Author Topic: Pitting on camshaft  (Read 5106 times)

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
Pitting on camshaft
« on: January 21, 2009, 00:46:08 »

As the subject line states, I have a pitted camshaft, on a '66 230SL. 

The PO claimed he "rebuilt" the engine but he had not installed it into the car when I purchased (never again for me).  The car had had a water/head failure with original owner, then sat dead for unknown time until the PO purchased it.  There are the bills for new main bearings, rod bearings, rings, and install for all those items, from the PO, plus a "new" used head and crank polish.  The PO claimed a rebuild on the head, and the paper is there, and a new timing chain - no paper on that.

Before started to install this engine, I decided to check valve timing, and it was off, first one tooth on cam, then 5 degrees stretch.  So I rolled in a new chain and timing is now perfect.  While the valve cover was off, I checked the valve clearance and it was off.  'Got that done, but then I noticed 4 lobes on the camshaft have pits.  Two lobes have some pits at the high spot.  There are no areas where the pits connect, I'd say at worst the pits cover 20% of the area of small sections of the running surface of a lobe.

I've seen other forum sites on the M-B diesels (I have a 220D) with rusted cams cleaned up and run.  This cam is clean, with shiny surfaces around the pits.  What would be the problem(s) with running a cam with some pitting?  It seems the cam is just as easy to take out with the engine in the car, so I'm tempted to install the engine and try it.  Or should I stop, pull the cam, and have a grind done?

How much should a grind cost and does it hurt the cam?

Any opinions?

Thanks, Ron

PS I will pull the injection pump and check its timing, I don't trust the PO now.
1966 230SL, euro

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Pitting on camshaft
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 03:07:10 »
Hello Ron,

These camshafts are surface hardened.  If you re-grind one without hardening it afterward, it will not last.  The cams are very tough. I would tend to try it as it is. I have seen very rusty camshafts clean up and run just fine. Make sure the rocker arms have no flat spots worn in them. They also are surface hardened. 

You will see the darker base metal showing through the hardened surface if you have  any worn areas.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

Desertpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, AZ, Tucson
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 14:23:58 »
Run it, if as discribed, it will be fine, quiet and last for many moons!
kb

Ron

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Arroyo Grande
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 19:56:14 »

That's wonderful news.  After many problems in getting this car back together, I'm please another issue has not been added to the already full plate.  Thanks you two, Ron

1966 230SL, euro