Author Topic: Springs and white markings  (Read 3285 times)

mulrik

Springs and white markings
« on: December 02, 2003, 05:26:38 »
I just installed new pads (upper and lower) on my rear suspension. I noticed the blue painting on the lower winding of my springs, and 4 yellow followed by 2 white strips (order bottom to top). Now, I know the white markings are there to help align the body height with the axle, but what should I align it with? Also, what are the yellow markers for?
Thanks!!

'67 250 SL Papyrus White 113043-10-000023

jeffc280sl

Re: Springs and white markings
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 19:49:28 »
I have a 1970 280SL so I'm not sure the color chart applies to a 250SL.  Springs were color coded and matched in the factory. I replaced my springs with the progressive type.  My old spring were marked the same as yours.  One blue strip near the bottom followed by 4 yellow and 2 white strips near the mid section.  I don't know the meaning of the yellow and white markings.  The number of blue stripes indicates the notch position of the lower spring disc. 1 stripe indicates notch position 1.  2 stripes position 2 and so on for 3 stripes.  The notches are used for fine tuning the rear wheel camber.

Jeff

Jeff Clute
1970 280SL 4-speed

Malc

Re: Springs and white markings
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2003, 06:40:18 »
THe yellow and white markings are probably refering to the spring rate ie Kg/mm or lb/in compression.
So if you have a 200lb/in spring it takes 200lb to squash it 1 inch, 400 to squash 2 inches etc etc
BMW use the same kind of thing, probably getting the springs from the same manufacturer.
what ever rate they are just make sure they all match.
MAlc
Scotland