Author Topic: Early Sun Visor clip orders PROTOTYPES ON TOUR  (Read 30885 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Early Sun Visor clip orders PROTOTYPES ON TOUR
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 22:49:23 »
Alfred, in your estimation, would these fit the after market visors sold by Millers, Buds, or SL Classics (if you know)? And would the grey be reasonably accurate for a 230 with dark blue MB TEX? If yes, or probably on both accounts, I'll take a set.
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 02:56:00 »
James,
since I have never seen a repro sold by Buds, Millers or anyone else I cannot answer your question. But if the bar dimension is the same they should fit.
A grey (or gray) clip was never accurate for a Pagoda, only a grayish beige was. But since even such a dyed-in-the-wool originalist as Achim is buying three pairs (thanks Achim!) then I guess you can consider the color to be reasonably accurate.
Attached is a color comparison (although in the photo the gray one has more blueish tint than in reality) - you decide.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:58:04 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 03:04:12 »
...  I used a flat file to get the tension just right as the directions said. ...

Here are the installation directions in case someone else needs to know. It is important to add the cup washers otherwise the base of the clip can split apart when screwed down to tightly.  That is the reason why most of them are broken by now.

Thanks graphic66 for your feedback!
Alfred

hauser

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 04:10:37 »
James,
since I have never seen a repro sold by Buds, Millers or anyone else I cannot answer your question. But if the bar dimension is the same they should fit.
A grey (or gray) clip was never accurate for a Pagoda, only a grayish beige was. But since even such a dyed-in-the-wool originalist as Achim is buying three pairs (thanks Achim!) then I guess you can consider the color to be reasonably accurate.
Attached is a color comparison (although in the photo the gray one has more blueish tint than in reality) - you decide.  ;)

Alfred, Buds did have at one time an ebay auction where you would send them your visors and would refurbish them.  Not really sure about the details.

Mike

« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 21:19:27 »
I did the refurbishing thing with Buds about five years ago.  They came back looking really great and I was delighted.  There was a slight difference in the texture (more pebble like finish) as compared to the originals but I like them.  Not sure why that program was discontinued. 

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 00:43:35 »
Back in 1998 I tried very unsuccessfully to repair my originals myself. They went from bad to worse. So I purchased new ones from Star Quality (Ray) or Miller's. Don't remember that part but do remember the pain of paying for them. They are not bad and still look like new -- only major bummer is they do not have the mirror. I think Kay's are the way to go now. Anyway, Alfred I thought I better "blank or get off the pot" on this this. If no one else has claimed the remaining sets I will take one. Let me know and I'll pony up.

James
63 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 15:27:20 »
What's up with the 230SL chrome on the glove box door? Was that added later or stock?
   By the way your lights are on.
   I also sprung the $700.00 plus for those visors back before the lesser expensive ones with the mirror were available. I did a complete interior redo and got done and realized you only noticed my old crappy visors and nothing else. I had to part with my money. But after that they kept popping out of the little clips constantly I was a little disappointed, but now with these new clips all is well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 14:47:43 by Peter van Es »

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 18:09:41 »
Hey Graphic66. I am pretty sure the 230SL badge was an add-on (maybe from the delete plate as my data card doesn't show a radio). Its a nice touch.

Are you basing the "lights on" idea by the position of my switch? I keep it in the middle -- 2 turns to right do lights, turns left do parking lamps (that don't actually work)...

Funny thing about the mirror: one time my young daughter was riding with me, her hair all askew from the ride, reached up to the visor and said "what kind of crazy car doesn't have a mirror?" ... I had to fess up.
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2010, 20:24:47 »
...  I will take one. Let me know and I'll pony up.
James
Are you still interested?
Alfred

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 00:47:35 »
Hi Alfred. Yes. I have sent you a PM...

signed, Mr. Forgetful...
James
63 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2010, 18:48:01 »
A bit of a follow-up on this: I installed my new visor clips today. They fit very well -- and hold my aftermarket visors (Star Quality 1998) very well. I had previously been using some aftermarket clips from Buds. They also did the trick but actually did not grip the visors as firmly as the new ones. Thanks Alfred -- good job. Here are some comparison photos...(The filenames hopefully reveal which is which)
James
63 230SL

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2010, 19:24:49 »
Happy to learn that you like them!
I am actually somewhat surprised that I did not receive any complaints about the clips knowing the discriminatory nature of this group.  ;D

Thank you all!
Alfred