Author Topic: Sun Visor Clips  (Read 8008 times)

benzportland

Sun Visor Clips
« on: March 25, 2009, 20:57:24 »
We have prototypes for the early version reproduction sun visor clips which are supposed to fit early vision visors.  Many thanks to Alfred and Scott for looking at them, but we want a few more opinions on fit and finish.  Any volunteers please? 

hill

Re: Sun Visor Clips
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 21:33:11 »
I have a early style 250 will that work?

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 21:39:45 »
Yes.  PM me your mailing address and I will send them to you.
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 17:07:55 »
Update - thanks again everyone for the feedback on the clips.  The originals were too soft to hold the visors in place when under any real wind resistance, so I have a more rigid one I want to send out.  I would test them myself but I do not have the correct visors (I figured I would get the correct clips first).  This prototype is black, beige and/or grey will be available in production but note that those colors change in sunlight over the years so they likely will not match your old ones. 

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 18:28:41 »
Bob,

I'm not entirely sure if I have the correct sun visors... how can I tell? I'd gladly help with the testing if I turn out to have the correct visors.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Andres G

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 00:07:03 »
66'230SL, is that a candidate?

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:42 »
Another consideration with the new clips - if you tighten them down with the screws, are the screws going to just eat into the plastic or is the plastic hard enough to not give way?  I think that this is one of the reasons that my original ones have the metal structure inside of them...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

benzportland

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 22:47:50 »
The metal inside the newer ones definitely makes them stronger, but I had original oneswhich were still in solid condition.  The cost to reproduce ones with the clip inside was outlandish, given that no small firms are able to fabricate both pieces.  I think the best quote I got for that route was $2,500.  Mine will be relatively cheap, so perhaps buy a few sets, and use a small washer for the screws so the clip is not absorbing wind drag directly. 

Color is a tough one.  Some have said they match fine, others, not at all.  I think they have all aged differently depending on the climate they are in, and generally they all darken with time. 

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 23:10:25 »
If you are going to PUB can you take a few along as I would be interested in a couple and can carry them home. I will need an extra bag for all the goodies I am collecting.
Thanks Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

jszeman1

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, NY, Waterford
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 17:11:23 »
Bob, I have a 63 230sl.  If you would like I can test.  John
JohnS

tom.hanson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 00:06:21 »
early and late versions are still available new from MB. We keep them in stock here at the Classic Center.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 00:15:35 »
But do they fit a 230SL or early 250SL?
At least one member does not think so: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=9165.msg60607#msg60607
...  (Example - forget about getting proper sun visor clips from the classic center, forget about getting the proper left and right fresh air vent levers if you have an early car, etc).  They will send you a later part that is wrong for both of those. ...
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 19:05:14 »
Dear Tom (and others),

It is great to see you here on the site (again) and your help and advice is highly appreciated.

I highly admire your great help and great experience in the field of MB parts - well, which is your profession. You have been of great help for many of us including myself (when I still lived in the States).

Unfortunately, in this case MB cannot help. :'(
A couple of years ago they started to get these early style sun-visor clips (part number 113 811 0140) remanufactured after an official request of the German SL-Club and the parts number of the resulting part is still correct. However the part itself is not correct and we discussed this here thoroughly in a previous thread.

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8970.0

In summary, the current part provided by MB does not have the correct slanted angle for the clip section itself and as a result the clamp section of the sun-visor will not snap in or only under force and will be incline. Furthermore, the new part is more of a white color instead of beige or greyish beige as it originally was.

As a result Benzportland, Alfred and others initiated an reproduction trial, which we are currently discussing here.
The resulting current reproduced (non-MB) part is too weak, and a new prototype of more rigid plastic needs to be made.

Nevertheless, please stay on our site as often as you can, your help and comments are always highly appreciated.

Best wishes from Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Khurram Darugar

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:45 »
Reviving an old thread with a query if anyone knows where to get biege sunvisor clips (I should prob already know this ...... but as it happens i dont).  Are these available knew or reproduction?
I have a new MB set of light grey ones with beige visors but really a biege colour clips would look much nicer.  I know they werer available as ive seen them but MB dont seem to have them...... either that or you cannot specify the colour.  You get what they send you ???.
Thanks
Kay