Author Topic: Time to retire?  (Read 10695 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Time to retire?
« on: May 31, 2009, 04:09:19 »
So, today I entered my car in its first-ever car show. This was a community event here in Nevada County to raise money for our local K-8 Elementary School (where my 3 kids happen to go...) 2nd annual. Anyway, quite a few cars showed up of all makes and models -- although the majority were our typical local crowd favorites: American muscle cars and some old vintage trucks and "rad rods".  Anyway, there were a few in the "Foreign Cars to 1973" category -- but needless to say, the rose among thorns was obvious! (and it didn't hurt that I had my kids pandering for votes amongst their friends)  :D

One for one! yeah.
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Time to retire?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 04:41:44 »
Congrats James, nice trophy!
But tell me, was there another "foreign car to 1973"?  ;)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Dick M

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 05:00:25 »
James..
how come you didn't tell me about the competion?? ;D

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:15:12 »
Hey nice win, congrats!  What did you give your kids for their services?
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Richard Madison

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 09:47:46 »
Nice win...congrats.

The Registry tells us the car is a very early '63 230SL called Guzzi and that it has no Power Steering. Good thing you are in Nevada...parallel parking without Power must be good exercise for the arms.

A Euro version 113 is a bit unexpected in Nevada. Where's the car originally from and how did it find its way to Nevada?

Richard M, NYC (driving a Euro Italian immigrant)
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 14:42:02 »
Thanks Guys.

Dick, once I heard it was only the winner that got a trophy, I accidentally lost your phone number! (and did you notice your paper was missing too?)

Alfred, yes a couple: but my only real challenge was a red MGB! Fortunately it was parked behind a 4x4...

Richard, yes -- no power steering in the Guzzi. Only a problem when I park... and you fell for a common misnomer -- we live in Nevada County, California where Nevada City is the county seat... again not Nevada -- go figure. However, Lake Tahoe and the Stateline are only an hour and a half away...

The car is indeed a euro originally delivered to the Netherlands. Somehow found its way to Hollywood (CA!) in the mid-70s. We got it there in 1980. So while you sing Volare to yours, mine tends to like cheese and Heineken....

And Dash -- they were well compensated -- including a ride home...

James
63 230SL

psmith

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 20:38:33 »
Congratulations James!  Looks like you and the girls had a great time.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:35:13 »
Thanks Pete. It was kind of exciting. It was all "people's choice" which meant it was really subjective judging. I displayed the run of Pagoda World in the back compartment and had a brief highlight sheet on the 113. Not sure anyone ever looked that closely! oh well. Got the votes!

And now, for all you detective types... who can locate my car in that first picture? Its almost a Where's Waldo for anyone familiar with that game. Not easy but a good sleuth may pick it out!
James
63 230SL

Andres G

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 08:05:28 »
Hey James, congratulations! I am sure it was a good time spent and for a noble cause. I will be entering our Pagoda on it's first car show this coming saturday, I only hope I don't get delayed in Hong Kong like last time I wanted to enter a car in that same show.

Last picture you posted looks like a happy family, so I'm hoping to get a similar one this saturday.

Cheers!
Andres G

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 20:00:37 »
And now, for all you detective types... who can locate my car in that first picture?...
It is well hidden I must say - did you really attend the meet?  :)
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 21:57:04 »
You are somewhat close Alfred. Yes I was there! and it is really hidden -- in fact, only because I know where to look, do I know. What's more only the passenger side visor is "visible" in the photo. So kind of an unfair seek and find.

1. Find the Orange Corvette
2. Go straight up to the Blue Ford 4X4
3. Go 90 degrees right past the Orange 69 Camaro hood to a Green 1940 Ford truck.
4. Just below the left hand corner of the truck's rear window is a white speck...Visor!

If one opens the photo in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it is a bit easier to see...

This one helps land it.

James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 06:45:45 »
Yeah, but where's Waldo?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 20:24:57 »
Oh he was over here for some reason...
James
63 230SL