretty cold on summer nights and mornings, I would very much like to fix it. But unlike my previous classic (MG A), the backside of the dash seems difficult to access - how do I do it?
Or alternatively - can I do something in the engine compartment to make sure that the heat is always on, as I only use the fan, when it's cold anyway?

Best regards

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

DavidBrough

Re: Wanted: warm feet!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 16:50:20 »
Hi Ulf,

Take out the large rubber bung on the fire wall by the heater inlet and you can see the heater on/off valve and check if the cable has just come loose. You can then gain further access by removing the air vent cover, flap and filter if more is required. If the cable has pulled out of the dash end or broken you will need to remove the wooden speaker cover and find someone with very small hands to delve inside. Removing the radio or radio blank may also be required. This can be very fiddly indeed, so best of luck and report back when you've done the easy under bonnet bit and may be able to give you some more guidance.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 17:59:29 »
Ulf,
here are a few pictures that may help you locating the problem. As David suggested looking into the hole with the valve you can check whether the metal lever is still attached to the valve (most likely). Then remove the flap under the fresh air intake and check there. Some of those connections are visible only after removing the filter.  If the cable slipped out at the control lever inside the cabin (the one that you turned) then make sure you don't loose the slotted crown nut, they are hard to get!  Getting the whole control unit with all four levers out is a bit of a struggle - but see first where the cable broke or slipped.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 18:46:36 »
Notice the ball ended operating rod on the heater matrix valve.
The other end fits to the warm air plastic/bakelite flap.Red dotted line in Alfred's pic.
My guess is that socket end has broken off from the flap - probably because the heater valve is too tight.

You can manually turn the valve to leave the heater on. Then when you operate the warm air flap, you will get warm air.
You will still get some warm air even with the flap colsed because of leakage/worm seals.

naj
68 280SL

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:06:51 »
Guess I'll spend the weekend fiddling - hope my patience won't wear out..
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:22:18 »
Well, so much for my patience...I released all the visible screws holding the air intake just in from of the windscreen, but the thing wouldn't move one bit and access through the small speaker is impossible for my hands. Am I missing something here, some small bolt or screw well hidden somewhere...?

Ulf
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:24 »
...I released all the visible screws holding the air intake just in from of the windscreen, but the thing wouldn't move one bit and access through the small speaker is impossible for my hands. Am I missing something here, some small bolt or screw well hidden somewhere...?

Ulf

Yes, remove the chrome grill, close the fresh air flap and look thru the gap.
There are 4 or 5 screws that need to be loosened a few turns but not necessarily removed.
You can take off the cowl by moving it upwards.

naj
68 280SL