Author Topic: Can't Lock Hood Down-64 230sl  (Read 2919 times)

mwest

Can't Lock Hood Down-64 230sl
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:58:37 »
For some reason the hood latch is not catching. When I release the latch from inside  the mechanism seems to work OK  but the hood will not lock down. Any ideas on how to get the hood to latch?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:05:04 by mwest »

bpossel

Re: Can't Lock Hood Down-64 230sl
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:44:15 »
MWest,

Couple places that you can adjust:
1. The lock mechanism on the firewall can be adjusted via the cable where it connects to the mechansim.  This adjustment ensures the cable operates well and returns to the correct position when you release the handle in the car.  Make sure this is clean of dirt (old grease removed) and a bit of new grease applied.  I use some white lithium grease here.
2. Under the top of the hood itself is another place to adjust.  Slightly loosen the 2 bolts (10mm?) that hold the "catch".  The "catch" will then float and allow for adjustment.  Carefully set the hood down to ensure you are adjusting in the correct direction. This is a trial & error type of adjustment.
Good Luck.
Bob

mwest

Re: Can't Lock Hood Down-64 230sl
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 20:51:35 »
Bob,
Thanks for your help. You were right, needed to adjust the catch on the hood. Loosend the 2  10mm bolts as you suggested, move the plate around till I found a position that worked and that was it. Thanks.
MWest