Author Topic: Euro Headlight Refurbishment  (Read 11919 times)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
Euro Headlight Refurbishment
« on: April 18, 2009, 17:33:37 »
Hello All,

I've decided to give my headlights a little life after noticing there was a little rust and fading on the chrome pieces in them. Not sure if someone has tried this before here but I'm hoping to get decent results since I'm starting off with pretty good units to begin with.

First step was to take the glass out by removing the clips that hold them in place. After this, I removed the reflectors beginning with the main unit which comes out by driving the screws that adjust the angle on them (Bulb and bulb holders come out pretty easy).

Next, I took out the turn signal reflectors which are attached with two small flat screws that hold them in place via two small black clips. In order to remove it completely, the wires from the back and the small circuit that is attached with four folded clips -if you can call it that- needs to come out. The white wire is riveted to the circuit while the brown one is welded on, this one needs to come out too.

Finally, the fog light reflector had to come out. This one is held in place with two rubber bumps, one on each end, and with the adjustment screw as well. The bulb holder and wires come out easily here too.

The aluminum chassis that holds the reflectors in place is in perfect shape, only needing new seals which I am wondering where to get...

With the three pairs of reflectors on hand, a close examination showed that the rust on the fogs was quite serious while the others (Main and Turn indicator) were in good shape. I decided to drop these two at the local chrome shop (pretty convenient prices here, only $120 to replate all 4), while the fogs I would work on myself. I took these to a friends' shop where I media-blasted them myself, only to find out they were rusted enough to make me doubt I'll be able to recover them at all.

Today I will buff them with steel wool and apply self-etching primer to see where I get. I might just opt to get new ones if they are still available as individual pieces.
I only have a few pictures as I did not have the camera with me at the time. I took these this morning prior to buffing.

If anyone knows the part number for the fog reflector, as well as the amber plastic that covers the turn signal reflector and the rubber seals, I'd appreciate the info quite a lot!

Thanks,
Andres G

PS: I will post pictures later, having trouble right now...

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
Re: Euro Headlight Refurbishment
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 23:58:25 »
Andres,

Many years ago when I did up an old '26 Chev, I went to have the headlight reflectors re-chromed only to be told that it should be plated in Silver to get the correct reflective surface, not chrome as chrome throws a darker reflective light.  I did them in silver and they were fine.  I have never tried it in chrome and will be interested in how they go.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Eryck

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 13:18:33 »
I refurbed my headlamps a few years ago and did a very similar thing.  I chromed the reflectors knowing that they should be silvered but my car was in bad shape and I just wanted to get it to look 'presentable' all round first.  Still got the chrome reflectors today and they are fine because I don't drive much at night and from the outside, you can't tell. 

The seal for the headlamp can be purchased quite readily I think.  I got mine from SLS in Germany. 

Bob G

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 04:31:12 »
Andres:

big project, too big for  me I am not  patient like some of us with these small laborist projects. I do know the European Bosch lamps have trippled in value. I remember on oneset of lights I had to carfully take the clips off the body that hold the lens on the unite. What a pain to put them all back correctly. I remember contacting Bosch in Canada because the USA distributor would not help me because it was not DOT approved light!!! I wanted some extra clips. I di get  the clips but they are just a centimeter too short. bummer. that is how difficut it is to get parts for these lights.

I take my hat off to you . Please contribute to the technical forum when you figure out the how to instruction manual for restoring your european w113 headlights.

Best Regards
Bob Geco USA
1968 280SL

hkollan

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Spain, Castilla-La Mancha
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 08:39:57 »
Anyone know a source or a part number for those clips holding the glass, or a modern replacement that will work?
 From memory the clips used on W123 or W124 headlights are longer, and won't work.

Hans K, Cuenca, Spain
1968 280 SL 387 Blue met., parchment leather
1971 280 SL 462 Beige met, Brown leather
1968 280 SL 180 Silver, Red leather
1964 300 SE Lang 040 Black w/Red leather
1985 500 SL 735 Astral Silver w/Black leather
1987 560 SEC 199 Black met., Black leather

RickM

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 21:11:51 »
I posted this on the Pelican Parts Forum (Porsche Tech forum) a while back. Perhaps it will help someone here....

Reflector refinishing/resilvering services: http://www.stevesautorestorations.com/headlight.php

Steve's Auto Restorations
4440 S.E. 174th Ave
Portland, OR 97236

Phone: 503.665.2222

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 21:18:51 »
Hello All,

I wanted to provide an update on this... I had trouble with the pictures of the disassembly process but I took plenty of pictures when putting things back together. I hope this is useful for someone looking to have theirs redone, especially considering the current price of the headlights brand new. I'm very pleased with the end result, and I'd only do a couple things differently in the future if I were to do this again.

