Author Topic: Ignition Control Unit Wire Harness  (Read 3866 times)

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
Ignition Control Unit Wire Harness
« on: April 23, 2009, 21:45:46 »
Some years ago, someone bypassed the ignition control unit on my 71 SL.  I want to  re-install the unit but I am missing the wiring harness.  Could anyone help me out with a used one?  I called Classic Center and they are not available anymore.  Sam
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Ignition Control Unit Wire Harness
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 21:51:27 »
Are you just looking for the wire harness connector that plugs into the ignition module, or the entire wire harness?

From what I understand, a wire harness includes all the wiring for the car (in one long cable bundle, with many splices for all the connectors, etc). As far as I know, it is still available (at least from 3rd-party sources).
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Sam SL

• Regular
  • Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:13:23 »
I'm looking for the wire/plugs that would connect up the ignition control unit.  I believe there are 4 wires, not for sure because I haven't bought the ignition control unit yet.  I understand this unit is unique to the later cars like my 71.  With the unit currently bypassed, my fuel injection pump does not get a proper signal to shut off fuel when the car is coasting. 
Sam

'71 280 SL  -- Green Queen
82 300D
92 500E
97 SL500

hill

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 16:22:10 »
I'm looking for the wire/plugs that would connect up the ignition control unit.  I believe there are 4 wires, not for sure because I haven't bought the ignition control unit yet.  I understand this unit is unique to the later cars like my 71.  With the unit currently bypassed, my fuel injection pump does not get a proper signal to shut off fuel when the car is coasting. 

Thats what happens when you drive a newer car ;D