Author Topic: starter issues  (Read 7278 times)

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
starter issues
« on: February 15, 2009, 16:19:24 »
when I turn the ignitionkey I only hear a click. I did some research in the technical pages and found out there is a neutral safety switch on the transmission. Where can I find it, how can I test it and what is it's purpose? I want to control this first before overhauling the starter. Any one there with experience on this subject? Thanks in advance!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: starter issues
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 19:46:02 »
For an automatic car, the neutral safety switch is mounted on the firewall, near the brake booster (LHD). It is a small brown box, about the size of a deck of playing cards. There should be a cable running up from the shift mechanism that controls the lever arm on the switch. You can pop off the cable end and then try the lever arm in a different position, or move it slightly to see if it makes a difference.

If you have a manual there is a switch, but I do not know the location or operation for that, there were several recent posts on that, try the search.

Is the battery alright? The clicking noise could be a symptom of that.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 00:29:56 »
If it's much of a click, check the battery and see if it's dead.  Or it is just the click of the starting stuff and the fuel pump -- both of those will make a click even if the neutral (and park) safety switch is not properly aligned.   If the battery is good and if you have an automatic, try starting the car with the selector in each of the transmission positions.  If it works in the wrong position, then either your linkage is not aligned or you need to adjust the switch that checks for neutral or park.  (I'm betting that it's sloppy linkage or mis-adjusted linkage..)
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:43:09 »
Hello,

Start with the easy inexpensive items first.  Check the battery and the battery connections.  Turn the headlights on and try to start the car. If the headlights stay nice and bright when you try to start the car, the battery and its connections are probally not the problem. 

Next check the neutral safety switch as mentioned. Moving the lever arm on the firewall will normally tell you whether the linkage or cable is bad.

If all these items do not turn up the problem, the starter itself can be defective.  A blow to the starter while turning the key to start, will often bring it to life temporarily.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:43:30 »
Thanks for the replies. For the record, I replaced the battery recently . The car was out of use because of a restoration. I did start it with another battery, eveything OK. With the new battery I managed to let the engine turn around one time before I shut off ignition (I thoughed it was ok because the engine turned around). A few days later I wanted to restart the car and I only heared a loud click. I tried to bang the starter while a friend tried to start the car without result.I then connected the starter directly to the battery ( with startingcables) also without result. My guess is that may be the colebrushe are finished so I have to give the starter in repair. Is this the logic way of thinking or can I do something more before taking the starter out?

Paul.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 15:39:37 »
Thanks for the replies. For the record, I replaced the battery recently . The car was out of use because of a restoration. I did start it with another battery, eveything OK. With the new battery I managed to let the engine turn around one time before I shut off ignition (I thoughed it was ok because the engine turned around). A few days later I wanted to restart the car and I only heared a loud click. I tried to bang the starter while a friend tried to start the car without result.I then connected the starter directly to the battery ( with startingcables) also without result. My guess is that may be the colebrushe are finished so I have to give the starter in repair. Is this the logic way of thinking or can I do something more before taking the starter out?

Paul.
Before you do anything that is lots of work, just confirm that you can't jumpstart the car from another RUNNING car.  (Not just another battery).
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 19:46:11 »
What I mean is that I connected the starter directly to my battery and thus giving it a direct powersupply,

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 00:30:31 »
What I mean is that I connected the starter directly to my battery and thus giving it a direct powersupply,
I would still do what I said - jump start the car from a running car.  The voltage will be about 14.4 or something and see if that makes a difference to your starter.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

k

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 16:49:30 »
try starting the car in neutral....

I had same issue after restroation; turned out to be worn/brokern auto trans linkage bushings (the plastic ones).

The car would intermitently not start in Park; and sometimes roll on incline :o), unless you jiggled the tramsmission lever, took out key amd retried.

Basically the lever wasnt seating, and caused the neutral safety linkage to be out of phase/alignment.

With new bushings ($20) the lever action is much more linear/positive and Park/start issue is gone.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 18:58:35 »
try starting the car in neutral....

Already went through that above, except suggested trying to start the car in all transmission selector positions...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

pablo_o2

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 15:07:52 »
I finally broughed the starter to a Bosch center and the relay was broke. After replacing the relay on the starter the problem was fixed and it started from the first click. What a nice feeling that is...