Author Topic: Radio Supression Strap?  (Read 3168 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Radio Supression Strap?
« on: January 06, 2009, 03:57:03 »
I am trying to figure out something. I have what appears to be a ground strap -- covered with a yellow vinyl sheath -- on the battery side of my engine bay. It has come to my attention mine is misrouted... Mine goes from the front of the engine below the first cylinder toward the shock mount where it is screwed into the subframe arch. Apparently it should instead head toward the radiator? Is this the radio supression cable or something else? Anyone have a picture of the correct set-up?

Here is an excerpt from Tom C. that I think mentions it...

"(In other words, the body was originally left BARE), such as at: The grounding spots for the brown wires near the windshield washer pump, at one of the mounting holes for the voltage regulator, just forward of the coolant reservoir on the inner fender, at the heavy grounding cable from the rear of the engine bay to the engine, at the negative battery terminal cable and for the grounding strap from the cylinder head to the upper, left-hand radiator support hole. The center mounted hood latch apparently was often painted in place along with the bolts that hold it, which is why the area under the latch usually remained without paint. However, I have seen more than a few cars that clearly had the bolts themselves, installed after the cars were painted. This appears to be true especially on cars that were equipped with the radio suppression option, on which a copper contact makes contact with the hood catch plate via an electrically conductive bare spot (30mm diameter bare spot, achieved by masking before the inside of the hood and assembled latch plate were primed and painted). "
James
63 230SL