Author Topic: When a tree falls....  (Read 11130 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
When a tree falls....
« on: January 15, 2009, 20:12:19 »
So, I am curious. I have my log-in set for continuous. And of course, everytime I am actually on the site, I see me as a user. My question is, am I noted to the viewing public as on-line even when I am away from the site? Because I think I may have missed an hour yesterday... :D

James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: When a tree falls....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 22:59:00 »
If you haven't moved (i.e. your session key has not seen activity for about 15 minutes) the system presumes you have left, and are off-line. The system uses a cookie to log you in. If the total time on the top right of the screen does not equal wall time since you visited the site first, you're ok.

If it says something like "Total time logged in: 65 days, 12 hours and 14 minutes", boy, have you got problems.

For me (and I do spend a fair amount of time on the site) it says today, on the 15th of january: 2 days, 19 hours, and 13 minutes...

Not a lot of people can top that today, but you (with 1 day, 12 hours and 52 minutes), are getting close. You are a far more prolific poster though, with 2023 posts!

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 23:29:56 »
Well that all makes perfect sense.  I do a lot of back and forth from the site to elsewhere but can't seem to stay away for long.

And to those that might say -- get a life -- I say... my Pagoda is my life! Of course, not exactly -- but am crazy about the old beast. When I am not tinkering with it, or better yet driving it -- I can at least learn and share stuff about it here...Thanks Peter.
James
63 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 23:34:39 »
So James... are you gonna make it to PUB?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:36 »
Highly unlikely Peter. I torture myself with the idea everytime but its a huge longshot. If only Joe lived on the West Coast!!
James
63 230SL

psmith

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 04:59:31 »
Hey James, I'm at 1 day and 3 hours!  I'm almost as obsessive as you  ;)  I thought about Blacklick this year but then the economy canceled my plans.  Maybe we should try to plan something for the off years here on the west coast and try to coerce  Joe and others come out. 

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:05:43 »
If you'd like to see the top-10 members with the least amount of life, have a look here: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?action=stats

The statistics are at the bottom right... Most Time online.

My excuse is that I need to monitor the site and make sure it's running well. What's yours ?

Peter

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 12:12:02 »
I need to monitor this site to help keep my Pagoda running well.
A laptop next to the sofa and an understanding wife help too.
It also helps that the car gets better and better every time my wife and I take it out. The car was pretty bad before.
Besides the great info, there is often some good smiles brought on by the comments, sometimes dry and sarcastic, often quite sophisticated, made by the erudite members of this forum.
Pick any excuse.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 14:03:56 »
 :D

Now we know...