Author Topic: fog light bulb for euro lights  (Read 5328 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
fog light bulb for euro lights
« on: May 08, 2009, 02:47:24 »

Hi, does anyone know the number and where I can get the "fog" light for the euro lights.  It has a large bayonet base, with one contact in the center.  The glass is clear.  The SLS site states it is 35 watts.  My NAPA and M-B parts folks have no ideas.   Thanks, Ron

1966 230SL, euro

Allenh

Re: fog light bulb for euro lights
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:03 »
It may not matter.  Most euro cars have the switch disabled so the lights won't work.  Boy, if anyone knows how to cnfigure them to work, I would like to know.  I have the bulbs, but can't turn them on!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:16:15 »
Hi Ron, try Miller's or David Gallon Restorations. They should be readily available. They are 35 watt and a BA20 base. Allen, mine have always worked well -- have a look at the wiring diagram for the 230SLs in the wiki and you might trace the missing link. They should come on by pulling out the knob with lo-beams on.
James
63 230SL

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 19:27:42 »
James,

I think this is the light that fits our fogs:

635B / 48052
12V- 35W
A7275 BA20s BA20 Single Contact Bayonet
410-5017 B35 Clear Glass
C-6 Filament
100 Hours MOL
2.6"/66mm MOD
1.42"/36mm 53 MSCP

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp6235b.html

The one on the picture is a double contact one... there is no image for the single contact one, but it is available for $2 from the website listed below, quite handy by the way: www.replacementlightbulbs.com (I believe this is Ron Miller's website)

Regards,
Andres G

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 19:37:52 »
That sounds about right Andres. I believe mine were Narva but the 35 and BA20 parts look the same.

Now, I meant Miller's the 113 parts guys -- but it looks like that vendor may work as well...
James
63 230SL

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 20:01:59 »
thanks Andres, this is wonderful info.  I'll order some.

As to your issue Allen, my car ('66 230SL) is not even running, nor do I know of it's electrical issues, I've never had a battery in it.  But I do know those can be made to work. 

When imported to the US there were many things done to all these cars.  Some of the wiring is there, but never connected at the factory.

I have a 1971 220D which would not flash its headlights when the turn lever was pulled.  I knew that worked on a '74 240D that I once had so I went looking on the '71.  The wiring diagram shows the connections to the steering column switch, and my headlight wire was there at the switch, just no power.  Back at the fuse box, I could see that the wire did not make to to the proper fuse.  Taking the box hold down screws out, let me look under the box, and there was a harness with all the wires.  Careful inspection showed there were two layers of tape at the end.  Unwrapping the first layer uncovered the wire for the headlight flash function, doubled back on itself.  I connected it to the proper fuse terminal, now that car's lights will flash properly.  I see that my alternator wire has a double wrap tape, with a doubled back wire peeking out.  I think it is power for the A/C compressor, which the car does not have, nor did it ever have.

I assumed I was going to have to do some looking to get the headlights to flash with my 230.

On the fog lights in the 220D, you do have to pull the light switch out one notch and rotate one click for front fog lights.  I have euro lights on it and they work.  Additionally, there is a second pull out notch used to light a rear fog light.  With the rear fog light on, there's a green light that comes on in the center of the dash knob.  On my 220D, I had to wire that green light to the proper terminal on the light switch, and I intend to put the rear fog light on the car soon.

On the 230, I don't know if they ever used that light switch knob with the little green light in it.

BTW, I think German "fog lights" mean something different that my traditional definition.  All the M-B lights seem to just be serving as bright marker lights, not really, lighting the way as the US off road "fog" lights do.

Ron

1966 230SL, euro

Allenh

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 13:24:53 »
James, THanks for the instruction to "pull" out the switch.  I never knew!  Unfortunately, the switch will not reliably latch pulled out.  I will get a new switch down the road an install it.

Electrically, I knew they would work.

Allen