Author Topic: Replacing Relays  (Read 2976 times)

KUMARB

Replacing Relays
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:34:56 »
I am replacing the old relays with new ones which are less expensive. Has anyone done something like this? Any pitfalls?

There are three relays behind the washer bottle in the engine compartment. They are four prong Bosch relays with round pin connections. These relays are still available and cost around $100 each. New relays have spade connections and cost around $10 each. Of course, I will have to replace relay bases too, which is not a problem. Older Bosch relays will get harder to find in the future and become more expensive; whereas, the new spade relays are plentiful and will be reasonably priced. Most newer cars including MB seem to have spade type relays.

Regards,

jeffc280sl

Re: Replacing Relays
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:19:12 »
I have replaced the older relays with newer versions.  I did this by carefully opening up the old relay and mounting the new relay inside .  I then used spade type connectors on the new relay and soldered the other end to the appropriate round pin.  Then put the old base back in the can and crimpt the edge or the aluminum cover.   This way it looks original but is new inside.

KUMARB

Re: Replacing Relays
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:36:12 »
Thanks, JeffC, for taking time to respond to my question. It is reassuring to know that changing to new spade type relays will work just fine. You went through great lengths to keep the original look. What was the AMP rating of the relays? They were plain relays, or resister or diode type, do you recall?

Regards,