Author Topic: Total restoration question  (Read 3682 times)

IXLR8

Total restoration question
« on: May 23, 2009, 23:37:23 »
Hi--

I'm picking up a 1965 230SL in June.  It has all the K&K panels welded in for the floor and quarter panels.

I plan to re-do all the rubber parts on the car--boots, hoses, sub frame mounts, motor mounts, flex disc, transmission mount, differential mount, etc.

I also plan to re-do the shocks and the total interior.

I have read that the paint job is the last thing that people do in a restoration, but it seems to that I should strip the car as much as possible of all interior trim, exterior trim, door handles, lights, etc. and get it painted first.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, the original color is Signal Red with Parchment interior, but I was thinking of changing it to BlueGray (162) or Horizon Blue (304) with Navy Blue leather interior.  The interior leather and new blue carpet set come with the car, not yet installed. Should I go Blue or stay with the red?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Nate

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Mill Valley, California
Re: Total restoration question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 23:41:56 »
Joe,

Congratulations!  It sounds like you may be headed towards a full restoration.  If that's the case, I highly recommend you start off with a rust-free example that has not had rust repair.  You will end up spending far more than you think you will have invested at this point, and you and yours will sleep much better at night.  My $.02.
1971 280SL
Arabian Gray / Dark Red Leather

2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Coupe
Black on Black

2013 ML350 4MATIC
Arctic White on Almond Beige
Wife's car that I get to drive

1964 Porsche 356C Coupe
Irish Green on Black
Black Plate CA Car
Unrestored

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:00:40 »
Hi Joe,

Did you already purchase this one?

If the car is driveable, I recommend taking your time and driving her for awhile.  Do a lot more research and take your time.
I drove mine for over 4 years and gradually replaced pieces and parts over time and had fun driving her in between each repair job.

I then decided to do a repaint and totally strip the car.  As long as you are up to the challenge, totally removing all parts from the car will give you a better end result.  Putting the car back together again was not as easy as I had thought it would be.

If the original color is red w/parchment, I would recommend staying with this.  This color combo is very attractive on these cars.

With patience and the help of this group, you will have a good shot at it if you decide to go forward.
Good Luck,
Bob

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 16:11:38 »
Hello Joe,

My car is a '66 230SL. My Pagoda epic is very similar to what Bob did with his.  I found mine on eBay in 2004. It was a deteriorated mess but there was NO RUST due to the fact it was an Austin, Texas car. After determining that the head was shot and then replacing it with a rebuilt one from Metric Motors, I have been able to drive and enjoy the car while simultaneously performing a "rolling restoration".  Now, in year five, it is getting closer to being a finished product. In the beginning, after living with a it a while, I decided I hated the Middelblau vinyl and the Parchment paint. It is now DB172 metallic anthracite with a maroon leather interior.

Good Luck with yours,

Larry in CA
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet