Author Topic: Unconnected wire...help  (Read 4585 times)

sjiatrou

Unconnected wire...help
« on: February 21, 2009, 23:39:45 »
While troubleshooting some starter switch issues I discovered an unconnected brown wire (see photo) coming out of the wire bundle behind the starter switch.  The other wires from this bundle seem to be going the switch but I have no idea where this is supposed to go.  Any assistance in helping me find out where this belongs and what it goes to will be greatly appreciated.  

The trouble that had me digging in the dash is the same one described extensively in the tech manual, all the electrical powers up when I go to position 2 with the switch but absolutely nothing when I try to engage the starter (although every now and again it fires up.)  The frustrating part is that I just had the switch replaced a few months ago and now it's doing the same thing.

To whomever posted the information about jumpering the Thermo 'G' terminal to the battery +  a big THANK YOU. It proves the starter and solenoid are in good working order and it has helped me get home twice!  

One picture is the wire itself and the other is an attempt to show the bundle from which it protrudes.

Thanks again,
Steve

bpossel

Re: Unconnected wire...help
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:11 »
Steve,

You never know what a previous owner may have done with the wiring, but since the wire color is the same brown color as most ground wires on our W113's, I would say that it is a ground wire.  If the eyelet connector is the same diamater as the bolt and nut shown in your picture, I would connect it there.  Be careful when you unscrew the nut.  On the other side of that bolt is a larger bundle of ground wires.  Make sure that these stay connected.

Another thought...  this loose wire could be part of the bundle of ground wires connected to the bolt in your picture or...  it could be the ground wire that connects to the post on the back of your speedometer for dash lighting?  Are your dash lights working?
Good Luck!
Bob  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:01:18 by bpossel »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:12:44 »
Does your glove compartment map light work? The only wire I've seen with that loop on the end is on the pair of wires that go to my glove compartment light terminal in behind the glove compartment. Although I'm not sure if my car is correct in this instance, so I could be leading you up the garden path even further.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

sjiatrou

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 18:44:12 »
Thanks Bob and James:

The connector is too small to fit over the bolt (in the picture.)  Interestingly, all dash, courtesy lights under the dash and in the glovebox, gauges etc. seem to work with or without this wire grounded.  Since the rains seem to be setting into the central coast I may take some more time and dig a little deeper into the mystery wire.

Steve

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 19:44:56 »
Steve,
That wire looks exactly the same as the one that goes to the back of the speedo or tach.
Gives extra grounding to the cluster as they sometimes are not metal to metal when inserted to the dash with the rubber isolators.
Check the back of the speedo or tach and check.
Walter
1967 220SL-diesel

sjiatrou

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:20:23 »
Thanks for the information. I will be opening things up again next week so I'll focus on the tach/speedo.