Author Topic: how to remove headlight dash switch ?  (Read 4599 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
how to remove headlight dash switch ?
« on: May 15, 2009, 18:41:58 »
I'm going to re-paint my dash-------------I removed all the gauges and the emergency switch-Does anyone know the correct way to remove the headlight switch and the ignition switch?-I'm going to put a new ignition ring gasket on after I re-paint
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: how to remove headlight dash switch ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 21:30:42 »
Headlight switch is easy: pull off the black plastic knob, and then screw off the chrome bezel (using your wire coat hangar tool). The switch can then be pushed backwards into the dash.

The ignition switch is more involved. If you're just painting the dash, I would only remove the chrome bezel and then mask off the rest of the ignition switch.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 00:29:42 »
do you know how to remove the chrome bezel?-im going to change the gasket-can I do this without removing the whole ignition?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 06:14:52 »
The chrome bezel has three little tabs that bend radially outwards behind the dash. The bezel simply snaps out. Be careful with the bezel, I think they are NLA. Alternatively, you can gently bend 1 or 2 of these tabs from behind the dash in order to free the bezel.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 14:57:36 »
Headlight switch is easy: pull off the black plastic knob, and then screw off the chrome bezel (using your wire coat hangar tool).
For those who have never removed the black plastic knob, you might have to pull harder than you think.  Lots harder.  Don't worry if you mess it up, I think a new knob costs about 90 cents from MB.     I am not familiar with the "wire coat hanger tool" but it brings up images of Joan Crawford and Mommy Dearest.  Is the WCHT a substitute for snap-ring plyers?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 15:45:41 »
I am not familiar with the "wire coat hanger tool" but it brings up images of Joan Crawford and Mommy Dearest.  Is the WCHT a substitute for snap-ring plyers?

Yes, the "WCHT" was suggested here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10755.msg71384#msg71384