Author Topic: Soft top lid stuck!  (Read 4944 times)

Dahlknudsen

Soft top lid stuck!
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:13:39 »
I have read a lot of topics on this forum now regarding this problem!
And I almost came through!

I have released the center latch from the round hole in the trunck. I have released the right latch by pulling the cable through the small holes in the right side.

Nothing happens when pulling the cable on the left side. So my left latch is still stuck.

Below is a quote of mr. dsayars, I just cant really understand how i should get a screwdriver to release the left latch. What am i going press on, how to reach it, where to enter the screwdriver... etc...

Can anybody help me with this task?

Kind regards

Jakob Dahl

----
Quote from: dsayars on April 03, 2008, 04:52:42 PM

When the center latch is released, raise the bow to the vertical and click it into place. Now you can get to the side latches holding down the cover from above. Releasing these side latches is like releasing the center latch. You have to get a finger or a screwdriver underneath and push the bottom part of the latch back (toward the rear of the car).

Download Attachment:  softtop3.JPG
47.1 KB

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Soft top lid stuck!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 21:14:33 »
Study this page: read all the way to the bottom: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Tonys113

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 11:59:36 »
I have recently experienced the same problem. It is possible using a 12" long thin straight bladed screw drive to access the latch on either side of the soft top lid.
A strong flash light is also recommended. Insert the screw driver into the wide slot on the chrome top trim. Point the screw driver inboard roughly 20 degrees and rearward about 45 degrees. You will find the latch and push. Does take a little trial and error and 'FEEL' but I did it in less than five minutes.
My cable was broken and by the looks of it once I finally got the cover open, it was a wonder it every worked in recent years, the adjuster was way to loose.
I replaced the cable 1/16" Galvanized Steel Wire Rope. Works Great.

Tony

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 18:30:04 »
Thanks Tonys113

But I ended going to the local expert mercedes mecanic and he got it open by using a long iron stick with a hook and access from the trunk.

My cable is broken too. It works fine now but is no longer straight after pulling it a bit too hard trying to open the lid... so everybody else please be gentle or the cable may brake. And a new one is  a 130 Euros...

So Tony can you take a picture of how you solved the problem and made at new cable your self?

Kind regards

Jakob

Tonys113

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 19:24:58 »
I will.
I will have the car out of the garage tomorrow and get a few pics together.

Tony

Tonys113

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:17 »
Jakob,
here are a few pics of the repair to the Soft Top Lid Latch
I used a 1/16 Stainless Cable (300 lb. Tensile Strength) and Crimp-On Ends.
I drilled a 5/64" hole in the original fastener on the passenger side to accept the cable and crimped on the cap. Then threaded the cable through the sheath to the soft top latch on through to the drivers side release. Pulled the cable as tight as I could and crimped the end on. With both of the driver and passenger side adjusters in as far as they can go you can get the cable tight enough to crimp the end on then use the adjusters to take all of the slack out of the cable. Tighten the center soft top latch bolt and it works just great.

Hope this helps
Tony

Dahlknudsen

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:19:19 »
Thanks Tony

Looks allright. Not as unoriginal as one could exspect.

I just wonder if its one cable from passanger to drivers side. On your picture of the cent latch, is the cable cut in two or does it roll around the bolt some how?
So you used the original plastic wirecover and pulled the new stainless cable through it?

PS... great with the pictures...

Tonys113

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 19:54:12 »
It is ONE Continuous Cable from Passenger side, through the center latch and on over to the drivers side.

Yeah, it might be a bit of 'Rube Goldberg', but it works nice and who can wait for the right part when your in a hurry or in NEED.
Someday when the car gets a full on restoration, I'm sure that part will get replaced. For a 40 year old driver car, 'It Don't get any Better than DIY'

Tony