Author Topic: A/C equiped how can you tell ?  (Read 4818 times)

ctm14

A/C equiped how can you tell ?
« on: March 23, 2009, 21:12:37 »
I am wondering how you can tell if a vehicle is A/C equiped from pictures.  I noticed that several of the examples I have looked at have a venting consel attached under the dash and wondered if this is the A/C.  Is this how the factory added the option?  When did A/C become available and what are everyones thoughts about purchasing a non-A/C car.  I live in Southern Cal but am thinking air conditioning would be nice to have with the strong sun.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: A/C equiped how can you tell ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 21:17:39 »
A/C was, I gather, not factory ftted but fitted by the dealer/importer.

As such it's clear. The A/C is slung under the dash, most obviously under the passenger side.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

ctm14

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 23:08:35 »
Thanks, 
That is what I was afraid of.  I have been eyeing a few cars online and they don't apear to have this add on.

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 23:11:19 »
Just because you see the evaporator/blower in the car, doesn't mean the A/C works.  :o

Here's a pic of one that does.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 00:01:17 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 23:36:30 »
I believe some of our vendors still sell the Fridgette kit. My 66' 230SL had the original Khulmiester, it even has a cool little Khulmiester decal on the hardtop window. That older system was pulled out in the eighties I think on my car and was replaced with a Buds Benz Fridgette. It took a little work to get it working really great. It took about 5 hours of pulling a vacuum on the system while heating the accumulator and recharging with some good ole R12 I found on Ebay. I had to spend a lot of time remounting the condenser in front of the radiator. My car still has the old condenser that was mounted behind the front bumper and is about 5" square and about 30" long. From reading on this site the old compressors would sometimes break the pulley off the front of the crank on 230SL's. So watch out for that and do some searching here to confirm my memory. I would like to put the old Khulmiester evaporator under the dash and use the modern compressor. The Khulmiester unit looks really cool and better than the new Fridgette in my opinion.
   So, I think you need to know what components are in the car and be prepared to do some work. You can also just buy the kit and install it on any W113. I do highly recommend the system. It is really "cool" to ride around in the rain with the AC going on a hot day. I don't know how it would work in the hot sun with the top up, we don't get those in Upstate New York.

ctm14

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 03:22:07 »
Thanks everyone for the information.  Can someone give me some perspective on how had it is going to be to find an early 250 with a manual transmission and A/C.  I would also like to know if adding it hurts the cars value and how much it costs to add A/C aftermarket.

DavidBrough

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:48:28 »
I fitted the Buds Benz kit to my car and I think its about $1,500, I did the installation myself so don't know how much it may costs if done professionally. In terms of effect on value I think that depends on what you have and what you want, I'm sure a show car with a none period extra would suffer but a driven car with a nice cool interior always wins for me. I certainly wouldn't change mine back as I find I use the A/C quite a lot even in the UK and its excellent.