As I explained in the first message, I had taken the main reflector and the turn reflectors to have them refinished. They came back in great shape, much better than I expected. Here's a picture of each.

The fog reflectors however, were too far rusted to be re-plated, so I tried something different. After media blasting these and applying some etching primer, I gave them a couple coats of "bumper chrome" aerosol paint. The result was suboptimal in my opinion, but the lights worked ok. If I were doing this again, I'd probably choose to replace them with new ones. (Part # Reflector - Foglight / parking light - 000 826 35 78 - Expect to pay about $100 each)

Also, I had removed the main reflector units by driving the alignment screws. I then cleaned these thoroughly with WD40 and a soft metallic brush, to remove any dirt and rust from them that would complicate reassembly.

So, to put these back together, I started with the main reflectors. After driving the screws back in place, the rubber bumps need to be put back in place. I used a pair of long nose pliers (be careful! Rubber can become brittle with age).

Next, I put the fog reflectors in place. Again, first driving them with the alignment screw and then locking the rubbers in place with the pliers.

After this, the turn indicators need to go back in. These are really easy as they are held in place with two metallic clips that screw in place with a flat head screw driver. Once in place, the circuit needs to go back in place. This is not too tricky to do, just need some patience to put the circuit back in place and twist the brackets to hold it in. Finally, the brown wire needs to be soldered back in it's place.

Once this is done, there's only a few steps left... Above all, do not forget to put the turn indicator light bulb in place at this time, as it will require to remove the metallic clips again to put it in if you do not do this at this time. I decided to use an amber turn bulb as I was unable to locate the original amber plastic that covers the indicator (I guess they did not have amber bulbs back then?). The rest of them can be put in place with the glass in place with great ease.

Next, the seal for the headlight lens will need to be replaced before re-fitting the glass (Part #000 826 57 80 64 - About $15 each). It's a little tricky to get it in, ingenuity and patience definitely help. After the glass is in place, replace the six metal clips that secure the glass against the chassis. I chose to set the clip on the glass side and to pull it from the other end. I found it relatively easy to do this using a thin flat head screwdriver to pull them from behind and into their place on the aluminum chassis.

A tip on the glass lenses: I put mine in the dishwasher and ran them through a full cycle. They came out looking exactly like new...

Most of the lightbulbs are easy to find at your local autoparts store, except for the main light bulb and the fog bulb. I ordered these from two different places:
Main bulb*: $14 - Type 48884 (http://store.candlepower.com/) * - I decided to use the upgraded 60/55 W bulb. The original one is a 45/40 W - Type 48121 - $11.75

Fog Light Bulb: $2.5 - Type #635B (http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampshardtofind.html)

Going over the numbers, I spent $35 for the main bulbs, $9 for the fogs, $ 12 for the Turn, Parking and Driving bulbs (I did not get the correct ones, so I haven't fitted them yet), $35 for rubber seals, $130 for Chroming, $10 for the aerosol paint and primer, and less than $3 for the steel wool I used to polish the reflectors. I did also buy a new lens as one of my HL had one with a rock chip on it... I got this one for $120 delivered but probably should not count against the total cost of the refurbishment if you're starting with good but old looking units.

There is only one more thing needed to complete the project. That is two sets of the main seals, the ones going between the Headlight and the body. The part # is 000 826 62 80 and should cost about $30 each. I had a friend give me these for free  ;D

After all is set and done: Voila! I got myself a brand-new refurbished set of headlights for about 300 bucks!

I will complete this writeup later and add it to the tech manual once I get my full membership.

Regards,
Andres G

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 21:47:46 »
Great writeup Andres.

Looks like new!

Can you see a huge difference with headlight brightness now with the re-chroming and brighter bulb?
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 22:15:24 »
Andres, nice writeup. I take it you had the reflectors re-chromed instead of re-silvered? Where did you get this done from?
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 23:40:44 »
Thanks guys!

Dash: I did not notice much difference to be honest. They do look like new... I might regret having plunked down the money to get a new set of headlights, which I did when the chrome shop told me it would take them over a month to get to my parts, turned out to be a little over 2 weeks.  ???

Wagas: I had the reflectors redone in chrome instead of silver, since it was impossible to find a shop capable of doing the latter. I had this done at Withworx Metal Finishing. It's a very small shop in Lincoln, Arkansas (West of Fayetteville) where they specialize in restoration work in many types of metals... they work with restorers from all over the mid-south and seem to have a very good reputation.

Regards,
Andres G

jacovdw

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:05 »
Hello Andres,

Excellent write-up!

Just to add to this excellent thread, those little black rubber bumps that you have reused on your headlight units are still available from MB.
Part number is A000 826 00 94 and a total of 6 is required per car.

Sadly, the seal A000 826 62 80 (between headlight and fender) is NLA from Mercedes.