Author Topic: Clock repair.  (Read 4681 times)

sfox

Clock repair.
« on: April 17, 2009, 00:25:07 »
My clock only works part time. I have removed it from the dash but I am having problems removing the white plastic back. I have a 67 230 SL. The clock back has two small bolts that I have removed. It has a light blue dial on the back. What is that? does it have to be removed. What is that? Let me know if anyone can help.

Thanks,
 ???

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Clock repair.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 00:30:51 »
Hello sfox,
You might consider referencing our technical manual, which has an excellent section covering the clocks here: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Clock
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:41:08 »
Or after several attempts at repairing it you could just save all that aggravation and get the quartz unit. It is so cool to have the clock spot on after several months of storage. From my memory these are sealed with some melted plastic or something. I should remember, I bet I took it out about ten times trying to fix it before getting my quartz unit.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:14:21 »
Or after several attempts at repairing it you could just save all that aggravation and get the quartz unit. It is so cool to have the clock spot on after several months of storage. From my memory these are sealed with some melted plastic or something. I should remember, I bet I took it out about ten times trying to fix it before getting my quartz unit.

...But they are most definately repairable!

I followed the superb posting in the wiki and did a good amount of research on the site and then set about trying to repair my clock. It was the solder, plain and simple. Of the many, many jobs I've done on the car, fixing the clock was a real highlight for me. It doesn't keep great time because I need to adjust how it runs, but I love the original clunk.

Sfox, do a bit of research, read the wiki post and search for my post on the repair. The little box you mention is some sort of tamper evident seal and you need to prise the top off it and expose the nut underneath. With that off, you'll be able to remove the back and get to the innerds. Don't give up just yet! Good luck.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 22:26:13 »
I have to jump in here and agree with James.  My clock worked well for about a year after I bought the car.  Then the clock stopped.  I took it apart and found the fuse blown...  I then used plain solder per the instructions, and it then worked great!  Of course, it doesnt keep accurate time...  off by a few minutes each week.  But no problem!  Just adjust as I get into the car.  I read that even if you remove the clock and adjust on the "bench", depending on temp, climate, etc...  the clock will never be 100%.  I like the "click" sound of the original clocks...
Bob