Author Topic: Dumber than this? "@#$%^&*"!!!!!!!!  (Read 18753 times)

Joeranger

Dumber than this? "@#$%^&*"!!!!!!!!
« on: May 02, 2009, 02:05:18 »
Boy do  I feel stupid. I got my 66 230sl mid restoration, so It came with boxes of parts. The engine has already been done, thank god. I put all of the boxes on a shelf in my garage meant for shoes and snow boots. Yep...Crash!
So, most of the parts were "old" engine parts, but now I feel like Cuba Gooding jr. in Men of Honor.
They were random parts to begin with...
Anybody do anything dumber? Anybody....Hello?

MichaelB.

Re: Dumber than this? "@#$%^&*"!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 02:22:48 »
I have a pal that had a hard day at work.

He came home thinking he would pick up his wife & take the car for a nice calming ride.

He pulled in the driveway, opened the garage door, pulled into the garage (left the car running) and then got out of the car to go into the house for a second to get his sunglasses & wife...

As he got out of the car he realized that the car was pacing him as he walked toward the front. Yup - He had left the car in gear (automatic).

The car ran nose 1st into the garage wall. The garage wall had a shelving unit on it. His wife has stacked all of their potted plants on the shelves. The shelves and the pots all fell onto the hood & fenders of the car with a B A N G.

Yes there was damage.

Okay, feel better now?

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 02:49:04 »
Oh yeah..... I'm dumber!!  I locked myself in the trunk of my SC-400 Lexus when changing out the hydraulic struts that are intended to keep the trunk lid open.  Sunday afternoon ...........about 90 Deg. F............. no one but me at home.............I don't even own a cell phone................  And I'm thankfully here to tell about it.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 03:26:56 »
Boy do  I feel stupid. I got my 66 230sl mid restoration, so It came with boxes of parts. The engine has already been done, thank god. I put all of the boxes on a shelf in my garage meant for shoes and snow boots. Yep...Crash!
So, most of the parts were "old" engine parts, but now I feel like Cuba Gooding jr. in Men of Honor.
They were random parts to begin with...
Anybody do anything dumber? Anybody....Hello?

At least the parts didn't fall on the car.  You might have felt a little more dumb then. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 03:32:16 »
Oh yeah..... I'm dumber!!  I locked myself in the trunk of my SC-400 Lexus when changing out the hydraulic struts that are intended to keep the trunk lid open.  Sunday afternoon ...........about 90 Deg. F............. no one but me at home.............I don't even own a cell phone................  And I'm thankfully here to tell about it.

So how did you get out?  Did you have the remote with you? 

I've noticed some cars with a pull cord to pop the trunk open in case you get the idea to climb in and change the struts?  :-X ;D
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 05:42:10 »
I had a four year old in the passenger seat and I parked the car on a slight incline. I hopped out to buy a ticket (we have to pay for parking on this side of the pond)

Next thing i hear is a thunk. Kid has put the car into gear and it's rolled down into the car infront. Minor fleshwounds to the car BUT the grille got damaged and one of the three points on the grille star popped backwards and pierced the radiator. So THAT'S what the handbrake is for ::)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Joeranger

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 20:40:42 »
You guys are awesome! I feel much better, thanks.

Allenh

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 22:06:07 »
Dear Dumber, I believe I have.  The day I brought my worn out project home and started down the driveway to the garage....  the door was closed, the car,I found out then, had no brakes- no hydrauilics, no E-brake.  After I fixed the door I cried over the nose. The grille was shot anyhow.  That was how my adventure began. 

I'll tell you later how I knocked it off my stands while I was under it.  Wet spot.

glenn

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 03:34:21 »
Google mapped Brackney.  Of the seven houses-yours is on Quaker Lake Rd?  Saw the Pagoda in the drive??

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:22:49 »
Google maps is amazing.  One day when I was really bored I went all the way around the world at about 2,000' with it.  Pretty cool.

