Author Topic: Rearview Mirror - Which one is correct?  (Read 3774 times)

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
Rearview Mirror - Which one is correct?
« on: April 14, 2009, 19:01:53 »
Hello All,

Going through the parts and spares supplied to us with our car, I've discovered a rearview mirror that is different from the one currently in the car.

The one that is on the car now is all chrome, complete with the gooseneck and the structure that holds the mirror. The other one has a chrome gooseneck and a black plastic structure. I also noticed that when I toggle between positions on the all chrome one, it moves the complete mirror/glass assembly together with the chrome while the black one moves the mirror behind the glass keeping the plastic structure in place.

Which one is correct for a 250 SL? I can provide pictures later if necessary.

Thanks,
Andres G

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Rearview Mirror - Which one is correct?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 19:07:10 »
Early models had the chrome version, whilst later ones had the plastic version. All replacement parts were plastic. Look at your VIN#, or look at the rest of the trim in the car, to determine which is correct for your car. The mere presence of the chrome version in your car points to that being the original one (the chrome version is hard to come by).
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 19:16:16 »
Thanks again Wagas. Would you happen to know if the chrome one can be taken apart? The glass inside looks dirty, at least to my newly developed OCD standards...

Andres

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 19:29:15 »
I believe it can be taken apart, but you need to be very careful and have the right tools. I remember once taking mine to a watch-repairman, and he was able to prise apart the two halves of the mirror without damaging the chrome edges.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

paults1

• Senior
  • USA, FL, The Villages
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 19:44:01 »
Yes. you can take the chrome one apart.  You can pry off the chrome surround on the mirror from the back case.  I used a very thin small flat screw driver on the indents on the top & bottom of the case where it attaches to the mirror surround.  Be carful when you have it apart, the mirror dim lever is very tricky to re-assemble. Take a photo of it before you start cleaning.

Regards, Paul, early '63 230SL

Eryck

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 13:23:30 »
Just to echo Paults1's comments.  The mirrors can be taken apart very easily.  I did a second mirror last week and no issues.  Use a couple of very very small flat head screwdriver.  Keep the first one in place once you get it under the 'hinge', put the other one in near the other 'hinge' and off it comes.  Re-assembly is just a matter of snapping it back together.