Author Topic: turn signal relay  (Read 7490 times)

rrwsfent

turn signal relay
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:42 »
Where is this located?  How do I get to it?

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: turn signal relay
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 07:44:27 »
It's under the dash, on the left of the steering column. It is a round, silvery device (see the picture below, the grayed out device next to #11). Note that the original relay is not available any longer. If you buy a replacement (from http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/), it's on page 54.c, item 11, € 52,66 it comes with instructions on how to rewire your connector (see Technical Manual, http://www.sl113.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Electrical.Connectors) to make it work with the new pin-out.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

menesesjesse

• Silver
  • USA, MD, Indian Head
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 13:59:08 »
Peter is correct on the location.  If you want to save a buck I recommend getting a standard thermal flasher from a parts store.  I found one that fit right into the old relays cannister and rewired it by adding a standard 3 prong thermal flasher. Most flashers have letters on them designating what they are suppose to be connected to.  Through some trial and error I have come up with what works correctly.  The flasher should have an X, P, and L prongs on it.  New wires will need to fabricated using bullets to match the OEM plug.  Connect as follows:
Wire 54 will go to the X prong
Wire 31 will go to the P prong
Wire 15 will go to the L prong
 You should be able to figure out the wire numbers by looking at the old flasher.  The old flasher will have the numbers engraved next to the prongs.  The total cost for a std thermal will set you back 10 bucks and the rewiring is necessary anyway due to the fact that mercedes doesnt make the direct replacement anymore. I hope this helps.
Jesse
Jesse
1966 Mercedes 230 SL auto
2003 Mercedes E500
1992 Ford F150
1994 Ford Bronco
2019 Shelby GT350R
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 15:09:35 »
here's
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 13:16:55 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

al_lieffring

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 23:28:01 »
Peter is correct on the location.  If you want to save a buck I recommend getting a standard thermal flasher from a parts store.  I found one that fit right into the old relays cannister and rewired it by adding a standard 3 prong thermal flasher. Most flashers have letters on them designating what they are suppose to be connected to.  Through some trial and error I have come up with what works correctly.  The flasher should have an X, P, and L prongs on it.  New wires will need to fabricated using bullets to match the OEM plug.  Connect as follows:
Wire 54 will go to the X prong
Wire 31 will go to the P prong
Wire 15 will go to the L prong
 You should be able to figure out the wire numbers by looking at the old flasher.  The old flasher will have the numbers engraved next to the prongs.  The total cost for a std thermal will set you back 10 bucks and the rewiring is necessary anyway due to the fact that mercedes doesnt make the direct replacement anymore. I hope this helps.
Jesse

Whoa stop the bus! These instructions are problematic, possibly even dangerous.
The installation above may be working but I would not reccomend doing this.
here's why.

First, the three wires that connect to the factory flasher (blinkgeber) are
15, Power (+) from fuse number 5
54, output to the turn signal switch
31, ground.

The 3 (three) terminal flasher cans sold in auto parts stores are designed for cars with a single flashing indicator on the instrument panel for both directional signals
from what I remember, the terminals are;
x.  is power from the ignition
L   is for the lamp output to the turn signal switch
P.  is for the panel indicator.

So if a flasher were installed the way the instructions above are listed, the panel lamp output will be shorted directly to ground. It may be working but I would strongly urge people not to do it this way.

A better plan would be to use the common parts store flasher can with 2 (two) terminals , connect them to the 15 (+) wire and 54 output to the flasher switch wire and tape off the brown 31 ground wire.

Also a bracket will need to be fabricated so the flasher's clicking sound will transfer into the steering column so it will be audible by the driver.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:34:45 by al_lieffring »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 15:53:18 »
Under the dash on the left of the steering column. See first post in thread.
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

BABAK

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • USA, CA, Valencia
69 280sl dark olive automatic
71 280sl bronze brown
70 280se coupe light Ivory
59 190sl
61 190sl
www.vintageeuroparts.com