Before I had heard about it, my sister sent me an email asking "Who is that in your driveway"?  I clicked on the link and saw my girl friend's SUV parked there.  I was a little spooked and amazed.  I know they don't update the images too often but that was just good timing. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 14:10:58 »
A man I know had an AC compressor on a shelf and it fell onto the roof of a 111 coupe.  That was pretty bad.  We've broken an otherwise really good headlight door on the buffing wheel.  (Early style)  Don't feel bad, things happen.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 16:28:09 »
A man I know had an AC compressor on a shelf and it fell onto the roof of a 111 coupe.  That was pretty bad.

I know that feeling... scares me sometimes to park any car in my garage.

Once left my car parked near a portion of my neighbor's yard where he was building a shed using thin metal siding... on a windy day.  I knew the risk. Heck, I was even helping in the construction. :'(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 16:29:54 by waqas »
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Allenh

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 00:21:55 »
Glen,

There are a couple more than 7 houses here and boy are you close, Quaker Lake Road Is down the road from Kennedy road.  But where I am, there are around 9 houses, but I think my benz was in the garage.  I would ask you what color it is, but you probaly read my introduction, that would be cheating.  My son swears by google.

Bob G

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 06:35:24 »
I can top all your stories. I take the cake in this months issue of how to be a stooge! I own a four post lift my Mercedes Benz is thankfully on the bottom. my beloved all original 1987 ford mustang LX notchback beds on top with blankets and a good car cover.

I was binging visited by my two nieces  the two little brat's " I say that in a loving fashion " I do not mean it  in a cruel way. They had me and my wife spinning around so much we both forgot to take note who was in charge.

I have no know time line when this  happen but here goes" May be I will receive the fickle finger of faith award this year a Joe and Marry's place or at  least a slap on the back of the head. Gee boss I forgot!!!!

I was getting my Mustang ready for the big Fabulous fords forever show in Buena Park California at knot's Berry farm.
the car was down and I was cleaning it and had just installed a leather Rapped ASE steering wheel and a new air box in the engine bay. I was feeling mighty good. That was until I folded back the car cover over the roof to give it a spray wax to get the dust off.
It was then that I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me or I was seeing a merage, God help me I held it in and almost ended up in post opt with a heart attack. luckily my wife was around to tell me what could of been worst!

I bucked the Frecken roof by raising it too high and forgetting to stop at the eight rum. Since their was enough padding on top of the roof below the car cover I never  her the ouch my poor ford must of cried.

It could of been worst it could of been my life or the 280SL. I know its fixable no glass got shattered or door post were pushed in., just a large bruse to my ego that some how got humbled that day in reflection for what could of been a really ,really bad day.

the ford will ride again not this summer perhaps next year when I fine the right shop and temperament to tackle another unnecessary expense.

so spare me your Witt's and make me laugh, it is what it is and I will not make that mistake again!

Bob Geco
Long  Beach, CA
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:39:48 by Bob G »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:21:16 »
So, Bob,

Are you now trying to deny that you were trying to create the first Pagoda Roofed Ford Mustang?

I think you could have hit upon a design classic! I say leave it as is and start a new trend.

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Witt

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 03:08:55 »
.....you guys are all amateures when it comes to screwing up....here is my story:

My brother borrowed my 86 VW Jetta automatic and returned it with a broken shifter lever. He did made me aware of it, but I forgot about it.
Leaving for work the next morning I remembered the problem. In order to start it it has to be in drive or neutral of course. I selected what I thought was neutral and knowing that the neutral lockout switch would not function, I got out of the car, opened the hood and jump started the motor!
Now I know why it is called "jump-start". The car, you guessed it, started up and it was in drive and drove not only over my foot but came to rest over it. ( The garden fence in front of the car prevented it from going any further.

So picture this: here I was with a running car and the left front wheel on my left food, I wasn't going anywhere. Thank god I wore steel toed shoes that are mandatory at my work. After being helpless stuck for a few minutes it finally dawned on me that the hood was open and all I had to do was pull the center wire of the distributor to stop the motor.

