Author Topic: Whazzit: 2-wire Wiring Block on Side of Blower's Air Handler  (Read 5204 times)

heliotropic

See pic.  1) Don't know how it's supposed to be wired (don't see it in either the early or late 230SL wiring schematic) and, more importantly, 2) can't figure out its intended purpose (there's nothing inside the air handler, e.g., temp sensor, ground, that warrants a wiring block).  Illumination, please.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Whazzit: 2-wire Wiring Block on Side of Blower's Air Handler
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 18:55:52 »
I'm not great out of context as I don't recognise the part as-is, but to my untrained eye it looks a great deal like the terminal for the glove compartment map reading light do dah. The block takes is simply a terminal connector. It takes it's power from 2 wires the eminate in that compartment, and then the two wires from the gloves compartment are attached to them at the terminal block and a screw put through to secure them.

At least that's what it looks like.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

heliotropic

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 21:44:07 »
Yes, what I'm referring to as the air handler resides under the instrument panel and is attached to the front of the blower motor.  The terminal block in question is on the right front corner of the air handler which puts it in reasonably close proximity to the glovebox/reading lamp. 

Both 230SL wiring diagrams show that the glovebox/reading lamp receives power from the glovebox/reading light switch, with its other lead going to ground.  It seems an unnecessary step to run both the switched power lead and ground to a terminal block before running them to the lamp itself.  Other than keeping things original, can anyone suggest why this additional step might be worth retaining?  Thanks.

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 23:12:16 »
2 wires go to clock-and 2 wires go to light at glovebox-this is just a junction point they used for the wires to meet------------two wires go on one side-pos---2 wires neg----------2 pos from clock and glovebox-2 neg from clock and glovebox
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 23:33:13 »
correction-2 wires come from the clock junction-they may go to the reading light-------------you will see them when you get under there-they will be hanging down, because there is no other place for them to go
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Allenh

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 00:58:44 »
That block IS the connection for the map light cable.  A brown ground wire goes to one terminal and the other terminal comes from the switch on the right side of the glove box opening.  The two wires from the glove box door fixture connect to them. Your picture has no wires evident, it may be a prior owner had eliminated them since the light didn't work.  the cable that runs through the hinge fatigues and can short and cause issues with the harness, smoke, sparks and fire. 

I had to repair this area of the harness during my restoration.  You could neatly use the cable from a rear license lamp from a vintage Benz.  Very flexible, right diameter, excellent repair. those old lamps are not exposed to UV or other elements and are like new cables.  Note, Always solder your connections, just like the originals