Author Topic: Becker Mexico Cassete / Glovebox question  (Read 6877 times)

knockmacool

Becker Mexico Cassete / Glovebox question
« on: May 29, 2009, 16:29:50 »
Hi

When I bought my 66 rhd 230sl the radio was being refurbished. I now have it back and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the separate amp for the speakers needs to be fitted behind the glovebox. So several questions;
1. is this correct? i have searched becker autosound and this website and don't find a reference
2. how do i remove the glovebox?
3. is it possible to fit the amp behind the radio instead?

Finally full sunshine in Ireland! I wanna crank some tunes from my 70s cassette collection, so any help appreciated!

Drew

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Becker Mexico Cassete / Glovebox question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 17:14:33 »
Drew,
you do not need to remove the glove box (although it helps if you have big hands). There is a special bracket bolted to the firewall high in the foot well that holds the amplifier. Hope you still have the bracket - if not try Koenig's in Germany for a replacement.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 17:17:18 »
If there is a big grey cable coming out of the radio, it goes to a separate amplifier.  If there is not a big grey cable, then you don't have a separate amplifier and instead you will find speaker plugs on the back of the radio.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

knockmacool

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 17:51:36 »
Yes, big grey wire present, Scoot. 66and Blue, definitely no bracket and comparing your LHD with my RHD I don't know if the bracket will fit there- this is a post 71 radio in a 66 car- maybe it just rested behind radio (or is that too much of a bodge)?

knockmacool

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 18:06:16 »
OK, so I can actually rest the amp below the radio on the dash panel. I would have to shorten wires, seems easy, but I am concerned with heat/interference issues. Any thoughts ?

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 19:32:10 »
There should be enough room to mount an amplifier on the fire wall in the passenger compartment even in a RHD car.   Interference should not be a problem provided you have the correct spark plug wires and your alternator is wired correctly.  Heat is also not a problem since all amplifiers were mounted on the fire wall with the heat absorbing padding behind the bracket.
I would not "rest" an amp on the dash board, any amp should be mounted securely and shock proof.
How big is the amp for your Becker Mexico?  My guess is that it is about the same as the one for a Grand Prix (see photo).  In a 230SL the radio was mounted to the rear fire wall with an L-shaped holder bracket, radios in later cars have side mounts.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

knockmacool

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 20:16:21 »
Yes, it does look similar to Grand Prix amp. I will order a bracket. Thanks for your help!

Drew

PS Stick, we did play your tape!