But wait, there is more....
After fiddling with the shifter again, I was positive that I was in neutral.... ( again...) I jump started the car, watching my feet this time and the car started and ended up in the fence putting a big bulge in it. (Gives new meaning to the term "catch-fence")

My brother gave me a ride to work and the fence was easily fixed. The local VW dealer got me the necessary parts within a week and I was selecting drive wit a pair of vice-grips for that time. The repair was relative easy

CHEERS !
WITT !

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 13:01:23 »
I have a piece of tape on my stationary lift post to mark the maximum height of the arm as it is rising.  
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:12 »
Ran my car out of coolant the other day ( again ) but at least it wasn't the Rocket. This is my 300SE so it's not so bad.
We pulled the head and no major damage done. Warped the head about .015'' which is considerable. We will heat it in an oven to about 350 degrees and pull the warp out. With any luck it will stay straight and all it will need is a very light cut.
I decided to do a number of repairs I've been putting off so it kind of worked out OK in the end. Besides, I get to use the wifes car while she's in the hospital.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

cascadia

• Senior
  • USA, OR, Portland
    • http://www.cascadiaclassic.com
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 05:40:20 »
Here's a couple, one where I lucked out and one where I didn't. 

I was restoring a TR4 awhile back and rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder.  The piston wasn't coming out so I put some a little compressed air to it.  Still nothing - so I gave it a good blast and sure enough POP out flies the piston.  It headed eastward through my shop about 30 feet, right where I had all of the freshly painted body panels stored.  The were leaning against a glass fronted cabinet.  Well, it's amazing but this little projectile landed on the cabinet ledge, right behind the body panels and right in front of the glass panes of the cabinet.

One instance where I was not so lucky was when I had a 63 Buick Riviera parked between my 2 post lift.  The car had just been restored, a beautiful black on red example, it was already sold and waiting to be picked up the next day by the transporter.  I decided to move it from the lift and get it near the door for tomorrow's pickup.  I've moved countless cars in and out from between these 2 posts but for some reason I misjudged this one.  I'm moving slow and all of sudden I hear a sickening SCRUNCCCHHH sound.  Yep,I  scraped a good 16 inches of paint off the passenger door and created a nice dent for good measure.  Turned off the car and got out to see what was in store for me.  It was one of those moments where you really can't believe you were THAT stupid, and of course you only have yourself to blame.  I picked up the phone and dialed my customer on the opposite coast to tell him what happened, thankfully he was the good natured type and said he'd have his paint guy take care of it.  3 weeks later I mailed him a check for $700, that was an expensive mistake.
Bob in Portland, Oregon.

hill

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 18:17:02 »
Doing a carb rebuild on a Deville convertible. Had it on the lift up high so the night kid could mop the floor. Said kid wanted to work on his car, so he lowered the cad closed the hood and fired it up.  The cad started with the fuel hose pumping in and around the intake manifold.  Big fire really big fire. They fired me for not having the battery disconnected.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 21:21:27 »
OK I have one. Helped a friend who was working on his Triumph Spitfire. We replaced the stock steel wheels with nice, knock-off wire wheels, that came with their own threaded hubs. To prevent these wheels from coming off during driving, they have right- and left thread hubs. Guess what we did wrong ...

So we took the car for a spirited test drive on the highway. Just seconds after we pulled off the highway, at lower speed heading to the street where my friend lived, all of a sudden the car tilted backwards to one side, the chassis started scraping over the pavement, and we could see the wheel that had just turned itself loose proceed on its way to freedom, leaving us behind in shock. At least it didn't happen on the highway ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Brian Harris

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 23:07:03 »
Came home to unload a car from a trailer... backed tow vehicle up to trailer tongue... wife calls me in for supper... return and commence to drive car off trailer... and at the moment of dis-equilibrium, the three of us go for a ride down the driveway... me, the car, and the trailer "stick" an Olyimpic quality landing (stopping) in the middle of the street to the shock, surprise, and humbling applause of my observing neighbors.

My truck is now never within 2 feet of the trailer tongue without the ball captured, locked, and safety chains attached.

Cheers... Brian

« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 23:08:38 by Barris »