Author Topic: Euro lenses question  (Read 4353 times)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Euro lenses question
« on: November 28, 2003, 15:33:02 »
Hello 113 admirers,

From time to time I am checking the old Yahoo site again. It's easy for my because I still get the daily digests... :mrgreen:

OK, there was an interesting question of Vaughn the other day about Euro headlight lenses: I tried to answer it and give some  :) wisw[:0] words what I normally shouldn't do. I do not know much about these cars... :x
Anyway, for everybody who might be interested ...[/size=3][/size=2]

Vaughn & Matt,

There _are_ indeed some differences in Euro lenses and in order to confuse you both completely, there have been four different types.

First difference is regular European lens for Bilux headlight. That is the convex lens you use together with these large golf ball-like bulbs. These are the lenses most people refer to.

The more modern one (280 SL late, optional) are for H1 halogen lights and the lens is flat. You sometimes find these lenses too. They're late style but only optional, not stock. These headlights are completely different. Parts (like mirrors, lenses) *are* interchangable but it is not supposed to do so.

The difference *you* saw, Vaughn, refers to different countries. If you had two different round (convex) lenses, one was for left hand drive, the other for right hand drive.

We non-British/Australian/ZA folks should use the lenses made for lhd. Those have the parts number 113 820 04 61 (or 826, I am not more sure) for the convex one.

Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly by now in which direction the *arrow* (or better arrow-like section) in the lens points to which you refer to. I believe to remember they are on the driver's side and point to the passenger side. But it must be the same for both lenses so that your headlights illuminate more the right side of the lane/street and do not flash the opposite traffic.

Let me check what the correct one for the lhd are, I have them at home. I will let you know about the *arrow*.

Best,

Achim
114015 Euro with Euro headlights
113042 Euro with US headlights

>    Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:02:23 -0000
>    From: "souter_us" <retuosm1@cox.net>
> Subject: Re: Euro covering lens
>
> Vaughn,
>
> I have a Euro 230sl and both lens match.  
>
> Matt
>
> --- In W113@yahoogroups.com, "Vaughn"
> <sql_sysan@h...> wrote:
> I got a new lens cover today for my left side.  It exactly matches > the right side.  The left has some differences in the glass.  MB
> says there isn't a left and right anymore. At least that is what
> the parts guy says.  My old ones have an arrow on each.  Left
> points left and right points right.  What is it?  Was there a
> change and so no more left and right?
> Vaughn.
Achim
(Germany)

Bob G

Re: Euro lenses question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 17:30:11 »
Vaughn:
I am going to try to answer some of your question, So let me start with lens left & right.In Germany and the USA, we drive on the right side of the road and the lens are designed to project the light to the right to avoid blinding on-coming traffic. So you see it is not a question of the right and left lens being discontinued but to which country the light is designed to acommodate.

The lights did progress in design and differ in bulb technology and lens differences. I think a good place to research this information is on Daniel Stern lighting in Huston Texas.  I acquired a rare set of H-1 European lights from Daniel Stern and his business can help explain the E- codes differences between our lighting laws and Europe. I hope I am being of some help. If you like, please send me a photo of your lights and your old lenses so I may take a closer look.
Sincerely
Bob Geco
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 17:32:01 by Bob G »

A Dalton

Re: Euro lenses question
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 20:26:20 »
<<<First difference is regular European lens for Bilux headlight. That is the convex lens you use together with these large golf ball-like bulbs. These are the lenses most people refer to.>>>

These ' Golf Ball"  bulbs are the Original Hella high/low with a P45Tt mounting base on the E-Code Euro lights.
 For those that are lucky enough to have them , there are now H-4 Halogens [ normal P-43t base ] available for direct plug-in with the old style P45t bases.. They are about $7 each from Candlepower,Inc.
and are a marked improvement over the Original.  The Euros had the optics back then, but bulb tech was not there yet. Good upgrade for short $$$$.
 For those with US version, there are  Sealed Beam replacement lights that have the E code optics glass with the H4 replaceable lamp fixtures in the base . Still illegal in some states, but many Bikes use them .. Cibbie has them..an easy E code swap for about $50 ea...
 Check your state codes