Author Topic: Travelling South  (Read 3279 times)

n/a

Travelling South
« on: December 16, 2003, 04:40:28 »
Hi everyone

I've just come back from a five day trip through southern New South Wales and Victoria and I'm pleased to say that the 230 SL didn't miss a beat. My wife and I needed to visit several country towns and rural cities for our work and we covered 2,400 km (about 1,500 miles) through wine country, riverland and outback plains. On the last day, we were a bit rushed and drove 800 km to get home. We cruised with the top down in the mornings but the afternoons were a bit hot for fresh air motoring. Temperatures reached the mid to high 30's on most days. A good way to get a tan. The car was happy to cruise at 65-75 mph all day and although it's a bit noisy at these speeds, the exhaust sounds better than a radio station anyway. On one occasion I took it up to 90 to overtake a truck and it still had plenty of go left. Even though we had to work we had a great trip, made even better by the faultless behaviour of the car.

Life doesn't get much better than this.

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
Re: Travelling South
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 06:28:20 »
Hey MarkR,

Are you running on Premium Unleaded?
Over all what economy did you end up with?

Bob (Brisbane,Australia)
early 250 SL, RHD
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

n/a

Re: Travelling South
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 15:39:45 »
G'Day Bob

Yes, I run Shell Premium Unleaded with no additives. The car never complains. As to fuel economy, I have no idea. I've always considered petrol to be the cheapest thing you put into a classic car. My last car was a V12 Jag and fuel economy wasn't it's strong point. I'll work it out on my next long trip. I'm taking the 230 to the Gnoo Blas historic car show in Orange next February so I'll let you know.

Regards

Mark

1965 230 SL light blue, auto, RHD